Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What's the best ski related piece of kit you've ever purchased

Poster: A snowHead
@admin, Laughing

For me, it's actually the custom insole in my ski boot. I take it out and use in hill walking boots. My knees are a lot happier as a result.

Had it not for skiing, I wouldn't have known I had a foot issue that's hurting my knees...
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Strolz ski boots. Bought them in 2007 and only having to reluctantly retire them now as were getting a bit loose late in the day.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
going from 110 boots to 130 was a huge revelation. realising how much movement was being wasted in boot flex that could have been going to the ski.

buying an intermediate light lens for my goggles when I'd previously only had pink (low level) and black (high light level) lenses. I now use it at least 60% of the time.

buying simple leather gloves for most conditions. keeping warm ones in my bag for it getting really nippy. thinner gloves make for better grip and less sweaty hands.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
+ 1 for apartment in France
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
alarm clock
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@under a new name, well I guess one changed his skiing, whereas the other just changed his perspective on skiing (by changing his snowboarding).
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
midgetbiker wrote:
@under a new name, well I guess one changed his skiing, whereas the other just changed his perspective on skiing (by changing his snowboarding).

Pretty much. The snowboard stopped me skiing and started me really having fun and riding and reading the whole mountain. The Motherships showed me I could have that same fun back on skis.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@dp, your frame in 110 boots Shocked Shocked Shocked

Jesus, must have been like skiing on playdough!! Very Happy
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@TQA, you're weird
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
under a new name wrote:
@TQA, you're weird

Nope just a big guy with happy feet who used to ski on 215s. Reduced to 203s now due to a dodgy knee..

When my 90s broke I listened to the boot gurus then wasted time and a lot of money on 4 clip boots trying to find something that gave comfort and a modicum of control without success. I am a tall fat guy with big feet and high arches. That adjustable wire that holds the heel down on Salomon rear entries was made for me.

NB I am not alone; at Alta this year I saw lots of rear entry boots still in use.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Lessons
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Prescription lenses for my Oakley Half Jackets, foot-beds and heel lifts
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
merino underpants, modern skis fat and skinny, gym membership and most of all snowhead bashes. If I had to pick one it would be the bashes as I've so many lovely people that have enriched the experience. Many thanks snowHead
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@TQA, yeah and I see lots of skinny Rossignol 203s in use around Chamonix during Paris weeks. Still doesn't make them a good idea.

Seriously, a well fitted (which is an active process) 4 clip will give so much more sensitivity and control than an engineered rear entry with effectively 3 discrete control surfaces (forefoot, ankle hold, shin).

Otherwise all the WC racers would be on them.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Even in the heyday of the SX90 only Girardelli used them. And I mean, he raced for Luxembourg, crazy fool.
snow report
Grandma Sunshine wrote:
merino underpants, modern skis fat and skinny, gym membership and most of all snowhead bashes. If I had to pick one it would be the bashes as I've so many lovely people that have enriched the experience. Many thanks snowHead
Aw Grandma - you're such a ray of Sunshine Little Angel

You've done your bit for the enrichening Cool
snow report
PaulC1984 wrote:
@dp, your frame in 110 boots Shocked Shocked Shocked

Jesus, must have been like skiing on playdough!! Very Happy

Yep, Coyoti in Wales have a lot to answer for. Got my first boots from them (110 stiffness) c/w footbeds. Colin (CEM) and my podiatrist both told me the footbeds were essentially ineffectual, and indeed skiing in 110 boots was like having boots made of wet cardboard. I tried to compensate but couldn't understand why I couldn't tighten my turns. It was because putting that weight on the ski essentially caused the boot to collapse. First time I pushed all my weight forward in my 130s, I nearly got thrown over the side because for the first time ever the skis actually followed their turning radius.

To quote CEM (looking at the footbeds)... "The bloke's even been f**kin stupid enough to write his name on the other side..."

Moral of the story... DO take advice from shops... but ask snowheads first which shops to take advice from!
ski holidays
Wife!!! Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
Hyst wrote:
Wife!!! Madeye-Smiley

You bought your wife Shocked Toofy Grin
ski holidays
It was a heavy investment at least. Toofy Grin

But my Hestra gloves where almost as good. Madeye-Smiley

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Sat 1-07-17 18:48; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Toofy Grin
ski holidays
I had never been skiing before i meet this ski girl many years ago. So Japan was open to me in skiing terms. Now you see that was quite expensive. Laughing
latest report
under a new name wrote:
@TQA, yeah and I see lots of skinny Rossignol 203s in use around Chamonix during Paris weeks. Still doesn't make them a good idea.

Seriously, a well fitted (which is an active process) 4 clip will give so much more sensitivity and control than an engineered rear entry with effectively 3 discrete control surfaces (forefoot, ankle hold, shin).
BUT THEY HURT THEY HURT A LOT

Otherwise all the WC racers would be on them.

Stephan Eberharter won 18 downhills, when skiIng for fun used a pair of Salomon rear entry boots, if they were good enough for Steff they will do me.[/i]
ski holidays
Spyder Bormino pants - first ski pants that didn't leave me with sweat running down my legs after half an hour!
snow report
Ski Mojo - bought me a few more years from my knee although it's now got to be done. Arcteryx jacket's great too - cheap gear's fine until it snows!!
snow conditions
Snow. Laughing
snow report
Chewable Nurofen...melts away the aches and pains. Cool
snow conditions
My Buff too, being its the only thing I still have from when I started.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Proper footbeds from Heierling in Davos.

Previously had bought a pair of Salomons with custom footbed from a recommended fitter in Val d'Isere, then later a pair of Surefoot boots again 'custom footbed'... again the same foot pain issues (right foot).

Both those boots and footbeds gave same pain, felt like forefoot too narrow... blowing the boots didn,t help... because that wasn't the problem.

There is a big difference between a 'custom' footbed which merely matches the shape of your foot and an orthotic one that corrects a problem - from pressure plate analysis and so on Heierling made footbeds that cured the issue immediately.

I've since got new boots and transferred those footbeds to the new boots and still fixed and fine...

If that (expensive) swiss last hail mary boot fit hadn't worked i was going to give up and join the darkside and go snowboarding...
snow report
Hyst wrote:
It was a heavy investment at least. Toofy Grin

But my Hestra gloves where almost as good. Madeye-Smiley

With a healthy dose of Lemsip, I presume Laughing
ski holidays
My chalet in Lech. Looking forward to retirement! Toofy Grin
snow report
Peter S wrote:
Telemark equipment. It made skiing both graceful and challenging again.

Same here and that was 25 seasons ago when I started to telemark.
snow report
To date, my first pair of boots. The luxury of never (hopefully) having to put my feet back into a pair of, still slightly damp, hire boots ever again! Very Happy
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy