Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Vredestein winter tyres in UK?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
A quicky, please. Want to get some spare wheels for the 04 Skoda Fabia (14") for driving around Northern England and Scotland in the miserable wet and, hopefully, more exciting snow this coming winter. Not planning on leaving these shores in it.
Currently got All Seasons on, but need replacing so thinking of going back to 1 set winter, 1 set summer.
Got the chance of a set of 2/hand steel wheels already fitted with Vredestein "Snowtracs" (don't know more than that at present). Good price, seem to have about 4mm tread left, which isn't great but it'd get me through a year at reasonably low mileage, maybe? I'd then change them fro brand new tyres pre next winter.
So, worth buying? Or do I get just rims and expend a lot more money now on better tyres?
Cheers.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Grizzler, Snowtracs are excellent tyres (I've had several sets, crossing the Peak District every day for work in fairly serious conditions a few years back)....but....at 4mm tread depth, they're ready to be changed. Winter tyres lose effectiveness around then. It's really noticeable, not just a slight drop off. Also, how old are they? The compound gets harder and less effective with age.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Grizzler, I agree with @mgrolf - although NB my experience is with Conti WinterContacts - I've run down winter tyres of c4mm tread over the summer (in Scotland) but definitely notice they lose effectiveness in colder weather. Wouldn't rely on them beyond November(ish).
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Right, thanks. Looks like getting the credit card out for a full new set, then.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Grizzler, buy the cheap steels with the 4mm winters and use them from now to November. Then new winters for the winter.

I've regularly done this to get the last few months out of winter tyres. It is true that you need a decent tread depth for "proper" (snowy) winter
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy