Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Canada where?

 Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Bones wrote:
abc, so you haven't actually touched the 'Powder Highway' yet wink Toofy Grin
Book yourself a trip out there, you should enjoy it Madeye-Smiley

Was going to do it last winter. Got made redundant. Decided to stay put in Colorado. (less expense)

Again in the plan for this coming winter!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
abc wrote:
Not been to the other mountains between Banff and Whistler yet.


Ahh ....... ok.

Banff is plastic, and dull. Whistler is plastic, but kicking, towns and trails ......

Golden, Fernie, Revelstoke ....... even Jasper ....... proper 'Canadian' ........ good towns with cracking hills .......

Big White, Panorama ........ more 'resorty', but none the worse for it and cracking hills .......

SP, SS, Kimberley & Red, no idea, never been .......

AAJMO
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
BCjohnny, Red is so laid back its unbelievable, even by Canadian standards Toofy Grin They don't even have any high speed lifts for that reason, even when they upgrade or put new ones in.

You also missed WW, great hill again, very underrated, and Nelson is a fantastic town, with a great vibe.

abc, Hope you get good conditions, and have a great time there.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Bones wrote:
BCjohnny, Red is so laid back its unbelievable, even by Canadian standards Toofy Grin They don't even have any high speed lifts for that reason, even when they upgrade or put new ones in.


Biggest reason I've passed, nothing worse than being on a slooooow ride in Ca, in Jan ........ Nothing. And getting there, by reports, ain't easy, let alone getting out if it pukes.

And the chilled ski bum thing leaves me cold.

WW, ah no, again never been .......
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
We did sunshine, panorama, Kimberley, whitewater, red then fernie last year. Day at each. Best holiday ever. Got to be happy driving though. Driving is stunning and a good part of the holiday for me.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@motdoc,
Where did you stay in Panorama and Fernie? Over in Feb for a two week round route with Bannf inc, looking for decent lodging in P and F, any thoughts?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
The 'Pine Inn' in Panorama is basic, but warm, clean, and perfectly functional ...... you can hit the Mile One Quad with a snowball from it. The various other mountain lodgings provide better standards so it depends what you want.

In Fernie I've always stayed at FAR, and always at the 'Wolf's Den' (now 'Fernie Slopeside Lodge'), which is pretty much as the 'Pine Inn', with superior other accommodation on the hill, again. Be staying there March coming again for a couple of weeks ......

In each case never stopped in the town, either Invermere or Fernie, although in the latter case spent many nights in the town being only a short bus ride away.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Bones wrote:
BCjohnny, Red is so laid back its unbelievable, even by Canadian standards Toofy Grin They don't even have any high speed lifts for that reason, even when they upgrade or put new ones in.

You also missed WW, great hill again, very underrated, and Nelson is a fantastic town, with a great vibe.


I've done Banff, Revelstoke and Fernie so far. I really liked all of them, I'm hopefully (back permitted by but flight booked) going to Japan this year. The next big trip with the o/h we were looking at a week or so each in Red and Whitewater. The better half doesn't ski/board but loves to walk/sled/spend time in the mountains and towns.

As far as boarding goes I like trees and off piste, I don't mind lapping the same chair fir a couple of days, you can always find different lines etc, I assume the hills will be fine for me, is there much in the towns and activities for the other half?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@rogg,
Nelson (nr Whitewater) is quite small, Rossland (nr Red Mtn) is very small.
However, contrary to what BCjohnny thinks, the skiing at both of them rocks even with slow chairlifts - particularly Red Mtn, particularly particularly if you like steep tree skiing. Whitewater is great, but is quite small so not sure I'd want a whole week there. An alternative might be to start out at Revelstoke (also quite a small town), drive down from there - pretty straightforward drive despite a ferry over a lake!, then do Nelson and Rossland. Red is about an hour or so drive from nelson, so you could just stay there, but the last bit from Trail (close your eyes here (unless driving!)!) is not necessarily an easy drive if it snows a lot.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
stuarth wrote:
However, contrary to what BCjohnny thinks, the skiing at both of them rocks even with slow chairlifts - particularly Red Mtn, particularly particularly if you like steep tree skiing.


rolling eyes

Never said that, anywhere in any thread, never been so daft enough to comment on somewhere I've never been. And I've been to neither, not even expressed any kind of opinion at all about WW, so save the strawman for others.

The reason Rossland/Red doesn't appeal is only because of the slow lifts, I personally hate 'em when it's the only game in town. Also I once had a very long conversation with a guy in Fernie said he disliked the whole cliquey, hard core ski bum vibe that surrounds the place, and while I always take comments like that with a pinch of salt, it's a sentiment I've heard repeated. He regardless rated the terrain, which kinda confirmed my own impression from the digging I'd done over the years.

So if you're going to refer to me in a reply ...... at least do people the decency of getting the facts right wink
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
BCjohnny wrote:
Bones wrote:
BCjohnny, Red is so laid back its unbelievable, even by Canadian standards Toofy Grin They don't even have any high speed lifts for that reason, even when they upgrade or put new ones in.


Biggest reason I've passed, nothing worse than being on a slooooow ride in Ca, in Jan ........ Nothing. And getting there, by reports, ain't easy, let alone getting out if it pukes.

And the chilled ski bum thing leaves me cold.

WW, ah no, again never been .......


Anyhow, apologies if i misinterpreted your comment as not liking the place...


Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Wed 23-08-17 18:24; edited 2 times in total
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I didn't really have a problem with the "vibe" at Red - guess it depends on your thing, but much prefer it to Whistler
Also didn't really have a problem with the slow chairlifts - was kind of surprised when the put a new fixed grip in to replace the old fixed grip, but heh. It doesn't tend to get super cold in that part of the world and the "offending" lifts are very sheltered. When we first went there, I thought that would be an issue too, but after skiing something hardcore(-ish) having a rest on a slower lift was actually quite a good thing.
Will give you the hard to get there thing though, I have spent some time anxiously watching flights get cancelled out of Castlegar, trying to figure how to get back to Vancouver!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
BCjohnny wrote:
abc wrote:
Not been to the other mountains between Banff and Whistler yet.


Ahh ....... ok.

Banff is plastic, and dull. Whistler is plastic, but kicking, towns and trails ......

Golden, Fernie, Revelstoke ....... even Jasper ....... proper 'Canadian' ........ good towns with cracking hills .......

Big White, Panorama ........ more 'resorty', but none the worse for it and cracking hills .......

But I'm based in the Americas. So I've been to many other low key mountains. A-basin, Loveland, Sundance...

The only attraction of the "powder highway" is the potential for powder, without too much competition. So, plastic or not is for people taking holidays. I go for the skiing.

And for skiing, Whistler is actually insanely good (well the crowd is a bit of a problem, but not the town).
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
abc wrote:
So, plastic or not is for people taking holidays. I go for the skiing.

And for skiing, Whistler is actually insanely good (well the crowd is a bit of a problem, but not the town).


Not going to disagree with most of that .......
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Each to their own - there are lots of places to go. I like slow chair lifts, because they are directly connected to the number of people the resort is putting onto that slope, and much as I try to be civilized here, I really don't actually much like sharing good snow with other people, truth be told. I like slow T-bars even better because bad riders hate those even more.

Sometimes I like to ride big places, but if you're not local then they're particularly tough to actually get the goods.


You do get that "hard core" thing on the internet sometimes, but it kind of makes me smile as they really need to get out more or grow up a bit.
snow conditions
 Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
philwig, agree about the lifts and folks on the slopes - better to stack em on a lift wink

rogg, Accommodation wise in Fernie, depends what you want - close up near the slopes, in town, or something a bit different. When we went we stayed at a farm house - Birch Meadows B+B. Just further along from the resort and had single cabins to stay in. Hot tub on site if required. Had a great time - run by a Swiss couple. Sonja used to work up at Fernie Mtn.

Not much really to do in Rossland for OH, this is the main st. from the stop junction forwards- couple of areas off it and that's it.



But Red has excellent tree skiing, you can grab a cat ride for $10 - well worth it, as it goes to where they used to do cat skiing. That's moved over a hill IIRC.
White Water is pretty good too, again tree skiing and hike to, terrain. Limited crowds and plenty of white fluffy stuff. Madeye-Smiley
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
stuarth, Never thought the road to Trail was that bad tbh, we always drive into Red via Nancy Greene Pass, as we've always been at Big White first. Hitting the pass in a blizzard at 9pm with snow towering either side adds to the fun Toofy Grin at least you know they have good covering.

For some reason SWMBO isn't too keen - I just tell her to close her eyes again until we get there. The red lights on the masts as you drive down the pass though can be a relief Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hi all thanks for all advice - feedback , finally decided to leave whistler& sun peaks for another time and gone for non stop ski/ board powder triangle with guiding and instruction thrown in. Fernie - red - kh revel , 2 week trip Very Happy
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Kimh wrote:
Hi all thanks for all advice - feedback , finally decided to leave whistler& sun peaks for another time and gone for non stop ski/ board powder triangle with guiding and instruction thrown in. Fernie - red - kh revel , 2 week trip Very Happy


You'll have a ball
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Kimh wrote:
Hi all thanks for all advice - feedback , finally decided to leave whistler& sun peaks for another time and gone for non stop ski/ board powder triangle with guiding and instruction thrown in. Fernie - red - kh revel , 2 week trip Very Happy


Nice itinerary. Main problem with being in a Nonstop group is you're not likely to mix with the locals much but I think they have a good product if you're a "group" type of person.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Kimh, Sounds fun, and some good choices there. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Personally I think you've pretty much bagged the best on offer with that list. Only KH I've not done but heard good reports. You'll have a great time. Try and find some time for some side country too, Fernie side bowls like Mongolia are superb too if the rest of the hill is a bit tracked out and you don't mind earning your turns.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
When skiing panorama stayed at radium for the hot springs and got up early, loved it, try to go in the snow as much as possible. The motels are very reasonable. Worth staying in halcyon if you are happy with the drive (between Revelstoke, and Nelson or Rossland) and ski Apex for some proper local hill bragging rights.

Fernie. Red tree, was nice when we were there, but was v late in the season that time. They host the ski instructor courses.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
motdoc, Met some ladies from Apex this year while we were at Red, they persuaded us to head that way on our next BC roadtrip - couple of years time. You think its worth the detour ? Have heard some info about it but not a lot.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Spent a whole season doing a road trip from Calgary to Vancouver so been to most of them.

you have to decide when.. then decide where.

The best deal is Whistler in early December (its empty).

I also liked Fernie , Red, Jasper.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Sorry brain is mush - I meant Summit not Apex.

It's small Smile If I were leaving Revelstoke to go to WW/ Red I'd make a day of it - it's on the way. Drive to Halcyon in the evening after skiing enjoy springs, get up drive on to Summit ski for a bit, then drive on to Nelson (Whitewater) day or two there then onto Rossland (Red).
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
motdoc, Doesn't look like its worth putting your boots on for Toofy Grin
Did wonder when you mentioned Apex as that's a bit off the beaten track - will still probably get there tho for a day Madeye-Smiley
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
If you've 11 nights and are prepared to drive after skiing/in the dark you could do

4 days Fernie - drive to Nelson
1 day Whitewater - drive to Rossland
2 days Red Mtn - drive to Revelstoke
2 days Revy - drive to Golden
1 day Kicking Horse - drive to Louise
Last day Sunshine/Louise - drive to Calgary for evening flight

This would be a most excellent itinerary.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Just wanted to say thanks for all the posts guys the trip was amazing , did the cat at red and helied in revy , with a great group led by Non stops JF 😁
snow report



Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy