Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Alagna - how to get there

Poster: A snowHead
Does anyone know if there are shared transfer services to Alagna from one of the nearby airports. Any other advice on how to get there without spending 200euros+ on private transfers would be welcome. Thanks
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
https://www.rome2rio.com
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
If you call/contact the Alagna Tourist Office
https://www.alagna.it/en/tourist-office/
they can advise (and send you copies of) alternative public transport options. We needed to get out of Gressoney to go to Annecy in summer and they did this for us.
It will be a pfaff though and involve maybe more than one bus and more than one train.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks, both for your replies. I'd looked at rome2rio and also the tourist website but could only find lengthy indirect journeys or private taxis. I was hoping there might be the sort of shared transfer service that operate from GVA to Savois/Tarentaise resorts (i.e. you pay for a seat in a minibus and share with others going to the same or nearby resort)
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Not as far as I'm aware I'm afraid.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I think the basic flaw in the question is the assumption of "nearby airports"!

Its a small place at the end of a very long valley, and while Gressoney is a 20min lift up and 10min ski down from Alagna, it is 3 hours by road so you are not going to get the multi drop possibilies of resorts out of GVA.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Thorney, I don't think it's multi drops that make Geneva such an "interesting" ecosystem for minibuses, but the density of easily reachable resorts.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Alagna is a fairly stress free drive from Milan Malpensa airport, from memory less than 1h30 with a stop.
Only thing I would say worth considering is the gondola(also the only lift out of Village) is quite often closed due to high winds. This happened to us on our first day of a 4 day trip, gutting! Although we did manage to ski the very small and rustic Alpi De Mera down the valley that day.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thorney wrote:
I think the basic flaw in the question is the assumption of "nearby airports"!

I'm not sure I understand your point. Of course I know that the airports aren't particularly close - otherwise there would be no point in the question as taxi fares wouldn't be so much. The "nearby airports" was meant to describe those which are the ones most commonly used for access to Alagna (Malpensa, Linate, Torino, etc.). If any one of those had a transfer service then I would go via that route. I do recognise the point about multidrops, but would still have thought there might be a business opportunity for someone to provide shared transfers on Saturdays in the main season - say leaving the airport at 2pm to allow arrival in resort at a reasonable time. It seems there is no such service or under a new name would probably have heard of it.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@DCG, are you travelling alone?
Alagna has a fair few fans amongst the ranks of snowHeads.
Maybe post dates and see if there are any other snowHeads planning a similar trip? Once you a have a few to share with, a private taxi becomes a cheap transfer snowHead
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@DCG, actually, correcting myself it's not the density of resorts, I'm pretty sure it's traveller numbers. I.e. not that many.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
DCG, Here is the outfit we used last winter to get to Alagna: www.monterosaskyshuttle.it
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thanks, all for your suggestions. It looks unlikely that a shared transfer will be possible, given that my dates are fixed. So, will go for a different resort this time around.
Still intend to visit Alagna at some point and will keep a note of the monterosa sky shuttle. Cheers
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@DCG, what, in the first instance, was the Alagna attraction?
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Off piste. I skied in Gressony some years ago and made it over to the Alagna side, but the snow wasn't too good then. And it was very windy. I understand that the off piste is fairly extensive and doesn't get tracked out as quickly as in some of the more popular resorts.
latest report
@DCG, the off piste is indeed extensive, but much requires effort to reach and the snow is often "not very good" be today's unrealistic and inflated, airbrushed standards.

Alagna has done a great job of advertising itself as a free ride paradise. But don't expect champagne powder.
ski holidays
under a new name wrote:
But don't expect champagne powder.

How about Prosecco powder?
snow conditions
Not even that I'm afraid.

Cheap and good prosecco however abounds as does excellent food and craft ales these days Happy
snow conditions
under a new name wrote:
@DCG, the off piste is indeed extensive, but much requires effort to reach and the snow is often "not very good" be today's unrealistic and inflated, airbrushed standards.

Alagna has done a great job of advertising itself as a free ride paradise. But don't expect champagne powder.

Mostly driven by my mate, who has a scratch to itch, we look at this annually, but it never pans out, in the real world.

There's a reason there's not enough beds, hence the pricing.

Been this side of the 'Pink Mountain' enough to understand that it's either too much snow, or more usually skating on glass ....... shame.

AAJMO
ski holidays
@under a new name, Returning to Champoluc after a couple of years and would be interested to know where to find the craft ales as I don't remember seeing any before. +1 for wine though!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy