Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Recommend me a POW snowboard pls

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Having just tried out my new hovercraft over the last couple days in the psb I can say it rides really well on piste... I can't say much about powder but from what very little I've tried it seems to live up to its name.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Tankerdriver wrote:
http://youtube.com/v/roSdePY4rKQ

Here is another one to look at @Gainz, I have one and it is good in the steeper deeper stuff, carries speed well. Don't be fooled by the length, rides like a much shorter board!

I thought my Korua was long at 164, now I am impressed, going out tomorrow to test it on some nice powder, will let you know, here in slovakia we have had a lot of early snow fall, about four weeks early and on friday it was great even on the dodgy mountain runs.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Despite my misgivings about the look of the thing, I just picked up a Dump Truck for complicated reasons. I hear that it rips in powder (the profile suggests it should).
Burton had three left, now they've only got two.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Yeah I did have another look at the Dump Truck and its just such a odd shape that I decided against it (again!). The chap at TSA had ridden it (Burton fanboy) and said it rode oddly but was pretty good in deep snow. Let me know how you get on with it.

@jjams82, can't believe that you guys are riding the mountain and I'm stuck in the office looking at this PC screen, oh well off to court now...
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Gainz, yeah, it's a tough life.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Well, just to add insult to injury, I used the Korua on Tuesday and it was very impressive, I have a Pencil 164 and Maria has a Tranny Finder, good names eh! anyway, the powder was not so deep but very rideable and today I took out my 7 year old Jones board and rode the rocky areas, found some good lines and never scratched it once, we are lucky to get into the mountains this early in the season but no complaints, don't worry @Gainz I worked for 50 years to have days like this and it was worth it in the end.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Anyone tried a Marhar lumberjack?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
The Dump Truck
After originally disliking the shape, I'm ok with it now - it's not pretty, but I can see what it does and the graphics are prettier up close than they look on screen.

The base graphics aren't bad either. That's a shot from today.

I've been riding this for a few days in Cat-accessed coastal BC powder.

This is the 154 - worryingly short for people like me who don't like the Con Artist type short boards in deep powder. The good news is that this feels like a proper snowboard, not like those boys' toys. The weight recommendations are spot on, and this is definitely the right size for someone of my weight. The shape reminds a little of the Capita Spring Break from last season, except that was a bit of a plank, where as this isn't. Wide, with lots of running length, upturned tip & tail. It's a traditional camber design: thankfully the rocker fashion is dead other than as a marketing concept. The tail works the way you'd expect, and the camber works well in powder.

I've no intention of riding this anywhere near a piste, but if you did I'd guess that it'd be reasonably ok there. It's wide, but not "radical" in practice. My buddy has the big board in this series (165?) and reckons it rips on piste too.

I've not (yet) tried to compare this with my last-year's favourite Landlord, but I think I like this better.

It's a Terje/JG design and it just works. Not revolutionary, just a board you can get on which will do anything in a reliable way. I didn't find it "odd" to ride at all - it felt like a Spring Break but with a flex pattern I like; I did not even think about the shape of it, which doesn't (negatively) affect the ride. I think (like the SB) that the actual nose shape isn't really important; the flex and base profile likely is. The tail is the key feature of any powder board (because that's what you use to control speed) and this one flexes like it should.
-----

Other people were on a range of powder designs. Japanese boards seem popular, and generally shapes and marketing (for powder boards at least) seem to have moved some distance in the right direction this season.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@philwig, thanks!

I won't be riding my Branch Manager until March but will try out some pow boards in a couple of weeks in Argentiere. I'll try and have a go on the dump truck and skeleton key and maybe the optimistic.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
So I'm back from Argentiere and I'm totally messed up now in which board to buy. I stayed at the UCPA and first tried the Rossi Krypto at 164w which had great float in the pow but felt cumbersome everywhere else. I decided to switch to a Rossi Jibsaw at 162w and this was just a blast. It was so much fun all over the mountain even in the deeper stuff. Its a freestyle board but it was setup with some setback. I also demo'd a Good boards Capra again at 164w which was a work of art and amazing in the pow but everywhere else was just a nightmare. It was too much board for what I wanted. I'm just stumped now so I'm thinking of going directional twin but around the 162 length and a nose at 30cm width with a medium flex. Can't seem to find anything that fits these specs. Any thoughts?
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Why did you ride a krypto 164w thinking its a powder board design and why did you not ride a hovercraft 156cm which is a tree powder board design ?

At some point you must understand you can have a powder brd quiver or you can have one highly versatile stick with a proven track record that works .

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Mon 15-01-18 4:47; edited 2 times in total
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Tirol 164, because thats what they had and recommended.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
They are fkn clowns
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
So I returned from Japan and decided to go with the Jones Explorer in the end and boy I wasn't disappointed. Such a great board for all the conditions thrown at me over there; from pow to ice and corn to crust. Stiff enough to bomb around, floaty enough to ride the pow waves and buttery enough to play around on piste even riding switch. I felt it could go fast but didn't take it to its limits as I prefered my Endeavor Next for that. We didn't get the deepest of snow conditions but I'm sure it could handle it. Looking forward to the next trip now.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
2018 BURTON DUMP TRUCK 163 REVIEW

So folks let's get started....., I've had a '15 Burton Landlord 163 for a number of years now as my go to Jap' freeride board of choice.

I sold the LL a few months ago as I had my eye on the '18 Burton Dump Truck which is basically the superseded replacement of the LL. Did lots of research reading and watching all the reviews I could find online for the DT, especially from the goodride, that spoke positive about its performance but because of the early days out from release, none were really that comprehensive at all in details.

Anyway with my powdery Japanese holiday looming in the very near distant future I needed to strike soon.

Rider profile: 37 years of experience in the snow, with my ability level just on advanced, height 191cm and clocking in at a "healthy?" middle aged 98kg fully kitted up.

Well I emailed Burton Au' who informed me that there were only 7 x DT163 coming into Australia for 2017/18. So making life really really easy, Burton Australia kindly listed for me all the stores that were being allocated these shipments. In Australia online shopping is your biggest friend as the market is tiny compared with the "Megalogigantice" retail enormity of the US of A. I ended up grabbing a Burton DT 163 with almost 30% off when it had only just landed retail in store a few days earlier. Absolutely Stoked.

Was so excited watching the Postal tracking waiting for hit's arrival. The DT came delivered boxed up and still wrapped in the factory plastic. Well this board looks so much better in the flesh than in the pic's. The blunt shovel nose and tail are a totally different outline to the LL previous sharper bullet nose and tail style. It's still basically very similar in the profile and size being a tapered directional S rocker but the DT looks a lot more beefier than the LL. The DT is spec'd down a little with a FSC™ Certified Super Fly II™ 700G Core, Dualzone™ EGD™ as opposed to the LL which came out with the ultralight FSC™ Dragonfly 600G Core similar to that used in the Custom X. The Taper on the DT is less at 15mm as opposed to the LL at 17mm.

Being an avid tuner I couldn't wait to start playing with this board. I waxed and rotor brushed her up prior to leaving with Hertal FC739 as you can't ever have enough speed. Kitted up this ride with a set of '18 Genesis "Painted wood" EST bindings and Burton Imperials. Had the DT setup at -15mm to the rear of reference on the front and -20mm back from reference in the rear. So there's heaps of setback going on in here with a distance of 630mm from the nose to the central underside point on the front binding and a distance of 425mm from the tail to the central binding point on the rear.

Touch down Hokkaido, Japan. So my first day on this board was spent in Furano. Dropping off from the top of the Kitanomine Gondola is a nice steep incline of fresh piste to test out its christening. Well, from the 1st turn I made on this board I felt it instantly gelling and blowing me away. What I've noticed straight away with the DT is that you can set down some super heavy high speed carves on the piste with a mind blowing degree of confidence and certainty...., thank you camber. This board is moderately stiff, around a 7 with Burton's 45 degree carbon highlight weave. The fresh FC739 was really kicking in on this WFO sintered base with the DT hooking super hard. I was slightly worried from past experience with the S rocker on the LL that at the speed I was clocking in at I might punch the front edge out, but the DT didn't give a single inch. It's almost felt like, how'd you say......, Custom X'ish. I was dropping down some really hard lines at maximum speed and this board feels so much faster than the LL.

So the DT has left me so damn impressed with its edge hold ability at speed on the groomed piste...., but this isn't what the DT is really about. It's a board made for freeriding.

So freeriding we go. Lucky for me I'm in Japan and there is absolutely no shortage here of any of that.

Travelled to Kamui after a glorious 30cm overnight dump. Ventured into a bit of back country hitting some black level knee deep powder runs. Was able to set down some great carves immediately in the untouched freshies with utter confidence. The DT planes so effortlessly through the untracked powder with the blunt nose keeping well on top and the tail becoming so light and surfy.

You can easily throw the tail of the DT around 180 degrees side to side and slash your way through powdery tree runs with complete ease. Got buried so many times in heaps of powder showers exploding through glorious untouched fresh runs leaving you with the biggest smile on your face.

This board has absolutely no short comings.

So from 2 weeks of solid riding on the Burton DT it's truly impressed me as a next level step up freeride/powder board. There was absolutely no transition needed with my riding style when you jump onto this ride. The DT can joyously do everything I throw at it in both powder and piste with sheer brilliance. This board will lift your ability up so much. It would not be wrong for me to say that, "This is the best board I've ever owned".

Grab this board if you can, it's that damn good.

An easy 5 stars⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

Not sure how to put pictures in here yet so here is a link to review with pics. Very Happy

http://ezloungin.com/ezlounge/gear/the-offical-burton-thread/paged/132/
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy