Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

V last minute deals

Poster: A snowHead
So do v last minute deals exist these days?

I’m thinking specific dates, nearer to Easter, but at say a day or two’s Notice. Combined with a willingness to go anywhere where there’s half decent snow (piste).

Ideally a long weekend but suspect package weeks would be where the deals are to be had.

Any experience/pointers?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
LastMinute.com seems to be naff these days.

And the respective tour operator 'last minute' pages don't seem to be that fantastic.

So, yeah, how does one get the bargains?

Maybe everyone's so wise to it these days, that there aren't any. They all get snapped up at a mere 10% discount by folk desperate not to miss out.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I used to do this, but the deals just aren't all that good anymore. Crystal Ski was my go to choice, but I haven't used them for about 4 years, since they just aren't cutting it.

My suggestion is to fly to Grenoble, transfer with Ben's Bus & hire an apartment off of somewhere like Home Away. I'm going to Serre Chevalier in a week. It's going to cost just over a grand for self- catering for my daughter and me (all in, plus food). No deals, just finding the right combination of elements for a good price.

I did notice that EasyJet was quite cheap from Gatwick to Grenoble on some Easter days, when I looked a few weeks ago.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I went with Crystal to La Tania for christmas a couple years back when cover was terrible. Booked on the Monday or Tuesday before flying and they wouldn't budge on price. Probably could've found a better deal elsewhere but TBH it wasn't too bad a price so I just went with it.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
They do still exist but I don't think they're as numerous as they once were. The exchange rate is also guff.

Looking at Crystal today, there were 2 offers from London to Mayrhofen leaving tomorrow for around £300.

There are a few HB deals to Niederau leaving on the 26th for £400. That's also pretty good. Niederau is not up to much on its own but it's a short bus to plenty of decent skiing.

The best deal I had was Gatwick to Niederau in 2013, £249pp for 7nights HB in the very nice Schneeberger.

Cheapest deal was the coach to Morzine from Victoria, 7 nights 'chalet board', £199pp in December 2012. I booked it on the Friday night, thoroughly pished at the time after work's Christmas lunch. Flat mate woke me on the Saturday to start packing, I didn't remember booking it. Skiing was excellent, chalet wine undrinkable, food horrendous - comedy week.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Rocketski have only limited choice (and if it would bother you check whether their hotels have school parties in them, they will tell you if they do) but they have recently been quoting £249 for 7 nights half board inc flights. They often have good deals, as do Silverski ( La Plagne, La Tania and one other locn) chalet company, but you have to be quick and keep watching their offers page
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
We spent Xmas 2014 in Morzine, self drive & chalet hotel, but the weather was so warm that skiing was really poor. On the Sat we were due to leave heavy snowfall was forecast so I half heartedly looked for some good cheap deals online and found several. I confirmed our booking in La Tania at around 10 am and we headed off for a second weeks skiing. And yes we got caught in the snowmegegedon and did not reach our destination till the early hours of Sunday but hey ho thats the way it goes sometimes! Thats a few years ago now but it was an extremely last minute booking and anyone with spare rooms (we needed 3) was very open to offering a good deal. We did however have the advantage of already being in the Alps, and its not (usually) hard to change channel crossing times though I did struggle a bit because the return we wanted was at peak time.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
If you get on the message/email list for your favourite TOs you’ll get early warning of their last minute deals. If that’s not a contradiction in terms!

You’ll get to know before the deals start showing on big agents’ sites (Iglu etc).
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
How about next weekend???? 27th Jan - 3rd Feb. It is luxury but it is a private chalet and we have two unexpected spaces in a lovely chalet with a lovely group of people. One couple regrettably cannot make it and so there is availability for folks who are keen to get out to the mountains, have a laugh, enjoy apres and have some jolly good food and wine.

We are now reluctantly admitting we are a group mostly in our 30s (and a few in our 40s) rather than the 20-somethings we started off at, although a few are enviably clinging on... A group of fun, relaxed and sociable professionals who work hard and like to play hard. A collection of family, friends, colleagues and partners who like a nice chalet with easy access to the slopes, ensuite rooms and great food.

We are a mix of skiers and boarders and have a range of abilities across both disciplines. A few people have only done a couple of weeks on the snow while others have been at it for years and are pretty good. Some of the group are more first lifts type of people, whilst others prefer a more leisurely start to the day (depending on how sore the head is!)

A full breakfast and afternoon tea is served with pre-dinner drinks and canapes followed by five course gourmet dinners with paired wine on six nights. Complimentary bar.

It is almost too good to believe! All for £1500pp. Let me know if of interest, you would be so welcome!

NOT INCLUDED:
- Flights (can let you know our flight details but it is only an hour from Innsbruck and plenty of flights out there)
- Transfers (can try and arrange to come with us but reasonable)
- Lift pass
- Ski or board hire (there are lockers where we keep them at the slopes)
- Tuition
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Damn. I was free 27th-3rd, but I've just booked a week in the Palace Hotel in Gstaad for the knockdown price of £20,000 instead of £21,500. Toofy Grin

What I'd really like to know is how to get to Canada for the £399 price they used to offer a few years ago, but now you're lucky to get change from two grand.

There is no inflation...
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Skiworld have the clearest and most honest last minute deals page. Just had a look and there are some deals 400 quid for a week chalet board flight out of Gatwick

In the past some TOs operated a blatant bait and switch operation.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
amyskiski wrote:
How about next weekend???? 27th Jan - 3rd Feb. It is luxury but it is a private chalet and we have two unexpected spaces in a lovely chalet with a lovely group of people. One couple regrettably cannot make it and so there is availability for folks who are keen to get out to the mountains, have a laugh, enjoy apres and have some jolly good food and wine.

We are now reluctantly admitting we are a group mostly in our 30s (and a few in our 40s) rather than the 20-somethings we started off at, although a few are enviably clinging on... A group of fun, relaxed and sociable professionals who work hard and like to play hard. A collection of family, friends, colleagues and partners who like a nice chalet with easy access to the slopes, ensuite rooms and great food.

We are a mix of skiers and boarders and have a range of abilities across both disciplines. A few people have only done a couple of weeks on the snow while others have been at it for years and are pretty good. Some of the group are more first lifts type of people, whilst others prefer a more leisurely start to the day (depending on how sore the head is!)

A full breakfast and afternoon tea is served with pre-dinner drinks and canapes followed by five course gourmet dinners with paired wine on six nights. Complimentary bar.

It is almost too good to believe! All for £1500pp. Let me know if of interest, you would be so welcome!

NOT INCLUDED:
- Flights (can let you know our flight details but it is only an hour from Innsbruck and plenty of flights out there)
- Lift pass
- Tuition

Hahaha Laughing

We're talking deals at £249 here - including the flights, transfers, pedigree chum and anti-freeze!

Joking aside, the chalet does look very nice and I hope you fill the beds.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
There are still some deals about. We booked with Crystal on 1st Jan to go to Zell Am See leaving today and saved about 30% on the hotel price. Before the kids we used to do last minute deals every year. Firstly to save money and secondly so could book where snow was good and we used to get some really good deals and was also quite nice always going somewhere different semi-unplanned. Sometimes we got a dodgy apartment but sometimes really nice ones and we didn't really care back then. There is definitely at lot less deals this time, though Crystal did have a few and this is the first time we have done it for about 15 years!

The time of year affects prices and availability. This week was always cheap and I doubt all the spaces are sold so offer deals, school holidays not cheap and everyone books early to get the resort and accommodation they want, you have to with kids.

Both our kids have gone skiing with school this morning for the first time together so we have taken the opportunity to re-visit our youth and have a last minute skiing holiday by ourselves again!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I saw same deal on Crystal for leaving last weekend & this weekend to Italy, Full board Hotel (lunch voucher for slopes) for £200 & £250
Both times I had them in my basket but could not convince other half to go!
Seem to pop up on Tuesday/Wednesday.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
ok some good ideas there thanks. Need to see how next 6 weeks pans out with work and the domestic financial controller Very Happy
snow conditions
Quote:
It is almost too good to believe! All for £1500pp. ....

NOT INCLUDED:
- Lift pass
- Tuition

I'm struggling to see what's too good to believe. That's phenomenally expensive. In fact that is almost exactly what I usually pay Feb half term for a family of 4! In fact given the list of things in your not included list, I'm genuinely confused as to what is included..... accommodation and food I guess.
snow report
TheGeneralist wrote:
Quote:
It is almost too good to believe! All for £1500pp. ....

NOT INCLUDED:
- Lift pass
- Tuition

I'm struggling to see what's too good to believe. That's phenomenally expensive. In fact that is almost exactly what I usually pay Feb half term for a family of 4! In fact given the list of things in your not included list, I'm genuinely confused as to what is included..... accommodation and food I guess.

Did you not read the bit about the canapés??? Toofy Grin
snow report
This morning Neilson were offering a chalet in Arinsal 27th Jan for a week for £299 just need a lift pass.................not bad bearing in mind the forecast for this week
snow report
TheGeneralist wrote:
[

Free booze. So if you are a raging alko who can neck £100- £150 worth of booze each night you're almost in range of a nice Italian half board hotel
snow report
We've always found some great last minute deals with alpine elements. I haven't looked this year though so it might have changed but last year we picked up a weeks chalet board for 2 people in la plagne for £650 (325pp) with bogohp lift passes leaving a week later.
ski holidays
Hey all,

So the OH and I can't make to do with one trip each year so we have booked a week off work and looking at trips between 23rd-30th March.

Usually, we have our ski trip all booked up by September time and haven't done a last minute before. I've seen what I think are quite good deals kicking around already. Should I book something now or hold fire until much closer to get a last minute booking? I feel that we could probably get a very good price leaving it to the week before but I'm the type of person who likes to plan well in advance!
snow conditions
Fly out as eu citizen
Kicked out as illegal immigrant on the 30th Toofy Grin
snow conditions
I've had good deals from the solutions room at Chalets Direct https://www.chaletsdirect.com/forum/category-view.asp
ski holidays
I have booked on Friday and flown out Sat they call it Ticket On Departure [ TOD] with Skiworld and SkiLine on several occasions. Mostly Christmas and Easter. Mid Feb I booked in advance.

SkiWorld has a honest lastminute deals page.

In the past some other companies ran blatant bait and switch last minute pages. I don't know it it is still the case.
snow conditions
Mr.Egg wrote:
Fly out as eu citizen
Kicked out as illegal immigrant on the 30th Toofy Grin

Haha. Yes. We may not be allowed back.....shame......

I've seen a few good deals kicking around already. But going to hold my nerve for another couple of weeks yet for our last minute week away.
ski holidays
Fridge03 wrote:
I've seen what I think are quite good deals kicking around already.

Depends how fussy you are about where you go/stay. Inevitably nearer the date (7-10 days before) prices will be cheaper but availability less. And the nature of the beast is that there will be a reason why discounted spaces are available. Though that reason may not matter to you. As mentioned before perhaps we passed the golden age of last minute deals. But there was a guy who booked a chalet holiday to La Plagne for £600 and a few days later the price was down to £450. The difference between two weeks before and a week being clearly evident. That was with Alpine Elements.
snow conditions
16th feb out of Scotland and Newcastle 4* chalet in st anton flight/trans/accom/slops with ethanol -------- £500.00
ski holidays
I've been following a couple of tour operators for packages flying out 23rd from the North. They don't seem to have dropped at all. I followed , as an academic exercise, deals for flying out 9th and they did not drop even on the Friday the night before. I read somewhere that tour operators can hand back rooms at the last minute without penalty so they only lose the flight seat element which probably isn't much. Chalet operators clearly lose out if there is no one there -don't know what happens if they have flight seats booked or if they can hand them back.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
There are quite a few good deals I though on Ski World for the end of March.

We aren't that fussy. We have a few ideas of what resorts we would like to see come up. Lech, Zermatt or Cervinia or somewhere in the Dolomites but won't say no to a good deal in France either. That reminds, I saw some good prices for Ski Ami yesterday as well.
ski holidays
@Fridge03, the other question is do you know what you want to or expect to pay? If you do then you just take it when it comes.
latest report
@Fridge03, I think I had a chalet deal in Zermatt come through yesterday, maybe Ski Solutions but I deleted the email, but if I am honest the resorts you list in your last post fall into my own category of 'Rarely see deals for this resort' because they are often full, haven't got the capacity to sell off, are good resorts or maybe just rich enough not to need to discount. For late and cheaper deals I consider the resorts in France with loads of accommodation - Les Arcs, La Plagne, Morzine etc, or less fashionable resorts like Sauze d'oulx, Andorra or Risoul- offer the best opportunities.
snow report
Plenty of sub-£500 deals for the week after next.

https://www.alpineanswers.co.uk/ski-chalet-deals#search=1
snow report
toyah807 wrote:
@Fridge03, I think I had a chalet deal in Zermatt come through yesterday, maybe Ski Solutions but I deleted the email, but if I am honest the resorts you list in your last post fall into my own category of 'Rarely see deals for this resort' because they are often full, haven't got the capacity to sell off, are good resorts or maybe just rich enough not to need to discount. For late and cheaper deals I consider the resorts in France with loads of accommodation - Les Arcs, La Plagne, Morzine etc, or less fashionable resorts like Sauze d'oulx, Andorra or Risoul- offer the best opportunities.

True. I understand that. We are pretty flexible on where we go. I would say the ones I listed would be our "preferred" options if we see something. But if we see a deal we like and it's suits us, we will book it regardless of the resort!

For example, we just came back from 3V (La Tania) and we try to avoid going back to places we have been to experience as much as we can. However Ski Amis have a chalet in Le Bettex for a very good £299. We are seriously considering it and it has the added plus that we didn't really ski that side of the 3V so it'll feel like a new area!
ski holidays
MHskier wrote:
So do v last minute deals exist these days?

I’m thinking specific dates, nearer to Easter, but at say a day or two’s Notice. Combined with a willingness to go anywhere where there’s half decent snow (piste).

Ideally a long weekend but suspect package weeks would be where the deals are to be had.

Any experience/pointers?

My friend and I tend to book last minute for January and 2 years ago got a week's catered accommodation with flights & transfers to Soldeu (which I really rated) with Neilson for £349 each and last year got a week's catered accommodation with flights & transfers to Val Thorens with Crystal for £369.

There were definitely some decent deals around this year but as her availability wasn't good, I ended up doing the self-organised thing on my own with two short trips flying with easyjet to Geneva, getting Alpybus & Aravis shuttles to Chamonix / La Clusaz and accommodation via AirBnb / hotels.com

There were some VERY good deals floating around towards the end of last season with Flexiski and Skiweekends

I think the former had spaces on flights pre-allocated so were just keen to fill them, but I might be wrong. The cost with the latter will very much depend on the flights available at the time of enquiry / booking.

I missed out on a couple of amazing deals in late March by not keeping my eyes open from early enough, but did still manage a quick 3-night last minute trip to Flaine with Skiweekends with no single person supplement in a catered chalet. Due to its proximity to Geneva and the ridiculously early flight out from Manchester, I got two and a half days on the slopes.

If you're looking for 2 people sharing, there's almost always a deal to be had somewhere. If you're looking on your own, at the very last minute, you'll generally need to call the various providers, but it does make ski / board carriage a bit more tricky.
latest report
I'd also suggest keeping an eye on Alpine Elements

I managed to get away with them at the start of last season with almost no single-person supplement, but they seem very proactive in their pricing at short notice.
latest report
So how are people getting on with their late deals?

I've seen a few good ones at Skiworld and Crystal but nothing that fits our time off yet (apart from one in St Anton that I saw yesterday which went in about an hour! So just missed it).
snow conditions
I've seen a few knocking around this week for between £209 (Andorra), based on 3 people sharing, and £249 (Serre Che/Risoul/Le Corbier) based on 2 sharing.

All come with flights, transfers and HB accom.

Oddly all of them aren't for at least another 2 or 3 weeks time, so not last minute deals, but certainly last minute prices.
ski holidays
@mikeycharlton, where have you seen them?
ski holidays
@Riccardo, Andorra was with Destination Ski (nice hotel in Arinsal). The 3 in France are with Rocket Ski - I believe their hotels get used by school groups quite a bit, so beware.
snow report
@mikeycharlton, Cheers
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy