Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Pistes to avoid in Les Arcs (snowboarder)

Poster: A snowHead
Heard there are a few really flat pistes/sections of pistes in Les Arcs. I am a confident boarder and happy to carry lots of speed but just wondered if there are any REALLY long flat sections which I should avoid. Thanks in advance!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Morning,

I boarded Les Arcs 5 years ago-ish. I don't remember anything super super flat, or having to walk. A few of the blue cat tracks could be either fairly flat, or narrow and full of skiers, not giving much room for turns.

Unless you desperately want to get from one side of the mountain to the other, avoid the blues on the piste map that have a lot of traverse / sideways on them. But that goes for every resort - they tend to be based on the roads that run across the hillsides rather than pistes running down the hill.

I'm there in a fortnight so can report back if we find any horrors!

Jess
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks Jess. Really appreciate it. I will study the piste map a bit more and try to avoid the cat track looking runs!

Enjoy your trip and let me know if you have any tips when you are back!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
As above, almost nothing there to give any real concern.

If pushed I'd point to to centre of the bowl in 2000 has some flatness to it as you directly approach the middle section heading back toward the village, but hugely wide to give you a scope to work it with enough speed to avoid walking.

Also, from Aiguille Rouge, the red that traverses back round into the main ski area (rather than heading off toward Villaroger on the black) holds elevation with fairly gentle gradient to get where it needs. Not a big concern as most boarders seem to make it, if a little slow at points, without having to step out.

Other than that from memory it's all really good from that aspect.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks very much. All sounds promising.

Do you think it is worth the odd trip over to La Plagne?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
We did 1 day over there, that was included in the Les Arcs lift pass we had.

Almost worth it just for the view in the big lift across the valley. Beyond that, La Plagne was fine as I remember, but there was so much to explore in Les Arcs that for one week it didn't make a huge impact going over there. If it's a freebie, give it a go, otherwise I wouldn't worry too much.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@winterstickboarder, It depends to some extent on snow conditions but I have towed boarders along Gollet (I beleive this may have been renames Traverse) in the past. Just at the bottom station of the Arcabule lift there is a flatish section that has a tow rope to help you over. Belvadere as it approaches Charmattodger is flat and usually needs poling on skis if you drift too low, but very few people seem to find that route to Vallandry anyway. Thats all that really comes to mind.

I am not sure if it is the pistes or simply that boarding is going out of fashion but you don't see a lot of boarders in Les Arcs. On my last count it was 1 in 20 or about 5%
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Boarding is gradually dropping off I think. Skiing is becoming more 'cool' now. I have so much more fun boarding though!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@winterstickboarder, Off the top of L'Arpette avoid Plan round the reservoir. Bottom of Col de la Chal if heading to Grand Col from top of the Plagnettes lifts. Keep the speed up through Arc 2000 if heading for Lanchettes 45. Rhonaz through the trees can be a bit of a pain if heading back from Villaroger. No issues on the 1600/1800 side.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

Bottom of Col de la Chal if heading to Grand Col from top of the Plagnettes lifts

Forgot about that one. If the snow is a bit soft you may have to walk
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
RedandWhiteFlachau wrote:
@winterstickboarder, Off the top of L'Arpette avoid Plan round the reservoir. Bottom of Col de la Chal if heading to Grand Col from top of the Plagnettes lifts. Keep the speed up through Arc 2000 if heading for Lanchettes 45. Rhonaz through the trees can be a bit of a pain if heading back from Villaroger. No issues on the 1600/1800 side.

Thank you!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
My memory of Les Arcs was that there were many flat blues and that's one of the reasons why I never went back.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
If you do go to La Plagne (not sure if a day there is including on the Les Arcs pass any more) avoid returning via Route des Bauches. The "0% gradient" marked on the piste map is there for a reason!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thank you. We have the full pass so will most likely go to La Plagne at least once.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@winterstickboarder, Foret, Belvedere and Traversee are all a bit flat. The last is unpleasant even on skis
latest report
red 27 wrote:
@winterstickboarder, Foret, Belvedere and Traversee are all a bit flat. The last is unpleasant even on skis

Thank you. Any advice for 'must do' runs?
snow report
winterstickboarder wrote:

ooooh so many, it's a cracking area...

The reds down through the trees to Peisey Vallandry (sp) are the classics of the area. I also like Combe and Ecreuill (sp) over towards the Vanoise express and Arolles at the other end near Arc 1600.

Top to bottom Aiguille Rouge to villaroger is also a monster.

Cracking area - for me too many runs are left 'Natur' which is french for 'carnt be bovvered to bash 'em' but even so the scope and scale and variety are 2nd to none in France IMO
latest report
red 27 wrote:
winterstickboarder wrote:

ooooh so many, it's a cracking area...

The reds down through the trees to Peisey Vallandry (sp) are the classics of the area. I also like Combe and Ecreuill (sp) over towards the Vanoise express and Arolles at the other end near Arc 1600.

Top to bottom Aiguille Rouge to villaroger is also a monster.

Cracking area - for me too many runs are left 'Natur' which is french for 'carnt be bovvered to bash 'em' but even so the scope and scale and variety are 2nd to none in France IMO

I'm staying in Peisey so that bodes well. Yeah went to 3 valleys a few years ago and got really frustrated at the amount of moguls. Do-able, but not much fun.
snow report
Quote:

I'm staying in Peisey so that bodes well. Yeah went to 3 valleys a few years ago and got really frustrated at the amount of moguls. Do-able, but not much fun.

The natur pistes are a feature of Les Arcs. Most blacks and some reds are nutur. They are left as they are meant to be
snow report
johnE wrote:
Quote:

The natur pistes are a feature of Les Arcs. Most blacks and some reds are nutur. They are left as they are meant to be

I get that, but I'm just saying it can be frustrating as it would be nice to ride steep terrain that's not got giant moguls on it.
latest report
Nothing to avoid. And you need to carry as much speed as possible for only one run, as I remember, Belvedere 1, crossing the mountain, over ARC 1800 to Vallandry. Nothing else.
snow conditions
Ditto
ski holidays
red 27 wrote:
... I also like Combe and Ecreuill (sp) ...

Glad to hear it, but yes your spelling needs some attention!! snowHead
snow report
kosmoz wrote:
Nothing to avoid. And you need to carry as much speed as possible for only one run, as I remember, Belvedere 1, crossing the mountain, over ARC 1800 to Vallandry. Nothing else.
Traversée 1 is also best avoided on a board, which is a shame as it's where you drop out of plenty off nice off-piste through the trees. It's pretty flat in places and if the snow is running slow will often need skating on skis, or stepping out of on a board.

Not much other than that. The blue Col de la Chal as you head towards the Grand Col chairlift has a flat section on it which often needs a skate/push, but not for long and more than worthwhile to get to the chairlift as that accesses some great terrain.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy