Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Help with a new resort for next year

Poster: A snowHead
So for the last 4 years we have been going to Corvara and staying at the hotel Col Alto. We absolutely love the hotel, the food and the beauty of the Dollies . However , it is all starting to feel a bit too familiar .
Can u recommend another area , which would have a similar feel to what we have in the Alta badia.
We would be travelling with 2 other families, who are advanced skiers .
We would want an extensive area to suite all abilities , but most importantly retain the charm and beauty of the Dollies as well as the quality of food.
As we are looking in the half term , so nothing too busy. Not the 3 Valleys or Port Du Soleil

What do u suggest?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Monte Rosa
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

retain the charm and beauty of the Dollies

There is nowhere else with the beauty of the Dolomites. Maybe go back to the Dolomites but stay somewhere different? Anywhere in France is likely to be busy at half term as French holidays always coincide with half term.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
My thoughts exactly. Maybe stay in Val di Fassa, Canazei probably best?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The only area that I can think of that would beat it for sheer majestic mountain scenery is the Jungfrau region. I never get tired of the views when skiing there. Maybe Zermatt also. Plenty of skiing and good food in both of those but not as good value for money as Italy at a guess. Only been in Alta Badia for summer hiking holiday and it's pretty special so that's a difficult choice you've got there.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Madonna di Campiglio? Good range of trails incl. snowmaking, interesting town to wander about, Italian food etc. Many hotels will put on a minibus to take you to/from slopes if the walk is a bit inconvenient. Similar but different to you usual haunt...
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Zermatt.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Ortesei the other end of vg ski sesiner alm and other bits of vg you don’t normally get to it Val di fassa
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Spyglass, if you have a decent budget you could look at Lech (or even better, Oberlech).
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
boabski wrote:
@Spyglass, if you have a decent budget you could look at Lech (or even better, Oberlech).

Looked at MDC - looks nice but concerned area too small and I am concerned the one family I am with will get bored quickly there and the transfer looks very long ?

Trying to find something in Lech but coming up very expensive .
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Try stuben as you'll get something a bit cheaper. Hotel Hubertushof is excellent. Direct access to piste too Very Happy
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Try stuben as you'll get something a bit cheaper. Hotel Hubertushof is excellent. Direct access to piste too Very Happy
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Oops sorry
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The transfer to MDC will not take much longer than the Dolomiti Superski resorts. MDC has a similar visitor profile to Cortina if that helps? The skiing is varied and big enough for a week but it's not the Arlberg or similar big mountain resort either. For adventurous skiers with their own transport the Superskirama pass gives access to Tonale plus some other 1-day ski resorts.
If your aim is a ski destination similar to Corvara but different then MDC is a pretty good option. If you are looking for resorts with the big mountain challenge along with the alpine atmosphere then I agree with other posters, you will not go far wrong with Zermatt, Saas Fee, Arlberg etc however these destinations can seriously challenge the typical skier's budget too!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
hudds7 wrote:
The transfer to MDC will not take much longer than the Dolomiti Superski resorts. MDC has a similar visitor profile to Cortina if that helps? The skiing is varied and big enough for a week but it's not the Arlberg or similar big mountain resort either. For adventurous skiers with their own transport the Superskirama pass gives access to Tonale plus some other 1-day ski resorts.
If your aim is a ski destination similar to Corvara but different then MDC is a pretty good option. If you are looking for resorts with the big mountain challenge along with the alpine atmosphere then I agree with other posters, you will not go far wrong with Zermatt, Saas Fee, Arlberg etc however these destinations can seriously challenge the typical skier's budget too!

Thanks - this is very helpful and puts things into perspective .
For my family MDC sounds perfect . If we are to satisfy the other family in our group we will have to look bigger , more extensive area.
snow report
Spyglass wrote:
hudds7 wrote:

For my family MDC sounds perfect . If we are to satisfy the other family in our group we will have to look bigger , more extensive area.

What makes you think MdC wouldn't be interesting enough for your group? My recollection is that it's got a wide range of very varied skiing. Have you looked at the piste map? If happily spend a week there again. There's more than enough skiing for first to last lift skiers.

What do you mean by "more extensive"? How are you measuring this? Does the whole area have to be lift linked?
snow conditions
sugarmoma666 wrote:
Spyglass wrote:
hudds7 wrote:

What makes you think MdC wouldn't be interesting enough for your group? My recollection is that it's got a wide range of very varied skiing. Have you looked at the piste map? If happily spend a week there again. There's more than enough skiing for first to last lift skiers.

What do you mean by "more extensive"? How are you measuring this? Does the whole area have to be lift linked?

Last year when the snow was exceptional , this family spent the bulk of the time in the Sella Ronda playing offpiste . Including a day doing Val Lusties and Val mezdi etc.playing in the trees below BoE lift .
This year as the offpiste was poor , I think they came to the realisation that the general pitch in the Dolomites is not very aggressive ( yes I know Arabba has some harder skiing) and for that reason have been put off going back .
They do appreciate that the beauty of the area and the food , as well as the hotel we were at was brilliant , but ultimately they are always looking for something more challenging.

It is not what I look for in a ski holiday with my family , but if we are to go away with them , there needs to be consensus.
latest report
Champoluc
latest report
Spyglass wrote:
sugarmoma666 wrote:

Last year when the snow was exceptional , this family spent the bulk of the time in the Sella Ronda playing offpiste . Including a day doing Val Lusties and Val mezdi etc.playing in the trees below BoE lift .
This year as the offpiste was poor , I think they came to the realisation that the general pitch in the Dolomites is not very aggressive ( yes I know Arabba has some harder skiing) and for that reason have been put off going back .
They do appreciate that the beauty of the area and the food , as well as the hotel we were at was brilliant , but ultimately they are always looking for something more challenging.

It is not what I look for in a ski holiday with my family , but if we are to go away with them , there needs to be consensus.

OK, so the requirement isn't for more extensive, but for challenging. There's lots of "extensive" resorts that aren't very challenging but on the flip side, there are some "medium-sized" resorts that have a good variety of challenging skiing. For e.g., the Skiwelt is very extensive but not very challenging, whereas MdC is less extensive in terms of kms of piste, but has a good variety of more challenging skiing.

How about Serre Chevalier? Or maybe Kitzbuhel area? Does the area have to be lift linked? Les Arcs might also fit the bill.
snow conditions
Ski Amade: Schladming, Gastein, Flachau/Wagrain, Hochkoning etc. 760KM of skiing and a different area every day. Only 60 min transfer from Salzburg too.
snow report
Cervinia/Valtournenche? Stunning views of the Matterhorn, large skiing area if you buy an international pass to include Zermatt, and good/cheap food on the Italian side.

Cervinia is fantastic for intermediates (lots of cruisy reds), and some more challenging skiing for the advanced skiers around, especially over in Switzerland.

Easy and quick transfer from Turin.
latest report
We had 3 years in Corvara and loved it...similar story in that it was getting familar. So this year through snowheads recommendations we visited the SkiWelt, absolutely loved it, has a great ski area, along with throwing in Kitzbuhel (which we didn't do), this makes the area quite extensive. You have a choice of 7 villages to stay in which span the area, so its down to your own personnel decision on where to stay..
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy