Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Taken the kids out of school

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I'm not sure if it is that.
I've never known as many as 25% of a class to be out - it's been 1 or 2 kids (this before the rules changed).
When I was a school governor of a inner London primary we had an issue with kids being taken out for months to visit relatives in Pakistan etc. The Head tried to get parents to go in the summer (!) but often they preferred to go in the winter when the weather was more pleasant...
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Our school's attendance target is 96.7% and while parents are informed of their children's attendance records every half term, 'special measures' for any child start when attendance drops below 90%.

In practice we had 2 children out of 150 that met this criteria this year, we are a small rural village school, though with attendance from a local town as well. Those 2 fell into the 'truancy' type category rather than too many holidays.

Womble
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
vjmehra wrote:
Quote:

I don't think it's realistic to consider the situation of each individual child and even if it were how you stop teachers making arbitrary decsions e.g. skiing good, beach bad; museum good, theme park bad.

It used to work fine though...the problem is now that because of (presumably) some parents/families/children abusing the system by repeatedly not turning up it has ruined it for everyone else.

Not sure I believe that. I believe it was more a Government agenda. Was it a rampant problem? its anecdotal that it was and so too is the impact that it has.

To me is more a push by schools to reduce absences since this is a KPI that they are judged.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

Not sure I believe that. I believe it was more a Government agenda. Was it a rampant problem? its anecdotal that it was and so too is the impact that it has.

To me is more a push by schools to reduce absences since this is a KPI that they are judged.

Tbh you are probably right in reality, I doubt it was ever that big a problem and I would also wager that those that have no real desire to be in school probably wouldn't be regardless of any government ruling!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
FrediKanoute wrote:
vjmehra wrote:
Quote:

I don't think it's realistic to consider the situation of each individual child and even if it were how you stop teachers making arbitrary decsions e.g. skiing good, beach bad; museum good, theme park bad.

It used to work fine though...the problem is now that because of (presumably) some parents/families/children abusing the system by repeatedly not turning up it has ruined it for everyone else.

Agree 100% schools skip actual learning very early on and focus entirely on exam based revision, more a memory test than an actual understanding of the subject

Our schools even try to get students around a C or D grade at A / AS Level to drop the subject, heavily based on the fact it looks bad for their results
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
intermediate wrote:
@shep,
Quote:

If all the energy and money parents spend trying to get around the rules were spent lobbying to change the school calendar the problem would go away;

Didn't government consult about a more flexible school year about a decade ago? Included shorter summer break and staggered holiday periods around the country?
As I recall, it failed mainly due to resistance to change by representatives of schools and the teaching profession. So we're still stuck with a school calendar based on kids helping gather in the harvest and festivals linked originally to winter solstice and spring equinox. Welcome to the 21st century.
Very Happy

in 21st century, parents are left with no other choice but to spend their energy to circumvent the unreasonable rules. Sad
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
[quote="abc"]
intermediate wrote:
@shep,
Quote:

If all the energy and money parents spend trying to get around the rules were spent lobbying to change the school calendar the problem would go away;

Didn't government consult about a more flexible school year about a decade ago? Included shorter summer break and staggered holiday periods around the country?
As I recall, it failed mainly due to resistance to change by representatives of schools and the teaching profession. So we're still stuck with a school calendar based on kids helping gather in the harvest and festivals linked originally to winter solstice and spring equinox. Welcome to the 21st century.
Very Happy

in 21st century, parents are left with no other choice but to spend their energy to circumvent the unreasonable rules. Sad[/
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
intermediate wrote:
@shep,
Quote:

Very Happy

in 21st century, parents are left with no other choice but to waste their energy to circumvent the unreasonable rules. Sad
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
FrediKanoute wrote:
vjmehra wrote:
Quote:

No, really? Government interference to push an agenda, marked by over-egregious target hitting? Surely ever not!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy