Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Mountain Biking in the Tarentaise ski areas

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Great thank you. Looking forward to it; it's always difficult to gauge prior to going what's challenging enough to be fun but not off the scale for them.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@RobH2017, We have done this with the kids, but unless your 9 year old is very good. Much safer to walk very carefully down this section and even then it is very steep and not easy to walk with a bike if you are heading for the Petit Saint bernard pass. Might be easier to drive round and make a nice ride on the track down to the valley and come up on the bus. The kids really enjoyed the long route.You will need to check out the bus timetable. Also for rafting. Try contacting River Runners in Bourg. I have done the rafting in Chamonix and Bourg and it is much more fun for the kids in Bourg. They might even be to young for the main section in Chamonix. Would be good to know about there age limits for next time we go there for some rafting if you have that info.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

They might even be to young for the main section in Chamonix. Would be good to know about there age limits for next time we go there for some rafting if you have that info.

Thanks for the advice, all noted and into the plan. Yes the age limit for the main section in Chamonix is 10 but the lower section is 7 so we were looking at maybe doing that. If we could find somewhere in Bourg (will look at River Runners) then in Chamonix we'll probably do a half day canyoning with Evolution 2 which you can do as a private group from age 8; We have more time in Chamonix than we do in La Ros so I may make the most of the mountain biking in the Tarentaise and do the water sports in Cham as well as a walk up to Lac Blanc from Col Des Montets (although the Flegere is shut this summer so descent will either be to Argentiere or back to Col D M). Lots to choose from and only so much time. We also have 2 nights at Grand St Bernard and are booked in to walk the St Bernards from the kennels.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hope this isn't too far off topic but can I recommend the Portes du Soleil area for mountain biking.

Huge amount of trails and almost all of the lifts are modified to take bikes in the summer so it's very extensive.

Personally, for any kind of 'real' mountain biking - as in on a mountain or bike park - I wouldn't recommend hiring. The brakes take a real pounding and you really need to be familiar with the handling of your bike. I simply wouldn't trust a hired bike's brakes that might have become glazed or overly worn without anyone noticing.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Blackblade, I think that's scaremongering. While I always bring my ownbikes, I have ridden with plenty of hirees with no problem. The hire bikes are usually bomb-proof and well up to the task unlike many UK bikes with tyres that are too light and undersized brake rotors.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
leggyblonde wrote:
@Blackblade, I think that's scaremongering. While I always bring my ownbikes, I have ridden with plenty of hirees with no problem. The hire bikes are usually bomb-proof and well up to the task unlike many UK bikes with tyres that are too light and undersized brake rotors.

You may well be right - I don't know overall - I just know that I've been three times with large groups (approx 20 riders) with most of us taking our own bikes. In every instance the 2 or 3 hire bikes all had issues with the pads. Most common issue was that the pads were glazed from previous use. Not a biggie to fix, of course, but could catch out an unwary rider.

You're 100% right about tyres and brake rotors though ... much tougher/larger components needed for the mountains.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy