Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Over 60 new skiier

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Take a defib.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Awdbugga,
Quote:

I'm 62 and have decided to go on the Myashbash in Livigno in January 2018 (I'll be 63 then). I'm not fit and haven't done any exercise for about four years.

I'm 65+ I'm not fit. I've only just re-started any exercise at all having done none for more than 20 years, Badminton once a week and a couple of cycle rides a week.
Quote:

I'm not overweight (I'm the same weight now as when I was in my mid 20's) , I don't have a beer belly, have never smoked and used to be very fit when I was younger; playing both football and rugby.

I am overweight, at least a couple of stones, I used to smoke, I was reasonably fit when younger playing hockey and cricket to a reasonable standard and windsurfing into my 50's.
Quote:

Am I being daft to even think about going on a Snowhead bash, even one like the MYashBash; which is aimed at beginners and intermediates?

Simple answer is no you're not being silly. In fact it will probably kickstart an addiction to skiing which will difficult keep to a single week a year. One of the reasons I retired at 61 was so that I could go skiing more than the one week a year.

IMHO Skiing is one of those "personal achievement" sports/pastimes which can be thrilling and satisfying at any level of skill and fitness. When you are beginning to learn just being able to stand on the skis can give you an adrenaline buzz, but you will also tire more easily. As you progress and your skill improves the simple stuff becomes less tiring but also less thrilling so in order to maintain the thrill you will find that you will continue to push your personal boundaries.

Certainly fitness helps, and the fitter you are the easier and more enjoyable it will be, but being unfit will not stop you enjoying it and may provide the spur to get fitter.
Quote:

As Clint Eastwood once said " A man should know his limitations"

Maybe but the thrill comes from pushing your personal boundaries and exceeding those limitations.

Above all have fun and make sure you have good insurance. Smile
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Timc, Thanks for the encouragement. I'm definitely going on MyashBash. Only slight problem at the moment is my sciatica has flared up in the past week or so. Some days ok, others painful. I'm hoping it will go of its own accord before January. If it doesn't, I'll take pain killers and crack on. Rule 5 applies. I will make sure I have good insurance.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Arctic Roll,

These knee supports look good, they have a metal hinge whch stops your knee going sideways

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bionix-Neoprene-Hinged-Support-Breathable/dp/B01JIYAO04/ref=cts_sp_1_vtp?pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_p=1212178027&pf_rd_r=MJQBRN3E3MHC5NK0V2D6&pd_rd_wg=mcZKg&pf_rd_s=desktop-detail-softlines&pf_rd_t=40701&pd_rd_i=B01K4NO0SK&pd_rd_w=H3njb&pf_rd_i=desktop-detail-softlines&pd_rd_r=MJQBRN3E3MHC5NK0V2D6&_encoding=UTF8&tag=amz07b-21
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@edwardsnde, looks interesting - and at that price, even it it only last one ski trip! worth a punt.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
The muscles you use as a complete beginner, compared to those required as an experienced skier are very different. The quads will get tired at the end of the day, but as a complete beginner you will also find that the muscles which you use when getting up from a fall will be the most tired and strained. So your upper body strength will be important.

Not drinking alcohol at altitude is probably very sensible if you are in the second half century, due to lack of oxygen and alcohol causing respiratory depression and acidosis. This will make it very painful in the morning due to recovery being slower.

If you have access to a pair of old skis, and boots, click them in and get down on the floor. Then try and stand up. Do that exercise 10-50 times a day. This will be what tires you out as a beginner.

Once you can ski, you will find that it is not a particularly taxing exercise unless you push it too hard. Most intermediate and beginner slopes would not be a concern for knees. Avoid moguls...
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

If you have access to a pair of old skis, and boots, click them in and get down on the floor. Then try and stand up. Do that exercise 10-50 times a day

Hmm. I can think of better ways to spend my day than doing that 50 times a day. Better - use your ski stick to undo the bindings.

As for alcohol, over-consumption is never too good an idea, even at sea level, but in all the times I've drunk alcohol at altitude (which is probably most of the times I've been at altitude) I've never suffered from acidosis or noticeable respiratory depression. wink
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
And if you pay attention and have decent balance you won't fall over much anyway. The time spent in skis and boots ruining your carpet would be far better spent standing on one leg with your eyes closed to improve your balance.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
possibly with a glass of something......
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Bigtipper, @pam w, I don't drink, so alcohol won't be a problem. I did all my drinking many years ago. It took me over 35 years to realise that me and alcohol don't mix. Even relatively small amounts make me ill. However that didn't stop me when I was younger; but then I finally saw sense.

I have no problem getting up when I fall over. I've fallen over about half a dozen times in the Chillfactore and can get straight back up and carry on skiing. (Apart from when I tore a muscle in my calf). I can get from the top of the Chillfactore to the bottom ok. It may not be pretty, but I can make it down in one piece. I should hopefully be a lot better by the MyashBash in January. I do have pretty good upper body strength for an oldun. I beat my 33 year old son at "planking" recently. He managed 2 minutes. I did 5 and then got bored. So is there is life in the old dog yet. Laughing Laughing It's just my knees that aren't as strong as they once were.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Awdbugga, sounds like you are not a complete beginner and you should be fine with regards to fitness levels.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@pam w, you do not tend to notice it. It just inhibits your bodies ability to recover, and oxygenate. I was watching a program recently about Everest Marathon runners, and apparantly if you are born at altitude and live there, you have much higher levels of hemoglobin (or red blood cell count). Therefore, nearly all of the first 5 in the Everest marathon were from Nepal, the rest felt knackered even after aclimitisation to altitude.

www.everestmarathon.com

It sounds like you ought to consider it, and drink 5 pints of lager before you start?
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thanks, @Bigtipper, you've persuaded me not to enter the Everest marathon. Shame, I was looking forward to it, too.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy