Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Weekend Ski Trip

Poster: A snowHead
ValueSkiBreaks wrote:
Digger the dinosaur wrote:
ValueSkiBreaks wrote:
Thanks for the info, we're just gathering views really. £400 sounds good (flight extra?), you have done well, where exactly are you going? Be great to compare i.e. not just on price but standard of accommodation, transfer times, door step skiing or not etc ).

Action Outdoors are very easy to find on the web. I'm sure as a competitor you will have researched their offerings across various resorts. We're going to Chamonix, transfer time will be an hour. I've found the standard of their accommodation very good, that's why we keep going back. That, really, will be your benchmark to compete with - a Rolls Royce seems expensive when you put it next to a Mondeo, even though they are very different products, both get you from A to B. You will have to justify every pound over the £400 that UCPA charge for weekend trips where price and convenience is important.

March 28th (Easter 2018 Good Friday 30th March) for 4 days in Chamonix with Action Outdoors is £436 (unless you get a massive discount), it assumes you get yourself there i.e. neither flight (£75+?) nor transfer (airport to resort) +£65 are included! We are very much keen to do research and what you've provided here is invaluable ). Ours with flights is £360 (if flights book today) but £100 less for the lead (who finds 7 mates), but only 2 days skiing. We will certainly look into Friday > Monday trips, but as this will mean two nights in resort, it will put costs up i.e. we own a house near Verona for people to stay in. Luckily we're a small company with just 8 available places every weekend Jan 20th to Mar 24th, so for these 10 weeks we only need 80 nice easy-going people, happy to fit in with us, so we're not looking to please everyone. We're all different, and that's OK Very Happy. In 2019 we'll launch mid-week ski break too. Smile

In this example you're comparing 4 days skiing at around £600 with 2 days skiing at £360. I know which I'd take, and also which is better value.

Does your price include lift pass, ski hire, tuition and 3 meals a day?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
hawkesbaynz wrote:
ValueSkiBreaks - which resort. I like convenience for short breaks

Also prefer Sun - Thurs so I can join an ESF/Snoworks group for off-piste. Cheaper too

Do Action outdoors take skiers over forty now as I imagine that is a sizeable group of us Snowheads. Last time I called was given short thrift. I was 50

https://www.action-outdoors.co.uk/trips-for-all-ages/ucpa-age-restriction/46-65-years
Seems like some resorts accept up 55 year olds all the time now along with all the off-piste courses, plus certain weeks allow up 65. Though I do think they're fairly open to older guests if they still have empty rooms closer to the time.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Good to know. Top ski resorts too Smile
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
under a new name wrote:
Barcelona-Andorra is 2.5 hours, so you need really quite late evening flights out and arrive quite late on way in.

And having done it once on biz, admittedly in the summer, a total pain by public transport.

Quote:

unless you live close to Gatwick, Heathrow, London City and probably Manchester most other ski destination airports suffer from irregular flight times/days

True. And heaven forbid a cancellation...

I use the bus service quite often. It works quite well and drop you in front of (or very close to) your accommodation. You should, however use AndBus, not Directbus. Bus service has wi-fi onboard and you can stick two pieces of luggage in hold at no extra charge.

But the point is well noted that if you do not have a hub that flies to BCN multiple times a day, you are going to be stuck for timings. Better to spend a bit more time in Andorra than a weekend - it will work out more cost-effective too. Also remember that many people drive up from Spain or France just for the weekend so it is more busy than in the week.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@ysb33r, but if the point of the thread is weekend trips, noting that longerbtrips may be more cost effective is somewhat weird.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
ValueSkiBreaks wrote:
Hi everyone,

How many days skiing would you normally accept/expect on a short weekender?

Many thanks,

Stuart

The OP asks about "how many days..."

Answer - (for me) - 2.5 or 3 days skiing.

I'm just wondering if this thread is just a ploy to get "ValueSkiBreaks" a heads-up.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@skimastaaah, well you know... it's really a ploy to increase public knowledge of the mega-ski area of Brentonico.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
hawkesbaynz wrote:
ValueSkiBreaks - which resort. I like convenience for short breaks

Also prefer Sun - Thurs so I can join an ESF/Snoworks group for off-piste. Cheaper too

Do Action outdoors take skiers over forty now as I imagine that is a sizeable group of us Snowheads. Last time I called was given short thrift. I was 50

No age limit with us ), prefer quieter people not wanting a 'booze cruise'. We would encourage you to buy group travel insurance, through Travel Supermarket or whoever you feel is good for you, usually £35 ish for a group of 8, or obviously you might have your own. The main resort is this one: - http://www.brentonicoski.com/it/. We find it's so quiet on weekdays, which is awesome.

Many thanks.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
There is of course, nothing wrong with nice quiet local ski areas.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
under a new name wrote:
@skimastaaah, well you know... it's really a ploy to increase public knowledge of the mega-ski area of Brentonico.

I think it's a ploy to convince us all we are wrong in wanting more ski time Razz

@ValueSkiBreaks asked the question (how many days skiing?) - but seem to have no interest in changing their plans (2 days off work required, 2 days skiing on offer) to maximise skiing time, but are instead returning to say that their offer is actually better, we just don't realise it, i.e. less skiing with random addons away from ski resorts to take up the time.

There possibly are some people out there that might go for that, but I've not seen any interest so far in this thread. This forum can be a useful source of information, and it's frustrating to see people ask questions, then completely ignore what people are telling them.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I'm idly wondering if a 4-night break to Bulgaria might be worth doing - fly out on Friday morning, then back on Tuesday morning. Or maybe three nights and come back Monday.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@fixx, quite.

I think the last winter that we were in the UK we managed something like 56 ski days for 10 days leave... that's the sort of ratio I'd want... we are of course very lucky that we had family resources and friends in resorts...
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
[quote="Tom Doc"][quote="ValueSkiBreaks"]
Digger the dinosaur wrote:
ValueSkiBreaks wrote:

In this example you're comparing 4 days skiing at around £600 with 2 days skiing at £360. I know which I'd take, and also which is better value.

Does your price include lift pass, ski hire, tuition and 3 meals a day?

Great question, thank you ). Yes, lift passes, skis/sticks/boots all included, but it's B&B. Look, I'm pleased you guys have found something that works for you and it sounds like a good deal. Not sure you can compare everything exactly, and the 'n'th degree.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
fixx wrote:
under a new name wrote:

I think it's a ploy to convince us all we are wrong in wanting more ski time Razz

@ValueSkiBreaks asked the question (how many days skiing?) - but seem to have no interest in changing their plans (2 days off work required, 2 days skiing on offer) to maximise skiing time, but are instead returning to say that their offer is actually better, we just don't realise it, i.e. less skiing with random addons away from ski resorts to take up the time.

There possibly are some people out there that might go for that, but I've not seen any interest so far in this thread. This forum can be a useful source of information, and it's frustrating to see people ask questions, then completely ignore what people are telling them.

I agree with you, if we can't fill up the 80 places from our other wide and varied marketing plans then we'll be back here to adapt to the needs of the few people who've responded with needing 'total skiing time', as we've mentioned this will be more expensive. Thanks for your comments ).
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Flounceo?
snow report
Uh oh, the wolves are circling Very Happy

ValueSkiBreaks wrote:
Not sure you can compare everything exactly, and the 'n'th degree.

True, but you can do very basic comparisons to see what isn't included and for how much. On that basis your offer has a poor amount of ski time for the number of days. There will probably be people out there that are happy with that, but they're more likely to be stag dos and the like (which you don't want). But you asked people for their opinions and you're getting them, most of us want skiing time to be maximised for as little money as possible.

The idea of having a business so people pay you to go skiing isn't a new one, and I hope it works for you, but from my point of view what you offer isn't what I'd look for in a short skiing trip.
snow report
I look to maximise ski time. Not sure if they count as short ski breaks or long weekends, but I generally fly out Wed evening, ski Thu, Fri, Sat and most of Sun and fly back late Sun night. Now I'm flying out early Wed so we get half of Wed on the slopes, too.

Just my own personal opinion, but I don't think there's much point paying for flights just to get a couple of days on the slopes. It takes me a day and a half to remember how to ski! Very Happy
latest report
under a new name wrote:
@ysb33r, but if the point of the thread is weekend trips, noting that longerbtrips may be more cost effective is somewhat weird.

OK then, to rephrase it in plain English: for a weekend away from the UK, Andorra is not an optimal ski destination - there are better options elsewhere. NehNeh
latest report
@ysb33r, sorry, fair point, very true! snowHead
snow report
@under a new name, I got flights booked Sunday to Thursday over Christmas. That's the best "weekend" ski trip for me!
ski holidays
@skimastaaah, wink
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy