Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Old e-bay boards any good ?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
While the Mrs was getting fitted with some new ski boots at a ski shop in Chester, I was chatting to the shop assistant about boarding, and saying that I was thinking about getting a cheap old board off e-bay in case we get some snow - good for a bit of rock/slush/heather/snow boarding. He said it would be a waste of money as the baord will have lost its spring and be very unresponsive.
OK I expect an old board to not be as good as a new one, but surely it wouldn't be too bad for the occasional UK snowy afternoon.
Honesty or sales pitch ? What do U reckon ?

Ta
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Sarge wrote:
While the Mrs was getting fitted with some new ski boots at a ski shop in Chester, I was chatting to the shop assistant about boarding, and saying that I was thinking about getting a cheap old board off e-bay in case we get some snow - good for a bit of rock/slush/heather/snow boarding. He said it would be a waste of money as the baord will have lost its spring and be very unresponsive.
OK I expect an old board to not be as good as a new one, but surely it wouldn't be too bad for the occasional UK snowy afternoon.
Honesty or sales pitch ? What do U reckon ?

Ta

I know at least 5 people who have bought boards from ebay at one time or another (including myself). Everybody has found the boards more than adequate to have fun with, so in my opinion the shop assistant is talking mince.

I'm sure nobody here throws away boards after a few weeks use (unless burning money is another of their hobbies). So what's wrong with buying secondhand with that sort of usage?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Definitely a sales pitch.
The only thing is that you don't get the chance to view in person before buying - so you are relying on the sellers word - and yes that is risky - but then you could be getting them at a bargain price.
My OH has bought 2 boards on ebay - and both are in excellent condition with plenty of spring and we're looking forward to trying them out in a fortnight...
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
The rental board I had last week was scratched and had the odd chunk of base missing and didn't niticeably effect boarding, limited though it is. So e-bay will do nicely.

Thanks
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
these seem to have been getting some good reviews for cheap boards over at the kite skiing forums!

http://www.heli-boards.com

regards,

Greg
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Sarge, definately buy on ebay. Friends have done it and i certainly will in the future. People seem to be selling boards for ridiculous prices (located in the UK!) after they have been on 1 holiday or something (the same for boots/bindings jackets etc). A few scratches on the top sheet is nothing, even scratches on the bottom may be nothing as they can be fixed very easily and i've seen some big chunks taken out of the bottom of boards without any "noticable" affect to the riding. The next few months and towards the end of the season are obviously the best times to buy so start looking and post up anything you want someone to have a look at.

Main thing would be to check that the edges are in good nick. If the photos are blurry or there aren't many then ask for more from the seller. Also a fresh wax can hid all sorts of dings on the bottom of the base wink but you can't disguise a ding on the edges!!

gregh, they used to (not sure if they still do) sell boards on ebay for about £60 a pop. From what i'd heard they were cheap for a reason but still a bargin at that price, good for possibly a beginner and using on the dry slopes but not much more.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I bought one a few years ago described as "mint condition"

Turns up with an obvious base repair and several noticeable dings. Seller refunded me the cost of a full service as he didnt really have a leg to stand on.

Still got it for a good price though.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
how can a board lose its 'spring'.... unless you break it.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
CANV CANVINGTON, repeated deep flexing of a board stretches the bonds between the layers and components. these fail over time and the board loses its 'pop' and camber. Over time it will become unrideable. Park play is where the real damage occurs. A board that's had 3 or 4 weeks on piste will be fine. I learnt to 'butter' on a cheap soft board ... but only from my toe side .... and after a full week of dicking around the nose of that board was a complete trashed noodle, but I had really abused it ... and still can't butter from heel side or switch rolling eyes
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy