Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What next after being a seasonaire?

Poster: A snowHead
When I was running a sales dept on a major newspaper and recruiting, those CV's where the applicant had done a few seasons were always of interest as I knew that people who had done a few seasons (and note the plural) were naturally on the whole more gregarious and would fit into the sales environment and do well - back then was not quite Wolf Of Wall Street, but at times not too far off.

So my daughter after a bit of pressure from me did her first season some five years ago and still stays in regular contact with the people she met over the next three or so years.

Back then she did write some good features on being a seasonaire - and she's now written a follow up feature "What happens when seasonaires grow up"

I'm naturally biased but think it's a damn good read http://www.stylealtitude.com/5-seasonaires-5-years-later.html

And as for seasonaires when they really grow up, what do they become?

Simple Geezernaires - that's what us "oldies" are referred to in Serre Toofy Grin
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
What about those of us who were already grown up when we first did seasons?! 36 when I did my first (of two); nearly 5 years on and I still look back fondly on those times, even it was just a career break (and a break from reality).

Nice read.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Dav wrote:
What about those of us who were already grown up when we first did seasons?! 36 when I did my first (of two); nearly 5 years on and I still look back fondly on those times, even it was just a career break (and a break from reality).

Nice read.

Hi Dav, I'd be interested to hear more about your experience as I'm 36 and considering a similar idea. As for the OP I'm just reading the article now sound slike an interesting premise.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I was 30 when I did my season. Again it was a career break. I was all set to go back the follwoign year, but stupidly landed myself a really good job in my previous profession and never went back. Some days I regret that decision!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I was 40... worked my backside off for a chalet company. Turns myself into a complete ski addict. Back to the same old job afterwards, then gave it up for a year, and then finally went back to it again. I'm self employed so now take lots of holidays in the winter to feed the addiction...
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I was 40... worked my backside off for a chalet company. Turns myself into a complete ski addict. Back to the same old job afterwards, then gave it up for a year, and then finally went back to it again. I'm self employed so now take lots of holidays in the winter to feed the addiction...
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Weathercam, Im loving the Geezernaires term!

@Minion1980, I did my first one at 33. My one piece of advice would be to get a job in resort as it helps with the social aspects. For the first 2 years I just worked remotely in my old job, but then got roped into one day a week at a bar and I got to know loads more people.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Looks like JanetS and I are newbie Geezernaires then - we are off to work a season in Les Coches for the first time aged 56 and 49.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@RobinS, My wife and I plan to do a season having come late to skiing. Probably 2 years ish- 62 and 59 by then. How did you find work? Note: we're doing it, work or not, but she's showing an interest in working when I thought she wouldn't. After all, it'll be the first winter after she retires!

CG

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Mon 14-11-16 16:36; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I did three seasons instructing when I left school many decades ago. I think it just served to convince me that I would never be one for a run of the mill, nine to five, sitting behind a desk type job and I finished up as a pilot. Although the excitement of flying did eventually die I had a wonderful time, travelled the world and can now afford to indulge in a passion for skiing that still lives. Those three seasons, I believe, set me up for what followed. Absolutely no regrets!
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Charliegolf, We just emailed a selection of companies about work. Most offered us an interview, and we really got the feeling that as more "mature" candidates we really did have plenty of choice as to who we wanted to work for - me being able to cook, and JanetS being a professional driver helped!. We decided to go with the first one we applied to, who we had been a customer of a couple of times. I am Chalet Cook, and JanetS is Host and reserve driver.

I was made redundant earlier this year, JanetS quit her job, and we can afford to work for board and pocket money, but not to do seasons without working.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Minion1980 wrote:
Dav wrote:

Nice read.

Hi Dav, I'd be interested to hear more about your experience as I'm 36 and considering a similar idea. As for the OP I'm just reading the article now sound slike an interesting premise.

No problem, just ping me a message with what you'd like to know.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
RobinS wrote:
@Charliegolf, We just emailed a selection of companies about work. Most offered us an interview, and we really got the feeling that as more "mature" candidates we really did have plenty of choice as to who we wanted to work for - me being able to cook, and JanetS being a professional driver helped!. We decided to go with the first one we applied to, who we had been a customer of a couple of times. I am Chalet Cook, and JanetS is Host and reserve driver.

I was made redundant earlier this year, JanetS quit her job, and we can afford to work for board and pocket money, but not to do seasons without working.

Thanks for that. Prior to this thread, i was interested in reducing costs by handymanning, keyholding, changeover days etc. Maybe now we'll look at the whole deal. How many guests are you going to have; and will there be more staff. I'd be happy for it to be just us 2 on the staff, but who knows.

CG
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The 'Jerrys' article later on in the website has just the right level of condescension to endear the website and blog to the skiing public.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@peedubbler, thanks, that's good advice
snow report
Nice article, we've got friends who went to Tignes in their early 20s and never came back (that's a quarter of a century ago).

There are definitely good careers to be had - although there are still a lot of poorly paid or seasonal only roles where lots of people supplement with building work etc.

Having friends there gives us an excuse to go to Tignes every year snowHead snowHead

And, I too laughed at the Jerry article - bang on, there are a lot of people go skiing with a crazy sense of entitlement.

If someone is a real prat I have been known to go in the middle of their group on large chairs and pretend to be French - it's amusing to listen to them talking about you........then pull the phone out and call a mate Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Quote:

@Weathercam, Im loving the Geezernaires term!

+1
Smile
snow report
@Charliegolf, There will be the two of us, plus a driver, as any day transfers are included. We will have six guest bedrooms - normally up to 12 guests but more can squeeze in at popular times.
ski holidays
I did 5 seasons after leaving the RAF earlier than planned (thanks, Prime Minister) but don't think many who did it alongside me ever actually did grow up!

There was a difference in crowds though. One season in France worth a chalet company had more of the 18/19 yr olds in search of a jolly, whereas the 4 seasons teaching had a much more balanced and professional air to them.
ski holidays
I am a youngish 60+ and will shortly be taking retirement from my present post, can anyone recommend any companies that employ people of my age for a winter season (I would be looking for driving or similar type work) but would definitely need my own room albeit in shared staff accommodation
ski holidays
thedrewski wrote:
One season in France worth a chalet company had more of the 18/19 yr olds in search of a jolly, whereas the 4 seasons teaching had a much more balanced and professional air to them.

Which did you prefer?
latest report
The Jerry article is just plain weird rather than standard fare about watching punters get out of their depth and yard sale or committing fashion faux pas it just reeks of seasonnaire entitlement with some disturbingly violent anecdotes. If you spray someone in a cocky way you shouldn't be surprised if someone on a hair trigger reacts badly.
ski holidays
My first season was in Zermatt at the age of 30, I went there for a 2 week holiday and stayed there for 8 years.........
snow conditions
Never really settled in the UK after that, so took early retirement last year and donned my "Geezonaire" cap in Serre Chevalier Very Happy
ski holidays
Quote:

it just reeks of seasonnaire entitlement

Quite. Sure, some slope users are ill-mannered and so, no doubt, are some seasonnaires especially those who after one season of cleaning bogs and waiting for late flights in Geneva airport know they are a "pro in an extreme sport" who despises anyone who doesn't wear their goggles right.

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Tue 15-11-16 9:09; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Yeah that Jerry article is pretty bad, whilst I sympathise with the aggressive old man story (I have a similar story of my own though I reacted rather differently) but the way it was handled was immature and the general tone of the article is extremely entitled. It's embarrassing really, what a horrible way to think and to then share this view as if it is acceptable is incredibly naive.
snow report
Well after 8 years of doing just one season a year, for the next 24 years you stay for all four, obviously! Toofy Grin wink
snow conditions
@gazza330, We are working for Mountainsun - they were searching for a "more mature" driver to work the chalet with us for this season, that along with the fact they employed us at 56/49 indicates they are not averse to older employees. Be aware though that for driving jobs involving Geneva transfers you need to be registered with the Geneva authorities, and for this you must have evidence of being a professional driver - letter from employer, CPC etc.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Mmmmmm interesting about the more mature seasonaires - think there could be a feature there wink

We know a fair few that fall into that category, though some are those that did seasons when they were younger, came back to the UK but the draw of the mountains was just too strong for them.

My daughter get's mildly depressed this time of year when her "mates" all leave to go back.

The seasonaires part of the site is written by those that it's aimed at, a younger demographic, and will almost be in a satirical anarchic tone, maybe it should come with a health warning to those who might be upset by their antics Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Quote:

a satirical anarchic tone

a satirical article about seasonnaires might be worth looking at - can they laugh at themselves?
latest report
pam w wrote:
Quote:

a satirical anarchic tone

a satirical article about seasonnaires might be worth looking at - can they laugh at themselves?

Here you go

http://www.stylealtitude.com/10-things-about-doing-a-season-2015.html
snow conditions
"Enjoy your holiday mate, I live here!' That shut him up." urgh no, you don't, you're just on a long holiday.
ski holidays
@Weathercam, I can't get the website to open on either my phone or iPad, I just get half the screen.
snow conditions
@Weathercam, that article is not even remotely satirical. It's mostly about how to become one of the cool, in crowd, who wouldn't dream of wearing anything bought in T K Maxx and who know so much more than the neophytes who drool over "Chalet Girl".

Some useful pointers (you can get to hate snow, and you can definitely have too much of it) but no, not satirical.
ski holidays
@Pamski, have sent you a pm
snow report
You hopefully have a long Skibum career then die but not this way ... This guy was legend

http://www.telluridemagazine.com/?page_id=768
snow conditions
Weathercam wrote:

The seasonaires part of the site is written by those that it's aimed at, a younger demographic, and will almost be in a satirical anarchic tone, maybe it should come with a health warning to those who might be upset by their antics Toofy Grin

Yeah - I don't buy that, it's not properly satirical or anarchic it's a couple of filler pieces per winter. Not a patch on the the former Belle de Neige which was utterly authentic, biting and very funny (although probably a lot due to a talented writer)
ski holidays
red 27 wrote:
thedrewski wrote:
One season in France worth a chalet company had more of the 18/19 yr olds in search of a jolly, whereas the 4 seasons teaching had a much more balanced and professional air to them.

Which did you prefer?

Teaching, by a country mile.

Pay is better, hours are better, attitude towards you from employers is better, attitude towards you from locals / other workers is better, options for further employment are better...

Hands down it's the better option...if you can afford the money to become an instructor in the first place.
snow report
Weathercam wrote:
When I was running a sales dept on a major newspaper and recruiting, those CV's where the applicant had done a few seasons were always of interest as I knew that people who had done a few seasons (and note the plural) were naturally on the whole more gregarious and would fit into the sales environment and do well - back then was not quite Wolf Of Wall Street, but at times not too far off.

So my daughter after a bit of pressure from me did her first season some five years ago and still stays in regular contact with the people she met over the next three or so years.

Back then she did write some good features on being a seasonaire - and she's now written a follow up feature "What happens when seasonaires grow up"

I'm naturally biased but think it's a damn good read http://www.stylealtitude.com/5-seasonaires-5-years-later.html

And as for seasonaires when they really grow up, what do they become?

Simple Geezernaires - that's what us "oldies" are referred to in Serre Toofy Grin

Interesting - I've met Mickey Fitz (featured ion your daughter's article) , and his business partner in Shredits is one of my best friends. So some people manage to make the lifestyle work for them. But I also know from them that it is a lot of hard work, for not a lot of money, much of the time. Although living out in Morzine for the season makes up for it, and those boys party pretty hard.
snow report
Minion1980 wrote:
Dav wrote:

Nice read.

I did my forst season (and only so far) at the age of 35.

I was a very lucky chap - I left my job for a competitor and was on paid gardening leave for 6 months. Having no children, I left my long-suffering girlfriend (now wife), rented a beautiful flat in the Alps, and skiied every day.

I went out an advanced skier, came back an expert, met some great people, some of whom are still friends, and had frankly one of the best times of my life. If I had no career, and were not planning a family, I would have probably found a way to go back. One day, I will.

Differences? There really aren't that many people our age out there compared to the twenty-somethings. I found my housemate on here, he's a good 9 years younger than me and remains a great friend. Frankly, I did not party anything like as much as he did, but was able to go and join him and the younger folk when I felt like it. But I revelled in having time to chill at home, read, cook and generally relax. Lady Flashman came over a lot (she loves skiing), and friends were visiting much of the time - so being lonely was never a thing. In fact, sometimes, I wanted more time on my own!

Do it. You won't regret it. If you need to work, a more mature chap can find slightly less slave-like work as a driver or cook, providing you have the life skills.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy