Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Mobility exercises

Poster: A snowHead
I just saw a nice short video showing 5 ski specific mobility exercises. Lots of people focus on strength and cardio when training but mobility and balance often are overlooked.

Have a look a
http://youtube.com/v/PeNk6IM-AbU well done Supreme Ski School for publishing such a good simple routine.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Interesting & thanks for posting.

Certainly exercise No. 4 would raise a few eyebrows in some gyms, might even get someone rushing over to administer first aid! Very Happy

Joking aside, the 4th exercise requires quite a bit of room. Will give some of them a go.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Excellent. I've been trying these and they've been very helpful rehab after my accident.
Thank you
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks @skimottaret, I have been looking for some hip mobility exercises to get my plow stronger when I'm tethering a sit-ski.

Being cheeky, do you have any more suggestions?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@RoboJ, I have started doing Yoga which is helping out my mobility ...Blush From what I hear from physios hip flexors, piriformus, calves and hamstrings really suffer when in ski boots a lot and need special attention. I can feel your pain doing tethering, I am reasonably strong but struggled at times doing sit ski tethering, certainly felt the hips burning a few times Toofy Grin

We have a series of ski fitness tests that you can try to see how your basic fitness is coming along http://www.insideoutskiing.com/uk/return.html#1

For skiers that are racing or trying to get performance out of a ski the lower back and knee are the critical areas for attention according to a sport science colleague we worked with. We had developed a very good Stability test but unfortunately the coach (who is also a physio) that ran the programme moved to Switzerland so we aren't running this currently.

My favourite book on Stretching is The Anatomy of Stretching by Brad Walker which I would recommend, great illustrations and clear explanations.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Sun 20-08-17 15:40; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
also google Fred Lepine for videos, they are all short simple and clear (and sometimes very difficult) http://eliteskiing.com/resources/#skifitness
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Or contact Jack Evans from Supreme who did the video Wink
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@skimottaret, come across any for the....errr...how should I say...... very much less flexible person?
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
For more mobility exercies search for mobilitywod or kelly starrett on youtube. He has also written and excellent book - becoming a supple leopard - https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Books/Becoming-Supple-Leopard-Kelly-Starrett/1628600837/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1501236807&sr=1-1&keywords=becoming+a+supple+leopard&tag=amz07b-21
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Side jump onto a boss ball, into squat position, jump off the other side, squat and jump back onto bosu in one movement, repeat in reps of however many you can manage.

Excellent for core, balance, quads & calves.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Frosty the Snowman, Yoga dear boy
snowHead
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Frosty the Snowman, or pilates. It's doing wonders for my hip flexors, core, IT bands, lower back, hamstrings. (15 mins a day after 30 mins on the turbo)
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Ballet lessons. It may look poofy but in reality it's seriously hardcore.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
skimottaret wrote:
@RoboJ, I have started doing Yoga which is helping but my mobility ...Blush

I can't seem to find that video in the Inside Out video channels, you'll be uploading it soon, yes? Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Tubaski, helping is the operative word so no videos anytime soon Wink I am almost despondent at how bad my flexibility has become.. I used to be fairly limber but no longer. I am seeing very slow progress which is encouraging but trashed knees are limiting a lot of the stretches the yoga teachers like to use. (childs pose is impossible for me and anything with crossed legs forget it.) I snapped my PCL in my left knee yonks ago and trashed patella tendons, meniscus tears, arthritis, etc causes all kind of problems trying to stretch my hamstrings and quads..
ski holidays
@skimottaret,
Quote:

trashed knees are limiting a lot of the stretches the yoga teachers like to use

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=132685#3091792
snow report
@skimottaret,
Quote:

I am almost despondent at how bad my flexibility has become.. I used to be fairly limber but no longer.

And me, though admittedly it's only my knees which are problematic. My hip flexors rock! wink
snow report
Cycling admittedly, but it's a decent set of exercises for the hip.
http://youtube.com/v/6nI6ddJlh68&t=7s
snow conditions
@Hurtle, I havent really had a proper go at foam rolling, got one but never use it... too lazy really. I struggle to do stretches at home as I feel the need to be warmed up prior to stretching and watching tv doesn't work really... Wink

My balance (which I thought was ok but was pants) is coming along though, lots of poses that I struggled to do all the old injuries are getting better Smile
ski holidays
I think I will have a go at these, at 52 I have to reluctantly accept that I can no longer stay fit and flexible by getting out of bed.
ski holidays
@tangowaggon, you are but a child!
ski holidays
I find that a combination of mucking out two horses (Mrs Rabbie mucks out the others) and two good doggie walks a day keeps me in a reasonable state of fitness. At least I managed six full days of skiing on my last bash without problems. But of course I am only 73 so have age and experience on my side.

It seems that some of the younger generation worry too much about these things
snow report
"Reasonable state of fitnes"...

Some of us younger generation wishes to be fit, not just reasonably fit... Wink
snow report
@skimottaret, if you feel the need to be warm before stretching you might get along with dynamic or resistance stretches rather than the traditional static stretches, and they are supposed to better for improving flexibility anyway.
ski holidays
I like these excercises for the hips. I'll try to work a couple of those into my current routine.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy