Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Which Austrian Resorts attract different Nationalities?

Poster: A snowHead
Which Austrian Resorts attract different Nationalities?

Where do most Brits/Dutch/German/Scandinavians head to?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@NewSki, I seem to recall that Kirchberg (near Kitzbuhel) was very popular with the Dutch.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@NewSki, St Anton, along with nearby Lech, Zurs, St Christoph, fairly cosmopolitan in my experience.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Kitzbühel, in my experience* is absolutely chock full of large Gentlemen from the Cook Islands, brandishing weird driving licences and wondering where the rugby pitches are.

* I have never visited .
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@NewSki, most resorts get targeted by all sorts. Not many Brits in Serfaus/Fiss/Ladis and almost no Brits (but lots of Dutch) in Kleinwalsertal. Seems to me I have been seeing far fewer Russians this last season.
St. Anton is overrun with Brits, but also with Dutch.
Very few French get sighted in Austria, but a surprising number of Swiss.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Flachau for scandis and dutch.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Zillertal is a favourite with Dutch and Belgians, and at weekends, Czech, Slovaks, etc. And Germans (probably because it's not far off the autobahn). 99% of the Brits there I think end up in Mayrhofen, and very few in the other villages. But the opposite seems true for day visitors.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Gerlos seems to be 99% Dutch. Westendorf mainly Dutch followed by Irish and Germans.

It also depends what time of the season you go as you will be more likely to come across Russians in January.

I like a good mix and prefer the British contingent to be low key which is where Austria scores highly over France for me.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Saalbach is very cosmopolitan: Dutch, Germans, Scandis, Irish and Brits in the main, but also two of my step-children met their spouses from Estonia and Australia respectively in apres-ski bars here (and are now living with various offspring in those countries). Also a surprising number of South Africans. Obviously you also meet Italians and people from the all the various Eastern European and Balkan countries. Last season I met a group of lost Turks and an Israeli up the Mountain at about 6pm. Oh, and a few Russians during their Christmas week. The family who own the next door apartment to one of ours are French - after that nothing would surprise me! There are also a few popular Dutch-owned and Swedish-owned bars and apartment houses here.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
under a new name wrote:
Kitzbühel, in my experience* is absolutely chock full of large Gentlemen from the Cook Islands, brandishing weird driving licences and wondering where the rugby pitches are.

* I have never visited .

But they'll be calling themselves, New Zealanders Very Happy
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Bad Gastein = Scandi

I guess St. Johann will get more popular with the Swedes/Norwegians as it was bought by the Swedish Skistar AB.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@NewSki, why do you ask?
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Themasterpiece wrote:

I guess St. Johann will get more popular with the Swedes/Norwegians as it was bought by the Swedish Skistar AB.

Which St.Johann is that, St.Johann in Tirol or St. Johann im Pongau?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Alastair Pink wrote:
Themasterpiece wrote:

Which St.Johann is that, St.Johann in Tirol or St. Johann im Pongau?

St. Johann in Tirol http://www.planetski.eu/news/7487. It's included in the annual SkiStar All pass this year.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
The big, internationalized resorts in Austria are:

St Anton / Lech.
Kitzbuehel.
Ischgl.
Saalbach-Hinterglemm.
Mayrhofen.
snow report
The International Report on Snow and Mountain Tourism is the authoritative source/mine of information on such questions. Can be downloaded.
ski holidays
Obergurgl / Hochgurgl - Germans,Dutch,Irish and Brits.
snow report
holidayloverxx wrote:
Flachau for scandis and dutch.

The other side of the hill in Wagrain is popular with Danish visitors.

I'm in Saalbach this week, in the apartmenthaus we're using there's us (Brits), Hungarians, Germans and an Italian. He's here for business though, mushroom picking!

We were in Schladming last week. Lots of Czech, Austrians and Germans, not many Brits. However, we went up to the Dachstein glacier for a visit and were besieged by loads of French (I'd like to say students as they were in their early 20s). They were on a European tour, 23 countries in 20 days according to their t-shirts in Peugeot 205s (there were about 20 parked in the car park). They were a good bunch.
ski holidays
Zell am See = Saudies in summer
Hinterglemm = Orthodox Jews in summer. Really is quite an odd thing to see. In winter both are full of the usual mix of German, Dutch and Brits
snow conditions
Quote:

Zell am See = Saudies in summer
Hinterglemm = Orthodox Jews in summer.

I well remember one sweltering hot summer's day a couple of years ago, when, as I stood in the village square of Saalbach, wearing a tee-shirt and shorts, there were people dressed in black from head to toe wherever I looked - burkhas, orthodox Jews in wigs and big hats like car tyres, and hard-core mountain-bikers in leathers and full-face helmets. They had one thing in common - they were all sweltering for the sake of their religion Laughing
snow conditions
Maria Alm for the Dutch. For a population of 17million they sure love their hols!

For my first ski holiday abroad in 1987 in Kitzhuehel I was taught by a Kiwi the first week and spent the second week skiing with a couple of Iranian guys.
ski holidays
@hawkesbaynz,
We have 1 million skiers. 1 in 17....not sure the Germans manage that. For sure the Brits don't! Toofy Grin
snow report
It's all a matter of perception. Skiing in Austria, I shared a lift with a German from Munich who said he always skied in Austrian resorts because they were better (bigger) than German ones. He was convinced that all British people loved skiing because wherever he skied, (large Austrian resorts), there were always a majority of Brits! Laughing
ski holidays
A lot of places are known as -insert nation- towns. Indeed our transfer minibus driver a couple of years ago said St Anton is an English town and Nauders a Dutch one, despite most of the Ausländer we came across in Nauders being German.
latest report
@Langerzug
I should have been born a Dutchman as I love your attitude. Work hard and take at least 10 weeks holiday a year Madeye-Smiley
snow report
Ischgl seems to be big with the randy scandys at the moment.
snow report
Dutch in Solden, loads of 'em!
latest report
Loads of Dutch and Skandis in Saalbach and Ischgl. I thought we were reasonably enthusiastic drinkers until we met the Dutch Shocked

I've not seen many people drink out of two pint glasses with handles at the same time (one above the other) without spilling a drop...
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
St Anton.

Germans still officially out number British.

English is almost the official wintervkanguage because the resort attracts people from every corner of planet earth.
snow report
Lots of Aussies in Soll & the Skiwelt villages. Acquaintance from the West Island just bought 4 apartments in Hopfgarten... and moonlights playing one man band Cold Chisel covers in Bar Ambiente, very popular with the Contiki Tours Toofy Grin
ski holidays
I am in Mayrhofen this week. Every third car has a Netherlands plate in the Zillertal in summer. Germans another third.

Seeing quite a few Arab visitors. Ladies in full traditional dress this year.
ski holidays
*Arab ladies....
latest report
hawkesbaynz wrote:
Maria Alm for the Dutch. For a population of 17million they sure love their hols!

For my first ski holiday abroad in 1987 in Kitzhuehel I was taught by a Kiwi the first week and spent the second week skiing with a couple of Iranian guys.

I can confirm this about Maria Alm, there was loads of Dutch when I visited aswell as lots of Danish
snow report
Serfaus has many Swiss visitors which is not surprising as it's just over the border. Same reason a lot of Italians visit the ski resorts in Kärten. Very few brits visit the Kärnten area though, probably because it only really has one large ski resort (Nassfeld) and a small Airport nearby.

Middle Eastern visitors like Salzburg because it rains a lot.
latest report
Wagrain was mainly Dutch and German with some Scandinavians (including Danish) when I was there. Very few Brits.

Saalbach seemed to be mainly Dutch, German, Danish, British and Scandanavian

I know its not Austria, but in Corvara year before last, there were quite a few North Americans. Think they're starting to get the Dolomite bug!!
ski holidays
My personal experience of Ski Amade is that in general there are very few Brits, lots of Germans and Dutch, Austrians (of course) and in recent years an increasing number of visitors from places such as Hungary, Poland, Czech Republic, Croatia, Slovenia and Slovakia. I base this on the voices that I hear around me and the registration plates of the cars that I see in ski area car parks. Having said that I have on more than one occasion seen lots of white transit-type vans with UK plates in Flachauwinkl that have transported a tsunami of British snowboarders to the area.
latest report
@bobbev999, they're Army chaps.
latest report
St Anton - Brits
Mayrhofen - Brits and East Europeans/Russians
Soell - Brits
Soelden - East Europeans/Brits/Irish
Obergurgl - Brits/Irish/Germans

The Dutch all seem to be in France this year.
latest report
@Scamper, Plenty of Dutch here in Saalbach - Dutch hotels/apartments, a Dutch restaurant, a Dutch bar - even a “Dutch week” (towards the end of March).
latest report
under a new name wrote:

* I have never visited .

Sounds like Auckland. I've been to Kitzbuhel and Auckland, and can definitely say there are a lot more tw@ts in Auckland.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy