Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Exercise. Fitness and a bit less of the fatness

Poster: A snowHead
I've accepted that I'm unlikely to lose the weight I want and keep it all off, so I'm happy enough with having to diet repeatedly. My usual annual pattern is to be at my lightest & fittest just before Xmas, and then between the holidays & the ski season I"m heavier again by about now. I had managed to reduce the annual swing from a couple of stone to a couple of kilos, but moving house last summer meant I started this past season off still carrying the weight I'd normally have lost, and now after my Bash Crash I'm stuck on the couch on a Netflix & junk food binge, and the supply of wine I brought home which I'd expected to last through to next season might not see the equinox! By the time the cast is off and I'm mobile again I'll be the size of a baby elephant at this rate.

But I know with confidence I'll have it all shifted again by next season.

I have a couple of different diet regimes I stick to rigidly, but mix them up so I don't get bored. I normally start off with a few days of M&S Count on us meals, then go very low carb. Absolutely no alcohol, or I'm done for. And I don't buy more calories than I'm planning to eat.

As for exercise, I'm the same Hells Bells, most of the typical sports or exercises just don't work for me. I needed to figure out why skiing was the only thing that has kept my interest and try to find something else that provided the same benefit and motivation. For me it's the total focus required, the fact that I can't ski hard and think about anything else except the next turn. It just switches off the rest of my brain, which none of the other sports do. Running, cycling, swimming - my brain is still going a mile a minute thinking about everything else in my life.

I found that indoor climbing works for me. It's the same sense of focus on the next move, along with the adrenaline kick that I need. Hill walking does it too, so long as its challenging terrain rather than a gentle stroll, but it's fairly flat where I live so I don't often get the time.

One simple change to make is always take the stairs. And have a goal - mine is fitting back into my skinny ski pants for the first trip next season snowHead
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
@DB, being overweight is a defect, as is being alcoholic, drug dependant, poor personal hygiene, rudeness, arrogance, etc etc Being drunk is dangerous to those around the drunk, you can't function normally if one is drunk. drunk.
People are overweight because of the availability and pricing of food. Historically, only the rich were fat, now it is becoming the reverse.
I think it is pretty rude to point out any defect in a person.

Very very very few people are overweight because of a medical condition. You don't get many fat people in 3rd world countries where food is short - in that sense we are all rich.

Nobody was pointing out a defect in anyone. THE OP asked a question, I gave some straight truth (which quite a few people agreed with) then came the excuses (you live in the alps, I work 9 hrs a day etc) as if there was a valid reason some people are slim and fit but some aren't, then came the you've been hurtful etc. Yes it is easier for some than others (genectics etc) but 99.995637245849 % of us could be a healthy weight. Twins separated into different cultures / locations have been found to match the stats of that country when it comes to weight related illnesses (i.e. more diet than genectic related).

My brother doesn't exercise and eats crap a lot of the time - he's had a severe wakeup call recently having his first heart attack at 49. As for saying it doesn't affect anyone else like drunks, had he not survived it would have affected us serverly (his family).

My point is while you believe someone or something else is responsible for your weight you will never get it under control (and keep it that way). Not just our weight or genetics set overweight/healthy weight people apart - I'd say mostly it's our state of mind in relation to weight loss.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Fri 11-05-18 14:26; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hells Bells wrote:
Quote:

I think it is pretty rude to point out any defect in a person.

+1. I'd soon lose friends if I kept calling them fat or even drunks. I do know someone well who once did that to some of my snowHeads friends. Our friendship considerably cooled after that time. I still see the person very occasionally but no longer keep in touch with them as much. As for the 'fat drunks' referred to , they are still my friends.

Everyone is entitled to live the way they wish but it does have an impact on others when it affects health.
If a friend really wanted to reduce their weight and asked me how I'd be truthful with them, it's changing the mindset and changing their current routine.
If they kept coming up with excuse after excuse they would still be my friend, I'd just be sorry for them and worry about how it was going to affect them in the long term (as I worry about my brother at the moment).
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
T Bar wrote:
DB wrote:

Then there are a lot of people who are never over weight because they invest the time and effort in exercising and eating well all their lives, not just on crash diets and binge exercise plans - do these people get praise or are they treated with animosity?
I wonder if this is one of the reasons so many in our society are overweight today.

Utterly bizarre, I've never heard of anyone of normal weight treated with animosity because of it.

Me neither. I agree that strikes me as really bizarre.

BTW, I'm of "normal weight". So I speak from personal experience.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@DB, I understand, much clearer thank you.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

I found that indoor climbing works for me. It's the same sense of focus on the next move, along with the adrenaline kick that I need. Hill walking does it too, so long as its challenging terrain rather than a gentle stroll, but it's fairly flat where I live so I don't often get the time

@Pending repair, mountain biking might do it. Even better if you can find some trail that has obstacles. Going fast enough, the twist and turns of any woods trail will keep you focus even on flat terrain. Obstacles will provide more challenge and adrenalin as reward.

I found mountain biking being closest to skiing in fun. Very Happy (in fact, I got into mtn biking when I picked up a flyer at the mountain I was skiing at advertising lift-served mtn biking in the summer. The rest, as they say, is history...)
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
abc wrote:
T Bar wrote:
DB wrote:

Then there are a lot of people who are never over weight because they invest the time and effort in exercising and eating well all their lives, not just on crash diets and binge exercise plans - do these people get praise or are they treated with animosity?
I wonder if this is one of the reasons so many in our society are overweight today.

Utterly bizarre, I've never heard of anyone of normal weight treated with animosity because of it.

Me neither. I agree that strikes me as really bizarre.

BTW, I'm of "normal weight". So I speak from personal experience.

Really, so no one has ever thought that someone is slim because of their genetics and been jealous because of this?

Here in Austria they have a saying "Sport ist Mord" (sport is murder) generally used by coach potatoes as a derogatory term for 'fitness freaks'.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
abc wrote:
Quote:

I found that indoor climbing works for me. It's the same sense of focus on the next move, along with the adrenaline kick that I need. Hill walking does it too, so long as its challenging terrain rather than a gentle stroll, but it's fairly flat where I live so I don't often get the time

@Pending repair, mountain biking might do it. Even better if you can find some trail that has obstacles. Going fast enough, the twist and turns of any woods trail will keep you focus even on flat terrain. Obstacles will provide more challenge and adrenalin as reward.

I found mountain biking being closest to skiing in fun. Very Happy (in fact, I got into mtn biking when I picked up a flyer at the mountain I was skiing at advertising lift-served mtn biking in the summer. The rest, as they say, is history...)

I know it should work... but mountain biking terrifies me! Whatever about crashing going downhill into soft snow, the idea of crashing into rocks and trees just doesn't appeal. That reminds me, someone persuaded me to try to learn to unicycle a while ago. I gave it a go, and wow, what a core workout it was, even without mastering it! Must dig it out of the garage again and have another go this summer...
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

I know it should work... but mountain biking terrifies me!

Ditto. I fell off down a hillside between Chantemerle and Briancon and left most of my back on the side of a tree. No thank you. A tree saved me from a much nastier fate into a very fast moving river 100m below.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I'm not sure if anyone has thrown this into the discussion, but I always thought skiing was exercise and I could eat/drink what I wanted on a skiing holiday. Now having worn various heart rate devices and tracked what I do, it really is not exercise at all and burns a couple of hundred calories tops for me.

The only way to make skiing exercise for me it to slog uphill at a fast rate!!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@kitenski, it certainly burnt enough for me to gain just 300g in 3 weeks. I was more careful what I ate though I didn't really cut back on wine.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@kitenski, that's what I've been saying for a long time, and what do I know, though there are distinct sets of people who will not agree as they think they know better - each to their own, if they don't want to take advice then so be it but they will always be fighting the flab Laughing
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@kitenski, @Weathercam, agreed. In the days when I made very heavy weather of skiing I used to lose weight. Now that my technique is somewhat improved, I no longer do.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Weathercam, but I don't ski in order to fight flab, so advice is neither here nor there.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Hurtle, and I don't really expect to. Although I did ski further and longer this winter than I had in the past.
snow conditions
Hells Bells wrote:
@Hurtle, and I don't really expect to. Although I did ski further and longer this winter than I had in the past.
I feel it's technique which has helped me to do that, not fitness.
ski holidays
@Hurtle, for me, I couldn't say that between last winter and this one, as I hadn't had any instruction to improve it for at least a couple of years until my lesson with @HuskyDave on the EoSB.
ski holidays
DB wrote:
Twins separated into different cultures / locations have been found to match the stats of that country when it comes to weight related illnesses (i.e. more diet than genectic related).

My point is while you believe someone or something else is responsible for your weight you will never get it under control

Your statements imply that it is your environment that is responsible for your weight rather than your personality.
ski holidays
T Bar wrote:
DB wrote:
Twins separated into different cultures / locations have been found to match the stats of that country when it comes to weight related illnesses (i.e. more diet than genectic related).

My point is while you believe someone or something else is responsible for your weight you will never get it under control

Your statements imply that it is your environment that is responsible for your weight rather than your personality.

Many people tend to follow the norm, the norm in the UK leading to around 63% being overweight.
I'm responsible for my general state of over / under weight. I choose to follow the norm or not. I choose to exercise or not. No one forces a particular food / alcohol etc on me.
If I use excuses and try to make someone / something else responsible for my weight then the person I'm most trying to kid is myself.
snow conditions
Blush
DB wrote:
T Bar wrote:
DB wrote:

Many people tend to follow the norm, the norm in the UK leading to around 63% being overweight.
I'm responsible for my general state of over / under weight. I choose to follow the norm or not. I choose to exercise or not. No one forces a particular food / alcohol etc on me.
If I use excuses and try to make someone / something else responsible for my weight then the person I'm most trying to kid is myself.

I am neither complementing nor criticising you, but if you and your identical alter ego are put into two different environments and in one you turn out fat and in one skinny, you can realistically claim neither credit for one nor blame for the other, it is the environment that had forced it upon you.
latest report
Hells Bells wrote:
Quote:

I know it should work... but mountain biking terrifies me!

Ditto. I fell off down a hillside between Chantemerle and Briancon and left most of my back on the side of a tree. No thank you. A tree saved me from a much nastier fate into a very fast moving river 100m below.

I mountain bike for years. Even raced a bit. Lots of small "unplanned, creative dismount" that don't necessary land on my feet. Inspected a few trees very closely.

But it was cycling on the road that earned me TWO broken collarbones! Sad

And a couple of broken ribs from skiing. rolling eyes

All my "high risk sports" (mtn biking, whitewater kayaking), I always finish the day with all the bones intact, all ligaments attached (if not all the skins in place)
snow conditions
The environment debate is interesting.

When I go back to the UK and my home town Worthing, and walk into town I'm gobsmacked by the general poor state of people, it's so depressing to see some 25 year old with two or three kids in tow all grossly overweight, probably on housing, welfare and numerous other benefits and then when the sun shines it now seems fashionable for them to wear clothes that show their Michelin "man" figures, they don't seem to care that they are overweight and are not at all conscious of it, in fact they almost seem proud.

For sure the above tends to be a demographic issue and hence environment.

If however I walk down into Briancon (our local town) you very rarely see the same sights, and in the inter-season like we're in at the moment everyone in the bar last night was more or less of normal physique with no one overweight, though there are a couple of exceptions (one being a ski instructor) that do spring to mind.

I'm pretty sure if one was overweight and you came to live in the Alps / Beach (healthier environment ) you'd soon make more of a drastic effort to loose that excess baggage as you'd stick out like a sore thumb and would be far more conscious of how people might perceive you!
ski holidays
@T Bar,
You don‘t have to be a sheep and copy the rest esp when 63% are overweight. I‘ve lived in the UK and Austria for a few decades niether are bastians of healthy eating but I‘ve almost always kept myself trim and fit. Someone with the right mindset not to become a fat sheep will stay slim & healthy irrespective of the enviroment. A weak mind will look for someone/something else to blame, play the victim #first world problems. A strong mind will believe in themselves, be honest with themselves and find a way.
snow report
kitenski wrote:
I'm not sure if anyone has thrown this into the discussion, but I always thought skiing was exercise and I could eat/drink what I wanted on a skiing holiday. Now having worn various heart rate devices and tracked what I do, it really is not exercise at all and burns a couple of hundred calories tops for me.

The only way to make skiing exercise for me it to slog uphill at a fast rate!!

For me, it's not the actual skiing that loses calories, its the 'happy' feeling I get from the skiing (endorphins and adrenalin?!) that give me a rush/buzz, which in turn stops me eating so much! (I'm a comfort eater Sad ). I also find that once I've been skiing, I'll have more energy (again I guess this is endorphins?) so I tend to do more off the piste

This season has been a total wash out for me due to smashing a shoulder on tarmac back in August and the resulting half shoulder replacement op. I managed to work (drive) but was told that I could ski but could NOT fall or be knocked over Shocked So, I didn't ski (well, three times! on First tracks) in favour of having a mostly working shoulder so I could ride a motorbike in the summer! At the end of the season I did four very short (but each longer than the first) early morning tours which gave me more of a buzz than a normal morning of skiing would, and that is probably the way I'll go next season (I have a few friends here that are keen on early morning touring Smile )

I hate the gym and whilst I did start to enjoy a little bit of road cycling, I'm not confident that I will be able to do that this summer. So, I have to walk. Once the snow is gone and the mountains are a bit drier, I plan to walk to some of the places I want to tour to in the winter - one to see if I can and two to get fitter to be able to tour. Hopefully the walking will help with weight loss and also give me some of that buzz that I get from touring. Hopefully (because I've never been a fan of walking in general. I figure walking in the mountains will be much more fun than around Bristol! LOL)

I've always been curvy and was brought up being told I was fat (in old photos, I wasn't fat at all, but my sister was anorexic and I had a 50's type of curvy figure, so all the females in my family told me I was fat). This did a lot of damage to my psyche, and it's take me years to get my head around the fact that actually, curvy is ok. However, in the last ten years I've always had an injury of some sort that has made things difficult when it comes to exercise (foot and knee injuries were especially debilitating given my favourite exercise was rock n roll dancing!).

I haven't ever kidded myself. I know I eat too much and do too little. And when I find something that I can do that I enjoy (and I'm not injured!) I have fun and lose weight! I did always find that going back to the uk for the summer meant I would put on a lot of the weight that I lost in the winters. But, I wasn't as active, didn't have as good a diet and really didn't want to be there.

So, environment and mental health is a big thing for me. And now I've sorted the environment, I just have to keep an eye on the mental health and be active - then I'll lose weight. It used to happen every winter I was chalet hosting. And even with the lack of ability through injury I still lost a bit without effort. This summer is all about effort and walking Very Happy

I guess, in a long winded roundabout way I'm saying that weight gain/loss is not always simple or easy. Sure, for some it is, but not always. Even when you know the reasons and you don't kid yourself, outside influences are just that and can have a big effect
snow conditions
@chaletgirl, great post.
snow report
Hells Bells wrote:
@chaletgirl, great post.
Absolutely.
latest report
DB wrote:
@T Bar,
You don‘t have to be a sheep and copy the rest esp when 63% are overweight. I‘ve lived in the UK and Austria for a few decades niether are bastians of healthy eating but I‘ve almost always kept myself trim and fit. Someone with the right mindset not to become a fat sheep will stay slim & healthy irrespective of the enviroment. A weak mind will look for someone/something else to blame, play the victim #first world problems. A strong mind will believe in themselves, be honest with themselves and find a way.

Do you know you have a 'strong mind' or do you just have the good fortune to enjoy exercise more?
I know plenty of people who exhibit mental strength in some areas but are overweight, equally I know plenty of people who are slim but exhibit no mental strength in other areas.
snow report
T Bar wrote:
DB wrote:
@T Bar,

Do you know you have a 'strong mind' or do you just have the good fortune to enjoy exercise more?
I know plenty of people who exhibit mental strength in some areas but are overweight, equally I know plenty of people who are slim but exhibit no mental strength in other areas.

Some exercises I hate (e.g. gym work) others I really like (MTB'ing, Alpine skiing, Ski touring, boxing training). Yes there are many times when I think it would be easier to just sit on the couch and pig out.
When I first came to Austria the heavier diet and not sorting out some regular exercise had me putting on around 8 kgs (over 10% of my original body weight). My father and brother didn't exercise or eat well and both had their first heart attack around the 50 year old mark. Just because many people around me might follow an unhealthy lifestyle doesn't mean I'm going to follow them off a cliff.

At the end of the day keeping yourself slim and fit isn't a group exercise/therapy, it's a self determination. When no one else is around you have to have the willpower to self disipline and motivate. As soon as I hear anyone use external reasons, I'm hearing a loser. Yes I work full time up to 12 hours a day, yes I've had injuries (busted shoulder from MTB, torn liagments and tibia hairline fracture from skiing) but I'm not looking for medals or sympathy, I'm not doing it to keep up with or please anyone else, I'm doing it for me. I'm nothing special, many others can and have done the same.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@DB,
I am certainly not criticising your exercise /eating regimen.
Good for you.
What I am questioning is your apparent dismissal of others as losers and your implied criticism of those in the thread who are overweight.
You yourself have pointed out that you can put the same person in two different environments and in one they will turn out obeses and in the other of normal weight.
This of itself demonstrates that it is not purely a matter of what is within a person but also the outward pressures a person is subject too.
If someone although overweight has maintained that same weight for a decade, they have had exactly the same energy balance as a thinner person who has maintained the same weight for a decade and if they do not enjoy exercise may have had to exhibit considerable more self control around food.
I am not suggesting there is no element of free will and self control when it comes to maintaining a healthy weight but I don't think castigating those who do not as losers is likely to either help them or help what is to an extent a societal problem that appears to begin early in life.
(I also don't agree with the opposite extreme that seems to becoming more prevalent of dismissing any discussion of excessive weight as body-shaming and putting it akin to racism)
snow conditions
@T Bar, excellent post. I find the smugness and dismissivenessof DB's posts hard to take. Worth remembering that strength of mind can be a moving target and can sometimes do an unexpected bunk.
latest report
@T Bar, excellent post.
I am convinced that @DB, has no conception that weight gain can be a combination of other things other than just eating too much, but I'll leave it there, because his implication is that I am a fat loser.

and I will skim past @Weathercam's assumption that fat people on benefits are proud of themselves too.

For most people, weight gain is not a deliberate act.
snow report
@Hells Bells, not quite what I was inferring, but I'll let you have your usual snipe rolling eyes

Next time when I'm back in the UK I'll take some photos of what I'm attempting to describe.

In some cultures being fat is admired, such as Jamaica http://www.futurescopes.com/dating/finding-date/2452/countries-where-being-fat-attractive and in urban rap hip hop fashion the showing of rolls of flesh is deemed as cool aka bootylicious.

Though I'm not suggesting that's how you dress in Durham Toofy Grin

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Sat 12-05-18 19:43; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Quote:

do you just have the good fortune to enjoy exercise more?

I definitely am in that category.
snow conditions
@Weathercam, if I dressed like that in Durham, I would probably freeze to death, and if I have misunderstood your post, I apologise.
ski holidays
T Bar wrote:
@DB,
I am certainly not criticising your exercise /eating regimen.
Good for you.
What I am questioning is your apparent dismissal of others as losers and your implied criticism of those in the thread who are overweight.
You yourself have pointed out that you can put the same person in two different environments and in one they will turn out obeses and in the other of normal weight.

By loser I mean someone who isn't going to get fit / slim and maintain that long term. They are going to spend the rest of their lives fighting with their weight.
As I've said before it's a free world, you don't have to be a sheep. You don't have to eat the same processed crap as others. The twins that didn't follow the diet of their new culture didn't end up with the same heath problems. I'm working shifts at the moment, people around me often eat take-aways (burgers, fries, thai food etc) I'll sit there and smile while I drink my green smoothie. At the end of a ski tour I'll often down a green smoothie while the others dive into a restaurant for a massive meal (I'll just have a soup). Every now and again I'll eat what they do but to be honest I often feel crap afterwards (digestion).
As I said earlier in the thread I can't just take one chocolate / sweet so I don't buy much, instead I buy a lot of fruit and use that as a snack.

T Bar wrote:
This of itself demonstrates that it is not purely a matter of what is within a person but also the outward pressures a person is subject too.
If someone although overweight has maintained that same weight for a decade, they have had exactly the same energy balance as a thinner person who has maintained the same weight for a decade and if they do not enjoy exercise may have had to exhibit considerable more self control around food.
I am not suggesting there is no element of free will and self control when it comes to maintaining a healthy weight but I don't think castigating those who do not as losers is likely to either help them or help what is to an extent a societal problem that appears to begin early in life.
(I also don't agree with the opposite extreme that seems to becoming more prevalent of dismissing any discussion of excessive weight as body-shaming and putting it akin to racism)

First world outward pressures. I'm bloody lucky to live in a country where I have a choice of food, some poor sods have no choice or not enough food.

Some will always play the victim card and get all upset, some might get what I'm saying and change their mindset to better their lives. Should we only have one view for fear of upsetting someone?

Futhermore I think playing up to what I see as excuses only supports their belief in that they can't for some reson get fit/slim and supports their current overweight, unfit unhappy self. If they don't believe they can make a change and you support that it will be a self fulfilling prophecy. You might be PC but IMHO you are only supporting their failure. You don't break hard addictions with kid gloves

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Mon 14-05-18 7:25; edited 3 times in total
snow conditions
Hurtle wrote:
@T Bar, excellent post. I find the smugness and dismissivenessof DB's posts hard to take. Worth remembering that strength of mind can be a moving target and can sometimes do an unexpected bunk.

Smug? I don't feel smug at the moment. I've had similar dicussions with my brother over the years and I take no pleasure whatsoever in finding out he's had a heart attack at 49.

Just to be clear I'm not thinking "look at me aren't I all super fit and slim while you are fat losers" it's more "FFS people stop being a sheep, stop looking for excuses, change your mindset and way of life and you can beat this overweight / out of shape shite once and for all."
ski holidays
Hells Bells wrote:
@T Bar, excellent post.
I am convinced that @DB, has no conception that weight gain can be a combination of other things other than just eating too much, but I'll leave it there, because his implication is that I am a fat loser.

OK enlighten me. I haven't seen one study / test supporting that people with the same energy input and expenditure put on different amounts of weight.
I sometimes watch the "biggest loser" weight loss program on german TV. No not to feel smug but because I really admire people who make a massive positive change to their lives. The main difference between the winners and losers is the mindset.

Hells Bells wrote:
For most people, weight gain is not a deliberate act.

I know I've been there, getting/maintaining fit and slim is a very deliberate act.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Sun 13-05-18 7:47; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
@DB, I am sure I saw one which did show that people with the same energy input and expenditure did have differences in weight gain. If I remember right it was to do with gut bacteria? It is something I am intending to read into further as I find the whole subject fascinating.

Another book I am part way through reading is Michael Moseley’s 8 week blood sugar diet (or something like that in the title). He is (at lest in part) blaming the last several decades advice of low fat eating as the root cause of a lot of continued weight gain and obesity trend.
latest report
The conclusions being reached in a lot of the studies really aren’t simple ones if you look across them all (although a lot take a simple premise to test).

They include from what I have read so far (and I am by no means a research scientist within this area!)

• When you sleep (working nights / days)
• How much sleep you have.
• How much you eat
• Exaxtly What you eat
• When you eat it
• How much exercise you do
• The timing of WHEN you do that exercise in relation to what you eat

This creates a lot of complexity and means that people will end up tackling one (or two aspects) of the root cause but see very limited (if any) success.

I do think the apparent desire to tell people “it is simple” which comes from many sources is also part the problem.

Just my thoughts Happy
snow conditions
NickyJ wrote:
@DB, I am sure I saw one which did show that people with the same energy input and expenditure did have differences in weight gain. If I remember right it was to do with gut bacteria? It is something I am intending to read into further as I find the whole subject fascinating.

Another book I am part way through reading is Michael Moseley’s 8 week blood sugar diet (or something like that in the title). He is (at lest in part) blaming the last several decades advice of low fat eating as the root cause of a lot of continued weight gain and obesity trend.

Yes I started another thread some time back that suggested people react differently to certain foods i.e. people were sugar spiked from different foods. I suspect unfortunately these are exactly the foods we like.
e.g. someone who gets a much higher sugar spike from ice cream probably really likes ice cream because it makes them feel good. The danger is that someone will come back now and say "ha! gottcha, I knew I was right and that I couldn't get slim" and their fight is lost - even if this isn't apllicable to them. One will use it as an excuse the other will use it to better achieve their goal. Having said that fat is stored energy, generally caused by the blood sugar spiking and the body's natural reaction to bring down sugar levels is to store it as fat. In that sense from a particular food someone may store initially more fat but if the cals intake are kept the same for all participants then the diferences should be ironed out.

Yes low fat products are IMHO a marketing scam too (I said that earlier in the thread).
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy