Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

goggles: was I fleeced?

Poster: A snowHead
Well you're not exactly a shrinking violet when it comes to 'pointing things out'.

It might amuse you to know that my first journalistic job was on a skateboard magazine - Skateboard! - which was the UK's most successful, during the late-70s boom. The editor never stood on a skateboard, but the content was super hot.

The credentials game isn't very snowHeads - it would just lead to unfriendly rivalry. If mistakes are made they can be corrected. I've clearly under-estimated the percentage of helmet users in Switzerland right now. Apologies for that.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
why why why do you guys have to do this? rolling eyes
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I agree. The world should be seen through rose-tinted goggles.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
David Goldsmith wrote:
Last week the distinguished US ski safety research Jasper Shealy quoted 28% using helmets, but I believe this was a US figure.

In that case it must vary a lot between resorts. It was at least 80% in Snowbird last week, based on the average tram users head cover of choice.

I don't know about Jasper, but Snowbird is regarded as one of the "harder" US resorts, which probably has a bearing.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
I bought a fleece for £65 that turned out to be no better than a cheapy. Was I Goggled?

Laughing best post on this slightly irksome thread
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Who are you calling an irk?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
the usual attempt at smoke and mirrors to distract attention, this was the problem:

Quote:
michaelc. Welcome to snowHeads! The majority - probably at least 90% - of people only wear goggles in a white-out/bad light, or when snow is falling (mainly because it stings the eyes).

It doesn't accord with other peoples experience, so it's fair to ask what this observation's based on and if it's current. You can't, or won't, answer as usual which is fine. You can hardly blame me if I think it's something you made up under the circumstances.

these were all of the same ilk:

Quote:
ise, I disagree with that prediction, and would put money on it. Next time you go on the slopes in good light, count the proportion of people wearing goggles and helmets.

In 5 years time the numbers of helmet wearers will have increased, but I'd be amazed if it was more than 30% on any European slope.

The proportion of goggle users in good light is highly unlikely ever to be greater than 10%, because people find them sweaty.

We can play around with the percentages, but I'd be happy to lay the bet on agreed percentages.

So, you seem to accept for Switzerland at least this was wrong and are presumably glad you didn't really put money on it.

If you, or anyone else I suppose, are saying it wasn't strictly necessary for me to suggest you were making it up and never actually went skiing and wondering why you did this all the time then I accept that's quite right and I'm very sorry, all I can say is I've been wondering for a while and I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Are you calling me an irk?

I have a simple approach to life and writing. Tell the truth. The vast majority of snowHeads seem to follow that 'rule of faith', which is why this place is so friendly. If you're saying I haven't told the truth about something then quote the original words and they will be corrected/retracted/apologised for if they weren't true.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
nbt wrote:
I forgot my glasses and didn;t even notice!

Should have made a list ;-)
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Used to use 2 pairs of goggles. One for bright sunshine and some Oakley O frame Persimon lenses for bad light. Now I use the Oakleys all the time even in spring, it's just less hassle and they live permanently on my helmet.

Regarding helmet use. In Switzerland (and presumably other alpine countries) there is a good range at all price ranges available in supermarkets as well as sports shops. Given the practicality of warmth as well as protection, it is not a difficult decision for a lot of people.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
David Goldsmith wrote:
The credentials game isn't very snowHeads - it would just lead to unfriendly rivalry. If mistakes are made they can be corrected. I've clearly under-estimated the percentage of helmet users in Switzerland right now. Apologies for that.

Just how outrageous that was only just struck me. Are you now going to apologise to every snowhead who's posted about their ski trips after labelling them as creating unfriendly rivalry?

Yet again, it begs the question just what you think snowheads is all about. I'm pretty damn sure the rest of us think it's expressively to compare notes about skiing and the stuff we're all doing. Yet apparently you don't Puzzled
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Well, hopefully it's not outrageous, just friendly. If I go into a room to have a chat with a bunch of friendly people I wouldn't ask them of their 'experience' in any particular thing being discussed - be it politics, flower arranging, or ski bindings. It would probably come out in conversation.

Of course snowHeads is about comparing notes about ski experiences ... and anything to do with snow.

That's what it says on the tin.
"Love Snow ... Live Snow ... Eat Snow"

We don't talk much about eating snow, but my kids were once treated to some sorbet ... fruit syrup mixed into a piste, during a ski lesson in Stowe!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
michaelc wrote:
eng_ch, I got mine in Ochsner Sport, in fact, but the one on Bahnhofstrasse in ZH. I'd heard fairly good things about the shop before and I had a good experience myself buying hiking boots there.

FWIW I find Ochsner are great if you know what you're after, and you can get some decent deals - I picked up some Leki trigger poles for half price in the sales and was well chuffed. For advice, though, my gut places more reliance on Och Sport (opposite the St Annahof Coop) or even Jelmoli's ski and boot dept. Neither is exactly cheap, but the customer service is good, the staff are knowledgeable ime and in Och most have been there at least 10 years. Och also do a loyalty card - it's not a mega bonus but it's better than a slap in the eye. They also stock a better range of skis imo.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
David Goldsmith wrote:
. It would probably come out in conversation.

That's very much what most of us think I believe, so we're right to assume you're a non-skiing snowhead. Actually going skiing's never come up the 10,000 conversations you've had with us.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
No, you're not right to assume that. I've told you that I've skied from 1959, through 2005, with 4 gap years.

Please let's not go down the credentials corridor.
If I was a snowman artist, or sorbet chef, I'd be welcome here, on the above definition.
ski holidays
I certainly noticed a lot more people wearing helmets in the PdS last week (not exactly known as a hardcore area, like Engelberg, where I saw everyone in helmets), which surprised me.

I now wear goggles all the time: saves constantly changing in variable conditions, hurts my face less if (sorry, when) I stack it, less likely to fall off when I stack it, prevents my eyeballs freezing, produces lovely tanlines so everyone in the office knows what I've been up to... Cool
latest report
David Goldsmith wrote:
I've been skiing from 1959 through 2005, with four gap years.

Sneering at other people, sarcasm, twisting the truth

What did you do the 4th year? NehNeh
ski holidays
FenlandSkier, noooooooooooooo don't encourage them wink
snow report
David Goldsmith wrote:
No, you're not right to assume that. I've told you that I've skied from 1959, through 2005, with 4 gap years.

Please let's not go down the credentials corridor.
If I was a snowman artist, or sorbet chef, I'd be welcome here, on the above definition.

OK, so where did you go in 2005 then? When and for how long?

How hard a question can that be? It's nothing to do with credentials, I just want to know on what basis you're lecturing us on how many people wear helmets or goggles.
ski holidays
I bought a new pair of goggles this year, some persimmon lenses from Oakley. They are more of a low light lense, but I recently wore them for clear blue skies and very sunny days. Although I sometimes squinted a little looking towards the sun, as they are 100% effective at blocking UV I have no worries regarding eye safety. Very comfy!!! Cool
snow report
There're definitely two parallel conversations going on here... Puzzled

Scarpa, did you notice the lenses got an awful lot darker after looking at the sun Shocked
snow conditions
Scarpa, exactly my experience. A dark tint isn't much use in a white out but the persimmon takes off enough glare to be useable in bright sunlight.
snow conditions
Adidas LST Silver lens seems to do the trick for me: rose lens with a silver mirror finish. Based on my experience with Bollé rose/silver lenses, I would say that only a complete white-out will be a problem.
ski holidays
Sharkymark,
Quote:

Adidas LST Silver lens seems to do the trick for me: rose lens with a silver mirror finish.

Got some of those with my Adidas sunnies, together with the Space lens and the Orange low light lens, which looks Yellow!
latest report
snowbunny, good aren't they?
ski holidays
Sharkymark,
Quote:

snowbunny, good aren't they?

Very good, I'm pleased with them Very Happy
snow conditions
I have to say that I'm one of those who is yet to be converted to goggles unless it is snowing - perhaps that's because I don't have very good quality goggles - I mean they're OK, and perfectly 'fit for purpose' ( UVEX, about $50 bucks in Colorado ) - but I do prefer my Oakley sunnies Cool Cool
ski holidays
Sharkymark wrote:

Scarpa, did you notice the lenses got an awful lot darker after looking at the sun Shocked

Nope, but got some fantastic halo's around everything and skiing through after-images on bumps is like a sci fi space film Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Is this the point where we have to put in a disclaimer advising against staring at the sun in order to get spaced out scifi skiing experiences Laughing
latest report
C'mon, that
Quote:

I bought a fleece for £65 that turned out to be no better than a cheapy. Was I Goggled?

deserves some appreciation !

ha ha.... Very Happy
snow conditions
Richie_S, I thought so. See 5th post on this page! Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Almost everyone I know personally who skis or boards seriously rather than punter cruising wears goggles. Better for contact wearers, the only option if you don't want prescription sunglasses and the swapping glasses farce whenever indoors, eye protection from low hanging branches, more likely to be retained in a crash, easier to repair with duct tape/sellotape in the event of the above crash, less skin area exposed to frostbite/ski cancer. Minimal fogging if you wear them on your face not your forehead.
snow report
fatbob, I wear contacts and now only wear goggles. I used to wear good wrap round sunglasses but your eyes are always to dry or to cold. Goggles keep them constant all day with better visibilty imo. It may also be because I've started wearing a helmet and sun glasses look so wrong with a helmet.

slikedges, Definitly worth a mention. Very funny. Laughing

Sharkymark, I started reading this page and had to refer to the title to remind myself which conversation was the original. I think they should just step outside and sort it out properly Evil or Very Mad Puzzled
ski holidays
I live in Canada Where under 18 at most ski hills is manditory to wear helmets, and now majority of adults are wearing helmets. i work in a ski store where we sells endless numbers of helmets to adults and to kids. safety is a big thing here especially during this freeriding movement.
ski holidays
redleaf4,

Welcome to Snowheads.

You've put your finger on it. Increasingly, it's becoming required for kids learning to ski to wear helmets (certainly in North America).

This will inevitably convert into routine helmet use by adults, as these kids grow up. - Some parents even start wearing a helmet to deflect complains form their kids.

A parallel, here in England, is the requirement for all children to wear helmets when they play cricket as juniors. Old lags like myself still don't wear one, but about 80% of under 30's do.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy