Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Exercise. Fitness and a bit less of the fatness

Poster: A snowHead
Having failed miserably (on a very hot afternoon) to complete a not too strenuous walk, partly but not entirely because of a sore toe from an argument with a step, I have reached the conclusion that I am fat, unfit and in need of weight loss and exercise. I am determined I will not reach 12st. I'm only 5ft 1 FFS.

Me and exercise are most definitely awkward bedfellows. For instance,

I like swimming, but hate the changing part. I could probably cope with my own private pool, but that's not really an option. I plan to swim every day on my holidays, but have forgotten to pack my swimming gear, although I will rectify that tomorrow, if I can find one to fit.

I like cycling, but always see it as a social activity. Hubby speeds off at a fair rate of knots and I spend much of the ride on my own. There's a Breeze group locally but rides set off on at 5;30pm in summer, on a day I'm at work until 6. The Alps is not really the place for some gentle cycling to get me back in the swing either, and we don't have many safe cycling routes on my doorstep. There are some locally, but many would need me to put bike on/in the car, as cycling through the city centre to get there would scare me witless.

Heading for the gym after work is not an option. Mind-numbing treadmills and rowing machines do not appeal. I have dogs to walk, but not the time to walk the distance each night (esp when it is dark). I can join for the classes, but many are at awkward times for my work and dog walking schedule. I walk the dogs after work on 4 nights out of 5.

I do a weekly Pilates class, which is not enough, but too expensive to increase to more or do a private session, although the instructor is very very good.

Running is NOT an option.

I like tennis, but am crap at it, and haven't played a proper game for 30 years.

So you see, already you can see that everything I try, I hate, and start coming up with excuses not to do it. If I could ski every week, 52 weeks a year, I'd probably be very happy.

I can probably do the diet bit for a while. Possibly. So I've got to stop using excuses, and get on with it. What do I try first?
I'm going to get the swimming costume and do some swimming every day for the next 2.5 weeks, and possibly hire an e-bike.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Wed 9-05-18 14:52; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Have half portions of potatoes/pasta/rice. One choice from the box not 2.

You'll be pleasantly surprised at the outcome.

And no, it's not easy.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
As you know @Hells Bells, dieting is very boring & saps your energy. In my experience, reducing portions works better, and speeding up simple exercise, like walking just a bit faster & running up stairs rather than walking. If it's going to be a long term thing, subtle differences work better. I'm sure we've all crash dieted in the past & lost loads, only to put it all back on plus some, when normal living restarts. Social cycling sounds good - you don't need to be competative, just enjoy it & it's a different activity to normal,so it's bound to be good for you. Best of luck Smile
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Hells Bells, oh dear, I know the feeling. I've even let my gym membership lapse for the first time in 30+ years. And, because I was starting to lose too much weight, I lapsed from 5:2 (which worked brilliantly because - I am certain - I cut nothing out of my diet, food or drink, for the 5 days, just had whatever I wanted. And I didn't even stick slavishly to the supposed calorie limit on the 2.) I agree with you that swimming is a faff and although I felt fitter when I swam, I never lost weight doing it. I think your idea of getting an ebike is the best one. Plus going on 5:2 and when you reach your desired weight, go onto 6:1 for ever after. Actually, I think Ray Zorro has even stayed on 5:2, without slipping down the plughole; I just began to look haggard.

I'm too scared to cycle in London but will happily 'partner' you on 5:2, if you want to try it. I need a kick start and doing it alongside someone else is a good way.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Hells Bells, @genepi, @Hurtle, I too need a kick-start on 5:2 - and living with someone whose blood sugars fall off a cliff if he doesn't eat every hour or two doesn't help. I find living on a boat, with its constant movement including at night, does wonders but it's not an all-year-round thing, and tearing my ankle ligaments in early June hasn't helped at all - although I can jump around much better now, I still can't walk as fast as I used to. I am thoroughly ashamed of the photos of me over the last few weeks. I need to get back on the cross-trainer before the winter - just ten minutes every other day did wonders - but I'm like you, @Hells Bells, re cycling and gyms, and running has never never been my thing. Biggest problem is I get bored with most exercise in just a couple of minutes. I'd far rather sit and read a book
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@eng_ch,
Quote:

I'd far rather sit and read a book

Oh yes, me too!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Hells Bells, I'm not a big fan of exercise for its own sake and I'm not really into sports. However, I do like walking and would agree with genepi's, suggestion of walking more briskly and running upstairs. Whenever I remember, I go up and down the stairs two or three times before I make the final ascent to get/do whatever I need to! I also try to do this while waiting for the kettle to boil or for something to heat up in the microwave.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I have found that I don't loose weight through exercise, however I can MAINTAIN weight through exercise. I have been successful in loosing weight through following Atkins but ultimately found I unsustainable then as soon as I did less exercise for a period (normally due to injury) the weight piled back on. I started 5:2 after seeing the programme thanks to Ray Zorrows thread, and have kept that up ever since. That has got my weight down to what I was when I was 19 and to stay there! I do find that very maintainable.

On the exercise front I am now stuck to gym sessions to maintain a level of muscle strength / fitness, as I have an unstable knee (doctors have done the best they can without doing a complete knee replacement) I have to keep my muscles strong to make up from the instability of my damaged ACL reconstruction.

One thing you may find helpful in keeping you motivated is something like a Fitbit? Which logs your heart rate, logs your steps. The app shows you how much time spent in different heart rate zones while excersising. I do find it helps keep me a bit more motivated.

Another thought - how about work out videos at home there are loads you can follow on You Tube, for those you don't need to go anywhere for.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
NickyJ wrote:
One thing you may find helpful in keeping you motivated is something like a Fitbit? Which logs your heart rate, logs your steps. The app shows you how much time spent in different heart rate zones while excersising.

The trouble is, I simply can't bring myself to care about those things. I have and have had enough poo-poo going on in life that any additional activity has to be fun, not a duty/chore
Having said that, I'm off for a swim in a little bit to clear my head from today's shite (see the bar); we acquired the use (and shared costs) of next door's pool when I bought this place, and it's been far too long since I made time to take advantage of it
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Second the Fitbit or other step counters. I try to do 10000 steps a day, which is easy on running days but does require a lot of walking on other days.

Booze biggest calorie challenge I face!

It's important that you enjoy whatever exercise you choose. If there is a club I think that also helps as gives you motivation on days when you'd skip it

Mrs B goes to gym dodgers- which is various workouts in school hall aimed at those who don't like gyms. She also swears by Slimming World as you're eating normally just low fat
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
eng_ch wrote:
NickyJ wrote:
One thing you may find helpful in keeping you motivated is something like a Fitbit? Which logs your heart rate, logs your steps. The app shows you how much time spent in different heart rate zones while excersising.

The trouble is, I simply can't bring myself to care about those things. I have and have had enough poo-poo going on in life that any additional activity has to be fun, not a duty/chore
Having said that, I'm off for a swim in a little bit to clear my head from today's shite (see the bar); we acquired the use (and shared costs) of next door's pool when I bought this place, and it's been far too long since I made time to take advantage of it

There was a time I could do that and my exercise of choice was playing hockey. Sadly wrecking my knee means I can't return to that, however hopefully HellsBells is able to find and do sports she enjoys.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@eng_ch, I don't really care either. A fitbit really would drive me nuts.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
TimDog wrote:

And no, it's not easy.

I eat very little additional carbs already. My portion size would be difficult to make any smaller. The occasional piece of bread, and I really mean occasional. I was a rebel and had 2 slices of baguette with my cheese for lunch, but I am on holiday. Other than trying to up the exercise while I am here, I probably won't make any diet changes while I'm away, but I do have some time to think about it.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hells Bells wrote:
@eng_ch, I don't really care either. A fitbit really would drive me nuts.
+1
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
It's not just a simple question of getting fit but for overall health as well.

I note you don't like the idea of a Fitbit, but here are my 2 cents.

First off buy a simple heart rate monitor watch.

I'd surmise maybe your resting heart rate might be on the high side, so you can see yourself getting fitter if not in the mirror initially after a concerted period of daily exercise.

As you've spelt out your exercise options are limited, however as you acknowledge you want to get fit (healthy) and really you almost have to work to a schedule rather than dip in a toe in the water as it were.

Social cycling will not cut it, going to the gym and playing around from machine to machine will not do it either, swimming is good (but again you do see very large swimmers), but has to be sustained.

You know about metabolic rates etc and I'd guess you know the difference between aerobic and anaerobic so if you really want to do this, best to have a plan of exercise together with a nutritional plan.

During the ski season I put on weight even though I'm doing more than just piste skiing, so to get ready for the cycling season I have to be pretty disciplined, and that's the nasty word.

My biggest weakness is grazing so I find that if I have two to three eggs for breakfast that can see me through the whole day, I cut out milk in my tea and nigh on all dairy.

For dinner I eat sensibly avoiding obvious foods high in calories.

And then the tough one is the booze. I limit myself to two glasses of red wine and then catch up one night a week, sometimes two if I'm honest (Fri and Sat), and binge.

If you do the above you will notice kgs coming off.

Then if you combine the above with exercise the weight obviously comes off faster.

By exercising with a HRM you will see how much better you are from week to week, as the healthier you get so your average HR will go down say for a two mile loop.

You frequently walk the dogs so I'd suggest (as someone has already mentioned) speed hiking, and even better if you have some local hills to march up.

Use some poles as well to get your core position right and they will also help your knees.

Aim to have two circuits a long and a short one so you can mix it up.

Then keep a record of your times and heart rate.

Aim to hike so you're just about getting out of breath, easing off if you start to breath too heavily, taking note of what your HR is.

You will find rapid improvements in time and HR as you get more used to doing this, and then as your lungs and body get fitter so you can start to push it more on the shorter circuit.

But and this is the big but, you have to be committed to really want to do this, and I think by such a public post you're ready.

Best of luck.
snow conditions
Hurtle wrote:
@eng_ch,
Quote:

I'd far rather sit and read a book

Oh yes, me too!

+2.

I was a rather sickly young child, probably as a result of the heavy smokers I lived with as a baby, combined with measles and whooping cough, so I spent a lot of time reading books. I was also rather crap at the standard school sports, so retired to the library with a sick note at every opportunity. I did love my bike though . How I actually managed to learn to ski is still a complete mystery.
snow conditions
Running is better for losing weight than cycling. You have to put in serious miles and effort with cycling to get the same benefit that you can from running and the people I know that lose a lot of weight usually do so by taking up running.

I hate running, I don't put in a lot of effort with cycling and whenever I exercise properly I usually eat a lot. But as others say, you need to be committed and I'm not, which is why I'm fat and unfit.
ski holidays
@Weathercam, thank you.
ski holidays
@Weathercam,
Quote:

I cut out milk in my tea and nigh on all dairy.

Do you get enough to keep your bones healthy? (Though I believe that's more of an issue with women.) I drink semi-skimmed in my tea, only eat cheese on high days and holidays and don't even have a packet of butter on the go when I'm alone at home. That seems to be OK - as empirically observed, given how hard I've sometimes hit the deck on skis, I don't think I'm osteoporotic!

Sadly, I'd be simply unable to adhere to a regime as strict and as dependent on close observation as yours. Agree totally about the grazing, though, that's a killer.
latest report
@SnoodlesMcFlude,
Quote:

I hate running...and whenever I exercise properly I usually eat a lot. But as others say, you need to be committed and I'm not, which is why I'm fat and unfit.
Ditto
latest report
@Hells Bells,
Quote:

How I actually managed to learn to ski is still a complete mystery.

God, me too!
Laughing
snow report
The primary reason I bought the Fitbit (the Charge 2) was to give me a heart rate monitor that didn't conflict with my bra. It may just be me but I used to really struggle to get the chest strap to pick up my heart rate and was fed up with putting spit between it and my skin and moving it around to get it to work. I have found the other aspects suprisingly motivational (and turned off all the alerts to tell me to move more as them going off while I am stuck in the 3hr meeting from hell is not helpful, yes I would MUCH rather be walking) however just being able to see how many calories I have burned, how far I have walked, how much time I have spend in the cadio zone is useful.
snow conditions
@Hurtle, missing out dairy produce without replacing calcium is not a good idea.
ski holidays
Quote:

I don't really care either.

That's the basic problem....... wink Given your lifestyle, just continuing with your dog walking but a bit faster, and building up to both faster and longer, seems to be the most painless answer. Cutting down the high-calory booze is probably also pretty important, though. And cut out sugar entirely, needless to say.

You seem to eat remarkably little complex carbohydrate, @Hells Bells. It's good for helping you to feel full - could you swap in some more (high fibre preferably) instead of something else of equivalent calorific value?
ski holidays
@pam w, cutting out booze has never made me lose weight. Guess I don't take my drinking seriously enough. wink

On the subject of complex carbs, Wags has just lost a ton of weight by eating porridge in the morning and eating/drinking what he likes in the evening, with nothing in between. Certainly works for him.
snow report
@Hurtle, I do eat it in the winter. It's replaced with egg and toast in the summer. Sugar? @pam w, what's that? Never had a high sugar diet, hidden or otherwise.
snow report
Hells Bells wrote:
TimDog wrote:

And no, it's not easy.

I eat very little additional carbs already. My portion size would be difficult to make any smaller.

You don't have to cut much or do a massive amount of exercise to make a difference. If you try to make huge changes you might do it for a while but will revert back to old ways eventually. If you make small changes it it easier for it to become normal. Knock 100 calories a day off what you eat and drink. That would be a large glass of wine or a G&T.....or alternatively some food..a very small piece of cheese or a spoonful of mayo wink Two brisk 15 minute walks with the dogs will burn 100 calories a day. If you already walk the dogs twice a day just walk faster. Doesn't sound like a major lifestyle change does it? If you make that change now and stick with it you will be 1lb lighter every 17 days than you would be if you didn't make any change.

Try Atkins diet for a couple of weeks if you want a quick burst of weight loss. I did it once when I was a desk jockey. No carbs other than green veg for two weeks. Then I got completely stoned off my head on a bowl of Rice Krispies. While it is effective I wouldn't recommend it as a long term plan. It can't be healthy to smell that bad.
snow conditions
I don't like porridge Sad It would probably be easier if I did.
I too don't eat huge amounts, and I've cut out sugar on cereal in the last 3 months. Someone else I know has lost a lot of weight (and reversed her type 2 diabetes) on a low carb diet; I've found some low carb recipes we both love. And low carb is a very good excuse to swap from beer to prosecco.
All the people I know who've lost huge amounts of weight have done so as a result of taking up running, but my ankles won't take that (especially with the recent injury) - the cross trainer I'm hoping will help. And I enjoyed today's swim. unfortunately, when I lose weight these days, it goes from my back and bum, but not tummy or thighs. Ergo the mirror tells me I'm still just as fat. Last time I lost lots of weight (and I really like pics from 6-7 years ago) was on the affair diet, which I don't recommend to anyone Sad
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
What might work (at least it worked ok-ish for me) is a combination of a few things, neither of which by itself is that awful:
- slowly reducing portions, especially sugar
- different type of exercises, in particular fast walking but also 10 minutes of abs / leg squats at home. Increase slowly. (I also have tennis and a bit of cycling).
- one day of a longer hike each week. Monetier is superb scenery for that but Durham also looks good as far as I can see! Maybe drive each time to a different destination so it's not boring?
- when you get hungry in the evening, do the abs / leg squats or even a walk outside instead of eating a snack

Good luck.

Now I'm going to try to follow my own advice!
ski holidays
@Hells Bells, I agree with the others about upping the intensity of the dog walking and probably extending the walk when you are able to. If evenings are difficult or you are pushed for time then you need to make the most of the time you get at weekends.

Something else you could look to do at home if pushed for time is to follow something like this... https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAxW1XT0iEJo0TYlRfn6rYQ
The bloke might be a bit annoying, but there a loads of 15-20 minute workouts. The exercises are usually easy to do and require no equipment.

Slightly longer/more intense walks and 15 mins a day would make a massive difference.

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Mon 28-08-17 16:40; edited 1 time in total
latest report
@Hells Bells, I completely sympathise with your post. I feel the same about swimming and gyms/treadmills and I can't run (arthritis).

I'm seriously hoping that having moved to Austria will motivate me to do more of the fitness things I actually enjoy, i.e. skiing and hiking. As to cycling, I bought an ebike to try and get more into it.

As others have said above, exercise has never made a jot of difference to my weight. The only way I have ever managed to lose weight is by starving myself or having cancer. Neither of which I found remotely enjoyable. However, exercise does make me feel generally fitter and helps me to sleep better.
latest report
5:2 to lose it and brisk (proper a bit breathless) walking to maintain it and for health benefits if you're 100% sure you don't want to run (go on, I promise you'll like it in the end)
ski holidays
In terms of sport, trampolining might be worth a try. Much more hard work than running, and much more fun too! Plus it would have a positive effect on your balance, coordination and leg strength for skiing. Might be worth looking for a class locally, or even buying one if you have room in the garden?

Diet will probably have much more effect on your weight though. That doesn't mean go on a diet, it means make your diet a healthy one:

- Half the amount of carbs (potato, pasta, rice) you eat, and make the difference up with vegetables - especially veg with lots of fibre (as you mention it above, things like spinach will also help you boost your calcium intake). If you already eat minimal carbs, half the meat and dairy you eat and top up with veg
- Cut out sugar
- Reduce the amount of milk you drink (ideally cheese too, though personally that's too much of a sacrifice).
- Drink clear spirits (gin) rather than carb-full beer

There are lots of theories on when is best to eat... Ranging from eat more earlier (big breakfast and lunch, small dinner) to essentially fasting every day (big late lunch, small dinner, no breakfast = potentially ~18 hours of 'fasting' per day). It's hard to work out what is good advice and what is cowdoo, but worth doing some research and trying a few to see what works for you.
ski holidays
Hells Bells wrote:
H I have reached the conclusion that I am fat, unfit and in need of weight loss and exercise.

You could buy one of those 6 grand Specialized e-Bikes like Gavin's just bought and go out with him up the Galibier when you are both in the alps.
latest report
I think clarky999 has cracked it. The Gin Diet snowHead
latest report
davidof wrote:
Hells Bells wrote:
H I have reached the conclusion that I am fat, unfit and in need of weight loss and exercise.

You could buy one of those 6 grand Specialized e-Bikes like Gavin's just bought and go out with him up the Galibier when you are both in the alps.
Certainly make your wallet lighter Very Happy
snow report
Cut ouy Carbs.

Only eat 1 meal a day & get used to it.

Drink espresso or good black coffee (no sugar) in the morning this will take hunger away

Eat Protein (eggs) they are cheap & make you fill full

Repeat

Forget exerise for now as it will only make you hungry .

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Mon 28-08-17 17:46; edited 1 time in total
snow report
musher wrote:
I think clarky999 has cracked it. The Gin Diet snowHead

I went on the gin diet, I lost 3-days
snow conditions
davidof wrote:
.....You could buy one of those 6 grand Specialized e-Bikes like Gavin's just bought......

Bloody hell that's nigh on libelous!

As most will think I've bought an electronic bike from that statement Toofy Grin

It's actually an S-Works Roubaix eTap
ski holidays
My tuppence worth is that if you want to lose weight and keep it off, then anything that you do, be it diet or exercise has to be something that you can maintain over the long term. ie become a lifestyle change.

I don't think that doing a diet for a few weeks will have any long term benefits Sad as soon as you come off it, the natural tendency is that you will put the weight back on again - and more so.

I know that if I don't consciously control my calorie intake, my weight will increase - so I have been doing 5:2 for five years now. Shocked
It suits me, but I know it is not for everyone. Well done to NickyJ for also sticking at it Very Happy
My understanding is that intermittent fasting type diets (like 5:2) are particularly good for the grazers - those who are often snacking (which is me), but not necessarily so effective for those that are overweight for other reasons.

I enjoy running, and go out about 3-4 times a week and also do circuits and play squash, but I'm not convinced how effective exercise would be on its own in weight loss? There is always a temptation to reward yourself after you feel that you've done a hard session.
There would be other health benefits from being fitter that make it worth doing though.

Might it be possible to generally increase your daily activity rather than do a specific exercise (or alongside your swimming) - stand rather than sit at work or home, park further away so that you have to walk to work. Do part of the dog-walk at a brisker pace. Cycle any short distances rather than drive. Use the stairs and not the lift.

Are you the type of person that will respond to a challenge or try to reach a target if someone set you one? That can be motivational for some.

I have been asked if I want to do the 3 peak challenge next year - which I fancy, but I recognise that I can't be carrying any surplus weight for that and will need to be in top fitness condition, so that is something that will motivate me further. Are there any challenges that would work for you?
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy