Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Advice for newbie boarders plus non boarders or skiers

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi, been looking at going away for 7 days in February as first time snowboarding away from dry slopes .
Myself and my son (11) are the boarders and wife and parents in 70s are wanting to just experience the snow / mountains etc .
We ll be driving from U.K. For the adventure and also to cut costs .
Looking for recommendations for locations and also best sites to book rooms/ apartment etc.
I'm leaning towards morzine/avoriaz from what I've been reading . Although the main priority is good conditions for the snowboarding it's also important that my parents and wife have somewhere to walk to and some nice scenery so they don't get too bored. Theyed like to try the tabogining if possible but I'm only seeing this in val theorems which I'm thinking would be suitable to drive too and for the old
Easy to drive too
Good for begginers
Things to do or see for non participants
Rooms to book
I know it's a lot but it's quite nerv racking just thinking about it all but the main thing is I have to get out in the snow .
Cheers for any advice in advance rolling eyes
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I would go somewhere which is a real village, rather than a purpose built resort. So Austria or Switzerland rather than France.

Anywhere with snow will work as a novice, so you don't need a huge purpose built area.
Val T for non-snowsports people sounds unlikely (it's only there for the snow, it's a moonscape), and the things it has you don't need as a novice.

Tobogganing is widely available - Zermatt certainly has it, through pretty woodland past excellent mountain restaurants.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
My advice to the non-skiers/boarders is to become skiers/boarders Very Happy

Agree that Austria is probably a better bet to give options for those that aren't skiing. Could an EJ flight to Salzburg and hiring a car work out cheaper than driving? I'm not used to booking for large numbers of people so it's always cheapest to fly.

VT isn't the best as will be a bit bleak and boring if you're not skiing. I think they have a toboggan thing at La Plagne too (although I have no idea how you get to it) and the area is great as a novice, but again it's not particularly nice if you're not skiing and the architecture isn't to everyone's tastes (which doesn't matter when you're out on the mountain).
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Long drive, but don't stop until you hit Italy ......
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I board and ski a lot in France and my favourite resorts are those with more of a French feel, like La Clusaz and Serre Chevalier, but don't be too quick to discount the convenience of a ski-in, ski-out resort like Avoriaz. Whilst obviously it isn't the pretty resort that others can be, it is ridiculously convenient, which is a real bonus if you have non-skiers and children with you.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I might get shouted down for the suggestion as it's not famous for beginners but I think Chamonix ticks your boxes especially as you've a car to get up and down the valley. And it's probably the easiest place to get to driving certainly in France.

I'll start with the non skiers. Lots of amazing views which they could spend the week doing alone. Rack and pinion train up to the montevours hotel, mer de glace, ice caves and a small wildlife display. Foot passenger tickets up to Brevent for the most amazing views of Mont Blanc and the Aguille du midi. A trip up the Aguille du midi (pricey but an amazing experience, other than getting in a plane they'll probably never reach such an altitude ever). Large town centre with everything a shopper might want. Bowling alley, Ice rink with Ice hockey fixtures, a luge ride, swimming pool, climbing wall.

Now your needs. To get you into real snow you can spend half a day at planards getting used to your first chair lift. Only has a single green, blue and red (and a short black option) but used to be less than £20 for a day ticket...I'm sure it's probably a bit more now but significantly less than a day pass in most places. Le Tour would suit your abilities to and you'd probably get at least 2 days before you start to get board there. Brevent would give you a good day especially if you met up with the family for ride up to the restaurant over looking Mont Blanc. Flegere is not so good if your timid beginners but is also a great place to move on to the longer more difficult runs. Grand Montets...well I'd leave it till another trip!!!

We took a 5 year old on his first trip to Chamonix and coped with everything we threw at him after only learning in a snowdome.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hey thanks guys , Austria and Switzerland do look the part but from quick research it's going to be a bit out of our price range . Manicpb I love that suggestion . As you say not known for begginers as a close friend said the same but after checking out a few vids and some reading I think it's possibly a go . Looks amazing , easy to get to , plenty to do and see as well .
Although we are beginners we're are definitely not wanting to shy away from things a bit more challenging . Also I've noticed there's a lot more choice of studios / apartments available at great rates on airbnb .
Definately a serious consideration . Looks like the type of place that would be memorable .
Again thanks, please keep other options coming though as I know the best places are going to come from advice from people who have been .
I'm so excited already 👍😀
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I think Morzine is a good choice. The village is great, has a good spa/sports centre and the non skiers can use the Plenney and Prodains cable cars for fab views.

On the slopes, you have plenty of blue runs, perfect for new boarders to learn and practise on.

Plus Morzine is easy to drive to.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@manicpb, Chamonix is pretty good but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone who is less than a good intermediate. The runs are pretty steep for beginners and 60€ a day for a pass isn't cheap when you can't really make full use of it is a bit expensive.

@bar shaker, I second that on Morzine. It is great and a lot cheaper than Chamonix. It has a lot more to choose from on the mountain for beginners.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
snoway. wrote:
@manicpb, Chamonix is pretty good but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone who is less than a good intermediate. The runs are pretty steep for beginners and 60€ a day for a pass isn't cheap when you can't really make full use of it is a bit expensive.

@bar shaker, I second that on Morzine. It is great and a lot cheaper than Chamonix. It has a lot more to choose from on the mountain for beginners.

I gotta add I don't think Morzine is a bad shout and is definitely better suited to the OP's abilities...but Chamonix is the better destination for non skiing visitors.

The unlimited pass is €60, a regular day pass (which is all that's needed) is €50...4 hour passes a little cheaper still if you plan to meet up with family early. The Planards day pass (admittedly only suitable for their first day) is €20...so still under £20, just!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy