Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Info required about La Rosiere

Poster: A snowHead
I will be going here at Easter and would really appreciate some advice regarding the following:

1. If the conditions are good, who do you recommend I get as a guide? (please don't recommend an Englsih one for the sake of him or her being English-only if they're good and not full of it).

2. I've been talking about buying a new pair of skis for three years now and want to demo a few pairs. Any recommendations? (25 years experience, maybe 110 plus snow weeks, BASI III 1988 but never used it, fall line and all that mullarkey)

3. Most enjoyable pistes and off piste. That does not necessarily mean gradient and macho factor nonsense

4. Skiing in La Thuile-apparently you can heli ski in Italy! Any ideas?

5. Off slope diversions (and I don't mean getting totalled every night and projectile vomiting-I understand Bourg St Maurice has some excellent examples of the Baroque-is this true?)

Thanks for your help!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
kevin mcclean, I'm sure the La Ros experts will be along soon!!! The heli-skiing picks up from La Rosiere I think. It's a while since were there, but the apres ski was quiet but enjoyable. A trip over to La Thuile for a nice lunch is a good idea.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
kevin mcclean, Try doing a search search for La Rosiere and you will get some excellent advice on the skiing, food etc. We are off there on 19th and one of our party intends heli skiing if conditions are good. I shall let you know.

Some of your more difficult questions will be answered by the REAL expert who will be along shortly.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Who is the REAL expert? Henry the janitor?
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
rob@traxvax I think
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I think david@traxvax helps with the cleaning, but wouldnt give him the lofty title of janitor.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Why not cancel and choose somewhere with a little more interesting skiing? Otherwise get straight up the lift, through the wind tunnel and into la Thuile.

Most of La Rosiere is the ridge under the fort, there's nothing here that will benefit from a guide as all the off-piste is between the runs and extremely visible. There's some off piste off the back, so a local guide is probably useful for this, I suspect that there's some really good skiing here. I don't know where it ends up.

There's a run down the valley, the piste finishes part way then the quality of the rest depends on snow conditions and how many others have skied it since it last snowed. I don't know how often the buses run back up (or even if they do). The piste was interesting when we skied it, there were thousands of little christmas trees growing all across the slope, most just small enough to have their heads chopped off when hit, the occasional tree tough enough to cause a ski to snag resulting in a dive onto the miniature forest.

No heli skiing at all when we were there, but that was start of season. Most enjoyable piste was Marmotte, it's a red with many variations of steepness and even gets near to trees at the bottom. An interesting lift back up as well, there's a net to catch you before you fall in the river if you manage to miss getting on the chair. Sam was always picked up and pushed into the chair to prevent him from being caught by the net. I don't know if there's off piste down below Marmottes, if there is this will also need a guide, again heaven knows where it ends up.

Off slope - nothing much in the village although we liked the Asterix cafe, it had some excellent regional specialities. It's not long to get rolling eyes down to Bourg.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Well it looks like we shall benefit from bucket loads when we get their on Sunday. We have an off piste fan in our group so I shall report back. Seasonaires we spoke to last year did say that the Off Piste in La Rosiere was superb, you just need to know where to go
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Frosty the Snowman I suggest he goes off the flat area which the piste bashers have flattened !
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
kevin mcclean wrote:
I understand Bourg St Maurice has some excellent examples of the Baroque-is this true?

Baroque trips here: http://www.lesarcs.com/Guided-visits.html
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Paul Mason, you sure it wasnt just Frosty the Snowman on his skis that had flattened it? Wink
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Frosty the Snowman, Anniversary shot almost to the day from last year of Ecudets

With the amount of snow we had last year even the piste skiing was like off piste, especially the blacks.

Have a good one
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Whats this? ..................Pick on Fatty day Very Happy snowHead
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Frosty the Snowman, and why not.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Frosty the Snowman definitely not how could Charlatanefc and myself be classed as thin ? Shocked
latest report
CP wrote:
Frosty the Snowman, Anniversary shot almost to the day from last year of Ecudets

Great photo of a fabulous piste Smile
snow report
Frosty the Snowman, heh heh heh, if it was it would be Mr Kettle calling Mr Pot Wink

Paul Mason, speak for yerself, tubby Very Happy
snow report
This was the off piste in La Rosiere just before Christmas. Although it might have been a piste: was difficult to tell the difference given the conditions!

http://saxons.fotopic.net/p24025711.html
latest report
CP, How much better is SP than you. I missed the link first time, great photo. Fontaine Froide was closed last Easter so am really looking forward to creaming it in the new snow.
snow conditions
Thanks everyone for your helpful comments; there;s certainly some possibilities here from what people are saying.
ski holidays
RobW, great photo, any chance we could post it in our gallery, full accreditation of course.
ski holidays
Frosty the Snowman, now you be careful out there, from what my son is telling me you could need a snorkel to ski Ecudets or Fontaine Froide in the next week, snowing now set to continue for 48hrs, predicted depth 60-80cms but could be more! Make sure you've got leashes on your skis it's a long walk up or down if you lose a ski on those runs.
latest report
David@traxvax, If they dont bash it, I wont be skiing it, unless Twinner sport do knee hire aswell as ski hire Very Happy
latest report
Frosty the Snowman, the pisteurs usually bash Fontaine Froide and leave Ecudets for a day or so, I've got find memories of skiing Ecudets in thigh deep powder, it doesn't happen that often but I think your timing will be perfect, I'm soooo jealous. I just might find an emergency in the chalet that requires my presence in La Rosiere.
snow report
David@traxvax, yes you can put a copy in your gallery. You might want to check out the others as well: http://saxons.fotopic.net/c799818.html
snow conditions
RobW,

Lovely Pics
ski holidays
RobW, Thank you so much, lovely photos!
ski holidays
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
CP, How much better is SP than you. I missed the link first time, great photo.

Skiing: He is quite a bit quicker than me and I have to reign him in at times - depends on the conditions, number of people etc. I am not going to go nuts with him around because at the end of the day I am responsible for him and need to be aware of what he is up to and also pick up the pieces when he gets too adventurous.

Apres: He is hopeless, I can drink him under the table any day snowHead

Have fun mate I hope you get the conditions that we can see in Robs great photos.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

Apres: He is hopeless, I can drink him under the table any day

Laughing Laughing
latest report
Frosty the Snowman, have you seen the La Rosiere webcam this morning? It's still dumping.
snow conditions
David@traxvax, Now thats a dafter question than the guide in the Vallee Blanche one. Looks like a foot to me. There is a hut roof to the right of the picture that the snow falls off regularly, in fact some has already fallen off. Looks like 30cm minimum. However it does look like a horrid morning, lifts shut, wet snow, falling snow, bad viz. I bet people get very wet. Montalbert looks very damp with dark slush footsteps visable on their camera.

Wet snow today but temps drop tonight Very Happy

Link to La Thuille closed but to be expected. Still snow seems to ease of a bit from Monday onwards. Feel sorry for those out there today but hey no pain no gain. Now for the big question. Do we rush around like idiots on Sunday to try and get an hour in Very Happy Very Happy snowHead
ski holidays
Frosty the Snowman, ah decisions, decsicions, whether tis nobler to sit in the chalet and relax or to take skis and face the uncertainty of falling over on your first day.
ski holidays
I suppose it must be "better to have skied and fallen, than to have never skied at all".

PS Bacon & cheddar all arranged
snow report
Chaps do you know if there is a discounted rate on the lift pass for a day at La Rosiere if we have 6 day Les Arcs passes?

TIA
ski holidays
DATA JUST IN FOR OVERNIGHT SNOWFALL
45 cm@2400m
38cm@1850

Yeeeeehaa
latest report
CP, Yes there is. Discount is 10 euros, IIRC. That brings the daily cost down to €22 I think, with a €3 refund on your electronic pass if you return it to a liftpass office (or you can use it to buy a hot chocolate in the little bar at the bottom of the Ecudets piste Smile ).
snow report
Frosty the Snowman, that could be interpreted as gloating...
latest report
Frosty the Snowman, You're taking cheddar cheese to France . . . Shocked
snow report
samharris, Absolutley not. Just passing on the iffo for anyone going out this weekend. Now let me think.........ah yes, that would include me Very Happy snowHead
ski holidays
Masque, I'm off up to Newcastle this afternoon. Have put some coal in the boot just in case.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy