Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Heatwave Lucifer effect on the Alps

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
@Bennyboy1, great pics, but blimey I've never seen it so bad.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@telford_mike, I noticed they are not showing the webcam from Tuxer since a few weeks ago. Not sure but could be deliberate attempt to hide the condition from would be visitors. I didn't take any from the top of the next lift as high winds meant getting down quickly but you can see from the webcam it looks quite poor.

I am back to ski in Nov so hopefully some good early snowfall helps to hide the rock!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Bennyboy1, that looks grim! Fairly sure when I started skiing in Tux the glacier extended right down to and even below the Tuxerfernerhaus. It's been quite some time since I've been up there in summer, but that does look a lot worse than it did last time I was there.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
50cm of fresh snow in saas fee, -4 at the top lift, glorious.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Bennyboy1 wrote:
@telford_mike, I noticed they are not showing the webcam from Tuxer since a few weeks ago.

They do that a lot when things get bad, in winter too.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@davidof, someone at Tux didn't think through that marketing tactic very well...
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Bennyboy1 wrote:

Compare that photo to this one from August 1984:
http://www.christianengl.de/TuxerFerner2.jpg

And this massive area of seracs is now completely gone:
http://www.christianengl.de/TuxerFerner3.jpg

(And yet still there are deluded imbeciles out there who claim there is no global warming...)
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Martin Bell, thanks for the pictures. Shocking and sad. It's so strange to think I was skiing down this very piste (over the stream) on 29th May this year.

In 30 years they will need to build another hut further up towards the top of the ridge (or the very top) or the summer tourists won't be able to see the ice from their lunch spot.

Still I understand the Austrian glaciers are doing better than the French this year...

Here's hoping for a few years of respite from the heat!!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
https://www.victoria.ac.nz/news/2017/02/explaining-new-zealands-unusual-growing-glaciers
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Martin Bell, yep. 1985 was my first time up on the Tuxer Glacier. I was fairly sure the ice reached down as far as the Tuxerfernerhaus, and even as far as the Spannagelhaus a bit further down. Sorry state of affairs.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.

@coddlesangers, Any new snow is welcome to protect the ice. The Saas-Fee glaciers have retreated massively in the last 30 years. When I first went in 1987 there was a 8m high ice wall at the glacier lake. That glacier tongue has now retreated 400-500m.

This old poster shows the changes in the last 200 years. There are big changes in the last 15 years since 2002:
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Too late now, the Swiss glaciers will mainly be gone by mid century, even if carbon emissions were held at current levels.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@PowderAdict, that is really interesting....showing that retreating glaciers (as an indicator of climatic warming) has beem going on for at least 125 years.
That rather puts the current panic into some perspective, though it is very sad to see them go it does make me/us wonder if it really is all our fault, or is it just part of a Big Trend that is part of a climate cycle?

The answer is one that our grandchildren's grandchildren may be able to answer.

Whether or not is is our fault it remains the case that pollution is bad, resource should be carefully husbanded and clean technology should be encouraged where appropriate.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Interesting photo as it also seems to show more snow in the 2002 image than the 1952 picture, that maybe the angle but aren't there also pictures of the Chamonix glaciers that show an increase in the mid 20th century?

PS I'm not a climate change denier but do find some of the cyclical nature of weather interesting.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy