Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Samoens advice

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Looking for some good advice on Samoens please - best reasonably priced restaurants in the town, most helpful ski hire shop, when are queues shortest for the cable car, things to do after skiing or the weather is bad, etc plus any other good tips
Also is the Carrefour any good or are you better stocking up at Cluses? We'll be driving down from the UK so have a car
Will just be me and my teenage sons so anything that makes it easier is welcome
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
maybe close one of these threads?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Ski shops, two most prominent in Samoens centre are Roland Gay, that also have lockers at top 1600 alt I think if you want to store on piste. Plus Planet Glisse that had offered good service from our experience.

Town can be reasonably busy after ski day, decent atmosphere, cafés and bars around plus variety of restaurants. Ice skating rink is usually running in town too.

Carrefour is good size, plenty of choice and stock that'll not leave you short of anything really. There are a few alternatives on "less obvious " route up to that valley if you are approaching from Geneva direction, you don't have to go through Cluses and there are about 3 other supermarket on route if you need them.

Main lift is always going to be easiest at first opening, you might as well get on up the mountain and take a coffee when up there if required. Saying that we've never particularly queued there, more likely when using it to return at day's end as no piste down. It can get a bit delayed then, but you can just take another loop round skiing Samoen sector while you wait rather than stand in que.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
As ever it depends on when you are going. At half term it is definitely better to go up after 10.00 to avoid ski school times. With teenage boys I would suggest Le Serrac, Bar Savoie and Le Canette for eating. This gives a good and accurate summary of what's available. https://www.alpsaccommodation.com/samoens-restaurants.htm
Otherwise completely agree with ski3
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
A question to the OP and to those familiar with the area - I understand it is in the same ski pass with Ischgl, where it will be more convenient to choose the B&B/hotel etc? (Price related as well)
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

I understand it is in the same ski pass with Ischgl

Puzzled Puzzled Puzzled Not even in the same country, @drporat.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@drporat, are you thinking of Samnaun (CH)?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Yep. Sorry for being stupid rolling eyes
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Stupid Question Day! At the top of the GME at the end of the day, would they ever stop running (say, at x o'clock sharp) whilst there was a queue waiting to go down? What I'm driving at is, do we need to be especially cautious, bordering on stupidly early at the end of the day? Cheers.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Don't think there's a hard cutoff for that one as most skiers need it to clear the mountain as the only (generally accepted and used) way down.

The other route being to ski down to the Vercland lift base and bus it back across to Samöens.

The whole mountain usually will stop with the further uplift from that plateu ceasing, making all skiers clear the mountain as they can't go anywhere. They just have to run GME until everyone is gone.

You need to make sure if you are in Flaine though that you get the Grand Van 8pax out in time to get Corblanche lift to top of Tete Des Saix in order to reach anything in that non Flaine sector.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Forgot to add, it's likewise to clear from Les Carroz if going back to Samöens, it's close relatively in skiing terms but is a fair distance by road, and in another valley.

Just check the lift timings on stations to be aware of needs if you are skiing further afield. I think it's true that you need two lifts from any one sector/village to get back to another in every one of the whole GM area.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Great, thanks for that.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy