Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Club of Great Britain Platinum Member's Insurance?

Poster: A snowHead
Am I missing something here ..... ?
I was checking out the possibility of finally joining the Ski Club of Great Britain. A thing I have always resisted as I felt it [probably wrongly] as a bit snooty and elitist .... the same way I feel about BSAC.
Perhaps it is in the the same category as voting tory as you get older ........?
Anyway, if you go for the platinum membership at a hefty £130 a year you seem to get free multi-trip, worldwide, un-guided off-piste insurance?
This seems to end up being cheaper than buying a policy separately ... and you get the scgb benefits.
Am I correct ... or have I missed a fatal flaw?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
It's the reason I joined. One of our group had a bad accident last season and had to be helicoptered off. The scgb was excellent from start to finish. I agree they can be a bit snobbish but it's definitely, in my opinion, worth it for the insurance.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The £130 sounds good value. I am a SCGB member and usually it pays for itself with discount on gear and holidays. I have been on one freshtrack holiday and the people were fine. Likewise couple of days with a leader in Austria. Will look into the same cover as I pay similar for insurance (InsureandGO) but which includes the wife too who does not ski.... or dive! Will it cover cruises and USA?

I trained to dive in the Army and BSAC was the default. Was a member of a couple of their clubs and they were not snooty. Joined a couple of PADI clubs associated with shops but no diving ever materialised. This was all back in the 90s and have not been a member of a dive club or BSAC since though I dive yearly. Just been diving the cenotes in Mexico and I do not think the dive shop knew what BSAC was and looked at my log book with mystification. However happy to take the dollars. The cenotes were great too.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
hawkesbaynz wrote:
The £130 sounds good value. I am a SCGB member and usually it pays for itself with discount on gear and holidays. I have been on one freshtrack holiday and the people were fine. Likewise couple of days with a leader in Austria.

yeah, the snobbery thing is a myth that's always being passed around in here. Don't get me wrong, there are some snobs in the Ski Club but it isn't institutionally snobbish. And of course the most appalling snob of all, a person well known in these parts, was excluded a few years back.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
When I was looking for world wide, touring, off-piste with/without guide, heli-skiing etc, SCGB were generally up to 50% cheaper than anyone else I checked.

I've been with them for 6 years now, and saved hundreds compared to similar policies, but haven't needed to claim, so can't comment on that aspect. When you add in the online discounts, the 10-15% discounts soon add up towards the cost of the policy. So as you say, it does look too good to be true, but apparently isn't Very Happy
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I agree. I reckon I save enough money each year with them to justify my membership alone. The insurance policy is therefore an added bonus.

I think I'm correct in saying it includes cover in Europe by default, but you have to pay extra for Worldwide & US cover.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@FoofyNoo, thanks. I just had a look and can get family membership incl annual European insurance (incl off piste without a guide) for £210. Does anyone have a reason not to join (other than the general animosity between SCGB and Snowheads!)?

I had a nosey and noticed they hire transceivers. The first on the list is from that well known manufacturer, Orthodox.

(edited spelling!)

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Tue 11-07-17 15:37; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Tom Doc wrote:
@FoofyNoo, thanks. I just had a look and can get family membership incl annual European insurance (incl off piste without a guide) for £210. Does anyone have a reason not to join (other than the general animosity between SCGB and Snowheads!)?

I had a nosey and noticed they hire transcievers [sic]. The first on the list is from that well known manufacturer, Orthodox.

Doesn't sound very kosher.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I have the platinum cover as I think the annual travel insurance effectively cost me about £10 after the usual cost of membership as I am under 35. Got most of the price of membership off the cost of Swiss flights last season never mind any other discounts.

Insurance is Europe only-I found it was cheaper to get single trip cover for outside Europe rather than pay the upgrade.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I paid £142 to MPI for family, though that is France only.

Going to have a check comparison of the two insurances later.

Not sure I am getting to get much out of the discounts or elsewhere but will have another look later.

Interesting nonetheless.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Gerry wrote:
Tom Doc wrote:

I had a nosey and noticed they hire transcievers [sic]. The first on the list is from that well known manufacturer, Orthodox.

Is it an avalanche bacon, sorry beacon? Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Alastair Pink wrote:
Gerry wrote:
Tom Doc wrote:

Is it an avalanche bacon, sorry beacon? Madeye-Smiley
Some think they lead to people making rasher decisions.

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Tue 11-07-17 16:17; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Alastair Pink, You should be sorry too, that is just offal...
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The SCGB's insurance-packaged membership subscriptions began a couple of years ago. This is what David Googlesmith (relation) wrote at that time ...
[Source: http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=94856&start=4240#2755390 ]

David.Googlesmith wrote:
Another big change to the SCGB's subscription selling is the apparent dropping - after countless decades - of 'family' membership. This is the new join page ...

https://www.skiclub.co.uk/skiclub/join/default.aspx

... which omits any mention of the words "family", or "family membership" as an offer.

If one then clicks through to recruit adults and children, the price of a membership for one adult (say, aged 40) and one child is £95 for standard membership, and £189 for platinum membership (including insurance).

The subscription for two adults and five children is the same, including insurance for all.

The SCGB continues to count a 'child' aged up to 23 in a single subscription unit. Two adults aged 50, plus two children aged 23, pay £189 for the insurance-included 'platinum' subscriptions, all in.

How the SCGB is now marketing membership to those under 24, joining independently, isn't clear. The 'under 24' membership also seems to have been dropped as a 'headline' offer, but the Club has launched a 'student website' called 'Line-S' ... https://www.line-s.co.uk/ . It's not clear how Line-S generates membership interest, since there's no click-through or overt mention of the SCGB. However, the SCGB join page gives a rate of £24 for standard membership for age 23 (and below), or £64 for age 24 and above. So the deal is still there, but it isn't immediately obvious in terms of 'headline' rates.

Comparing those 2015 rates with the current rates ...

1. Standard membership for one adult aged 40 + one child: now £95 (unchanged)
2. Platinum membership for one adult aged 40 + one child: now £210 (up £21)
3. Platinum membership for two adults aged 40 + 5 children: now £210
4. Platinum membership for two adults aged 50 + 2 children aged 23: now £210
5. Membership for adult/child aged 23: platinum £75, standard £25, beginner £45 (this appears to make no sense, since the beginner membership is markedly inferior to the standard membership in terms of benefits).
6. Membership for adult aged 24: platinum £75, standard £65, beginner £45

The SCGB therefore continues to apply a rather odd definition of 'child' to members up to age 23. This all goes back to a year when the Club suddenly started to include offspring up to age 23 in family subscriptions (rather than age 18, which was the cut-off age before that). Kids have, of course, often left home to study or work when they get to 18.

The SCGB platinum membership rates for single adults quote as follows ...

Age 18-34: £75
Age 35-69: £130
Age 70-75: £190
Age 75+: apparently not available.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Davina Goldballs, many companies include dependent students in the family policies. Direct Travel did so when I had to claim for husband's accident and subsequent problems.
snow report
Does anyone know how well the SCGB insurance deals with/accepts (multiple) pre-existing medical conditions, injuries etc? Looked quickly online, just seems to say needs medical screening phone call - but that can mean anything...
snow report
Possibly a silly question, but I presume snowboarders who ski occasionally are allowed to join? £75 seems remarkably good value seeing as I am also (just) under 35
ski holidays
Shock £75 does sound like a good deal.

There should be a boarder tax Neh Neh but looks like it's included.

"Up to 24 days winter sports cover per trip, 45 days in total per year"
snow report
leggyblonde wrote:
Possibly a silly question, but I presume snowboarders who ski occasionally are allowed to join? £75 seems remarkably good value seeing as I am also (just) under 35

Yep, of course. A good number of the Leaders board only.
snow conditions
@Grizzler, I don't know about multiple medical conditions but when I got mine first time, I had recently had wizdom tooth surgery and phoned them about that and they said fine and there was no extra premium.
latest report
Grizzler wrote:
Does anyone know how well the SCGB insurance deals with/accepts (multiple) pre-existing medical conditions, injuries etc? Looked quickly online, just seems to say needs medical screening phone call - but that can mean anything...

They are not the worst...but it's very hard to say how they will treat individual cases. It often depends if you have seen a Consultant or been hospitalized within within 2 years.

The best way to find out, is give them a ring....ask for Dale (I think that was his name), as he was the most helpful with advice and info. They may charge extra, or give insurance without covering certain conditions (if you don't meet their criteria).

I have been researching this over the last while and have info on companies that specialize on pre-existing conditions....which I posted on a recent thread asking something similar, here:
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=132357&highlight=
snow report
Grizzler wrote:

You can go through the medical screening on-line -- just press the 'Quote' button

https://www.skiclubinsurance.co.uk/quote/
latest report
Thanks, above posters.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy