Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Glacier Retreat & Local climate - can we help?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
https://e-zeppelin.ro/en/mortalive-project-bringing-ice-stupas-from-the-himalayas-into-the-alps/

Just steering the thread back towards the original sentiment a little, I saw this today which is interesting. If the Swiss can take the ice stupa idea and tune it to suit Alpine glaciers, that could be something worth watching.

I welcome and recognise the input of those who take the big picture approach and point us towards a less wasteful existence, but the realist in me says that we have to (if we want to save/try to save glaciers) find some interim solutions that do not bank on large-scale changes in human behaviour. We need the latter too, but I fear it a slow process.

Anyone spot any other Alpine areas investigating the stupa concept?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
https://www.nasa.gov/feature/goddard/2016/carbon-dioxide-fertilization-greening-earth

Quote:
Every year, about half of the 10 billion tons of carbon emitted into the atmosphere from human activities remains temporarily stored, in about equal parts, in the oceans and plants.

50%.... Remarkable.

Makes you wonder why we give subsidy to chop down forests in North America and then ship the wood pellets to fire 'renewable' power stations....

https://www.pellet.org/wpac-news/drax-fires-up-biomass-power
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Just stating the obvious, but I’m pleased that all of this heavy snow must be bulking-up the glaciers. I wonder if anyone can tell me if having the snow all dump down in quick succession is better for compaction/consolidation than the same amount spread out across a number of weeks? Surely this weather must be optimal for glacier repair, other than perhaps the high winds blowing snow off the mountain?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
This once-a-decade snowfall is nowhere near enough to repair the battered Alpine glaciers.

It will need 30 or 40 years of snowfalls every year like this one to repair them back to even 1970s-levels.

The extra snow just means glacier skiing this year should be pretty good up until at least June or July. Beyond that date, the Winter snow will make little difference. It will continue to be scorching hot in the Alps over Summer 2018 and that is what does much of the melting damage every year. We hiked up to ~4000m in Chamonix just this August and water was pouring off the glaciers morning, noon and night.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy