Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Helmets now mandatory at Hemel

Poster: A snowHead
Fridge03 wrote:
Whether it's indoors or outside, hitting the deck hard or a button lift to the dome I think everyone should wear helmets. Just like those who ride horses, or cycle.
99.9% it's never called into action and odds are it won't even be, but it's that 0.1%...

And also, just like driving it's everyone else you need to worry about...You could be the best skier on the planet but all it takes in drunken brit abroad to smash into you, down you go, hit your head and goodnight.

Exactly. So wear a helmet in your car. Or walking. Or anything rolling eyes
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Hurtle, I don't buy that for a second. It was a trap...
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
martinm wrote:
Fridge03 wrote:
Whether it's indoors or outside, hitting the deck hard or a button lift to the dome I think everyone should wear helmets. Just like those who ride horses, or cycle.
99.9% it's never called into action and odds are it won't even be, but it's that 0.1%...

And also, just like driving it's everyone else you need to worry about...You could be the best skier on the planet but all it takes in drunken brit abroad to smash into you, down you go, hit your head and goodnight.

Exactly. So wear a helmet in your car. Or walking. Or anything rolling eyes

I do. I'm even wearing one right now whilst typing. Keyboard related accidents have risen by 64.9% in the last 5 years.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Fridge03,
Quote:
Not to open a helmets good or bad debate but trying to raise awareness.

I am perfectly positive that he meant this! (skimottaret, please don't let me down. wink )
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Hurtle,

Fake news....
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Hurtle wrote:
@Fridge03,
Quote:
Not to open a helmets good or bad debate but trying to raise awareness.

I am perfectly positive that he meant this! (skimottaret, please don't let me down. wink )

I'm fairly sure he would have known that his disclaimer would be a futile gesture...
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Tubaski, fair enough
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Only been to Hemel twice so it wont be an issue for me, although it will if it spreads to other snowdomes. Feel it is sad to enforce helmet wearing on recreational users (freestyle and racing aside) and I hope there is a valid reason for implementing and not just a H & S knee jerk decision.

I always try to pick a quiet hour or so whenever I go indoors and the irony for me when the biggest argument most are saying is "its other users who are the danger"...well I often find myself on a slope with about 5 other people (3 of which are on the lift)!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
The much more annoying
Quote:

H & S knee jerk decision
at Hemel is their new rule that ski boots can't be worn upstairs, because the floors are too slippery. First, they should have anticipated that when choosing the flooring and, secondly, socks are even more slippery than ski boots. It annoys the hell out of me, as it takes me an age to get in and out of my boots, and I don't normally even loosen them at lunchtime, let alone take them off.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Hurtle, that's insane, I sure wouldn't want to be taking my boots off, bound to end up getting your socks wet then cold feet for the rest of your slope time....

Same silly flooring choice at Castleford, rubber in front of the ski rental part but slippery flooring between that and the changing rooms and "polished" wood upstairs in the bar.

Does make you wonder who was in charge of the planning, and if they'd ever seen a pair of ski boots before rolling eyes
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Hurtle, was the decision made because the floor was slippery or because they got fed up of mopping up where people had dropped ice?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@SnoodlesMcFlude, it was described as a safety issue, but who knows?
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
My seatbelt has never saved me from injury in 35 years of driving but I still wouldn't argue against wearing it!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Hurtle, oh right, possibly someone fell then...or possibly they just used it as an excuse, I'm amazed how often people try to hide behind H&S or say that the HSE did something. Like you say, who knows?
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Wearing of a helmet may be just a demand from their insurers or be as a result of a potential threat of litigation?

Rental helmets...yuck.....lice can continue to live for many hours after the previous user has stopped using the helmet.... Shocked
snow report
Turns out I need to wear one on my mogul course at Manchester Sad
latest report
@Hurtle, +1.
snow conditions
I have now worn a helmet both in the domes and in the Alps for a few years so no difference for me. Just means as I have done on the last 2 trips in the last 2 weeks I have a free cuppa on the slope halfway through session then go upstairs once changed.
I am one who doesn't take my boots off all day so if on a day's course I don't want to get well socks will end up with flip flops or trainers rolling eyes
snow conditions
Hurtle wrote:
socks are even more slippery than ski boots

I don't imagine the idea is that people go to the restaurant in their smelly, sweaty ski socks.
ski holidays
@dogwatch, my ski socks are neither smelly nor sweaty, at least not after a couple of hours on Mount Hemel.
snow report
It makes you wonder how all the mountain hut owners can sleep at night! What with all those ski boots going up and down their stairs.
ski holidays
The no boots rule is very frustrating. We now have been taking our coffee breaks in the rental areas and enjoying the free on slope coffee instead of paying for a coffee in the cafe... Wink
ski holidays
@dode, DUH! You keep your skis on! The wax keeps them quiet and you can come downstairs quicker too. Tsk, noobs... rolling eyes
latest report
skimottaret wrote:
The no boots rule is very frustrating. We now have been taking our coffee breaks in the rental areas and enjoying the free on slope coffee instead of paying for a coffee in the cafe... Wink
Excellent plan!
snow report
dode wrote:
It makes you wonder how all the mountain hut owners can sleep at night! What with all those ski boots going up and down their stairs.

In a bed full of money?

Given that the British take H&S over and above that of other nations it's hardly surprising.
ski holidays
Pruman wrote:
or much in the way of ice or variable snow conditions to catch you out.

Clearly never been to Hemel on a busy evening then.
ski holidays
Fridge03 wrote:
I really don't see why there such an anti-helmet feeling.

It is not anti-helmet feeling, it is anti being treated like we are not capable of making an informed judgement.

Most of the instructors at MK don't wear helmets while teaching. They are not idiots, they are sensible people who have decided that the risk of not wearing one is small.
snow report
Quote:

Clearly never been to Hemel on a busy evening then.

I have (but once is enough). i agree the surface changes with wear and tear but if you are caught out by that in a fridge then there's no hope.

Quote:

It is not anti-helmet feeling, it is anti being treated like we are not capable of making an informed judgement.

Exactly. We're adults, responsible for our own heads. The end. I mean, people blindly following is how Hitler got going. And, shock horror, thousands of helmetless people ride around the busy streets of London on Boris bikes and that is way more risky and surprisingly few have died. Millions play rugby or hockey every week and no head protection there either yet significantly more risky than making a few lowish speed turns in a fridge.

I also don't think parents should feel compelled to wear a helmet just to 'set a good example to the kids'. Its illogical captain.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
skimottaret wrote:

It will be a real pain taking them off for morning break and lunch when with you and Rob for a day's course Sad
Iski and myself have a quick free coffee when we are there Laughing
snow report
Pruman wrote:
I mean, people blindly following is how Hitler got going.

Quite true. Although, as this photo following the 'Beer Hall Putsch'* demonstrates, it was not Hitler who wore a ski helmet but his collaborators Hermann Kriebel and Erich Ludendorff.
The 'Putsch' itself (the attempted coup attempt of the Nazi party) failed.

* Marienplatz, Munich, 8-9 November 1923

Although it is possible to blame Nazis for the boom in ski helmet sales since 1998, the deaths of celebrities Michael Kennedy* and Sonny Bono* within a week of each other are more generally identified as the catalyst of the initial boom in ski helmet sales in America which later spread to Europe.

* Kenndy died at 4.15pm, 31 Dec 1997, at Aspen, Colorado. Bono died at 4.30pm, 5 Jan 1998, at Heavenly, Nevada.
ski holidays
@Linds,
Quote:

It will be a real pain taking them off for morning break and lunch when with you and Rob for a day's course
As I understood Scott's post, it will only be for lunch that we will go upstairs now.
ski holidays
Godwin's has been invoked, time to close the thread.
ski holidays
skimottaret wrote:

I am struggling to imagine @rob@rar drinking the free slope coffee, let alone enjoying it.
snow report
@Tubaski, Laughing
ski holidays
Hurtle wrote:
@Linds,
Quote:

It will be a real pain taking them off for morning break and lunch when with you and Rob for a day's course
As I understood Scott's post, it will only be for lunch that we will go upstairs now.

We saw Rob in his trainers on Monday up there, it will get crowded on the benches when they get busier rolling eyes
ski holidays
Compulsory helmets - 'for the safety of our guests'.
No ski boots on the stairs - 'for the safety of our guests'.

Wonder why they have cancelled the building of the moguls that they promised for Saturday? Toofy Grin
snow conditions
@Oceanic, they call 'em moguls but they're really just speedbumps, for the safety of their guests.
snow report
I would think over the time they have been operating Snowcentre should have some meaningful stats on head injuries to justify the policy as evidence based. However I suspect this is driven more by a leadership role in encouraging safe practice in largely inexperienced skiers and boarders so I don't think I will be instituting a personal boycott even though it feels OTT to me and although I've worn helmets for nearly 20 years I've never considered it necessary indoors.
ski holidays
Hurtle wrote:
The much more annoying
Quote:

H & S knee jerk decision
at Hemel is their new rule that ski boots can't be worn upstairs, because the floors are too slippery. First, they should have anticipated that when choosing the flooring and, secondly, socks are even more slippery than ski boots. It annoys the hell out of me, as it takes me an age to get in and out of my boots, and I don't normally even loosen them at lunchtime, let alone take them off.

Tele and touring boits therefore OK per their policy if they have vibram type sole. What if you slip cat tracks on?
latest report
Could the boot issue be more of a problem for those not wearing ski boots, but potentially slipping on the water that is left behind when the snow melts.?
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy