Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Morzine - tips please?

Poster: A snowHead
Myself and two friends have managed to get a return flight £63 - Manchester to Geneva (Jet2.com) for 27/2 -3/3 and we are going to stay in Morzine.

We haven't sorted accomodation as yet, so wondering if anyone knows any good value accomodation near to lifts primarily and bars secondly - we have looked at morzine.com but the advice of someone in the know would be great and really appreciated.

BTW what is the general cost of things in resort? Food/Beer etc

Thanks for any advice

Pete
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Last time I did this I rang the tourist office in Morzine and they did the ringing round for me to find out what hotels had room. They speak good English so you should be fine. I'd get on the case because hotels will probably be busy. If you're willing to share a triple you'll get a good deal. Morzine is not a super-expensive resort, but not that rocking either - only a couple of bars worth going to: Buddah, Crepuscule and the one towards the church whose name escapes me...

I think David Murdoch is the resident Morzine expert, so maybe wait for him to come along.

Wellcome to Snowheads snowHead
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Pedro del torro, a very wise choice. michael stocking, I love being described as a resident expert - thank you - even if it's terrible flattery.

OK, you are going in the last weekend of the French school holidays. If things are the same way they used to be this makes life a little more difficult. In the past, when I've tried, local hotels have had a policy of booking Sat-Sat weeks only and you're straddling two weeks.

Start by calling the tourist office. You might find hotels that have decided any bookings they haven't got by now won't be got. Or a cancellation.

Other thoughts - try the Ridge hotel and the Rhodos hotel through www.morzinelets.com. They're owned and run by a Brit but as far as I can see (as a former Rhodos Afficianado) they've slightly increased the quality of the decor and considerably increased the price. I might be wrong... the Rhodos is well central, the Ridge much less so.

I also like the Igloo - but I think you'll run into the hols thing. Look maybe also to the hotels up near the Prodains cable car or out at Montriond. Maybe also the Musardiere. Actually just a thought, apparently the Hotel Neve frequently has availability when others don't and seems OK.

Also, try www.mountainhighs.co.uk as Rachel and Dean may have some odd spaces - or apartments. Also http://www.chaletsdirect.com/morzine/chezmichelle.htm

If you find something, let me know where and I'll try and give you the skinny on it. I'm not sure I can be of much more help I'm afraid.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks very much for the informative responses! much appreciated. I will try the links David sent me. Is it still the French school holidays Monday 27th to Friday 3rd? - hoping it won't be too busy if that's the case!!! Once we have got the accomodation sorted we can start worrying about the snow, hopefully get a couple of large dumps before we go!

Thanks again
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Pedro del torro, french holidays are listed here: http://www.education.gouv.fr/prat/calendrier/calendrier.php
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
These guys keep mailing me they have a hotel the chamois dont know where abouts it is may be a bit far out of town don't know.
www.alpineelements.co.uk
I have always had good success with the tourist office. links are available through SCGB or ifyouski.com
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I've stayed at the Sporting a few times that has three bedded rooms.

Loads of resorts within 1 hour drive of geneva tho. You'll find something somewhere.

Lucky people.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks for all your help, one of the lads has got in touch with someone who owns a chalet, £330 for the 4 nights between us. Not bad at all.

Thanks again, roll on the snow...........
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
bedfordblue, It's in Les Gets. Who are these people? they seem to have a very extensive program...

Pedro del torro, sounds reasonable - any idea where it is?
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
[quote="David Murdoch"]bedfordblue, It's in Les Gets. Who are these people? they seem to have a very extensive program...

I think I contacted them after being prompted by someone on this site they mail me nearly every week.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
bedfordblue, hmmm, no details on their site. Wonder if it's mostly subcontracted out.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
apparently it's over the road from where trailalpine operate their transfer service on the road to avoriaz?

called Chalet Benjamin, got it at mates rates so happy days
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Pedro del torro, fair enough, rings very small bells, but can't place it. Hopefully nearer the Morzine end of the road than the Avoriaz one!!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
apparently it's 10-15 mins walk from centre of Morzine and the ski bus stops right outside it every 10 mins - does this help?
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Help - need to sort out Geneva - Morzine transfer, anyone know the cheapest option? Expensive quotes upto now
snow report
Hi

Tra www.altibus.com for transfers ... failing that hire a car through www.holidaysupermarket.co.uk
ski holidays
Chri$,

Thanks prob get transfer if we can - unsure of how long we will spend on a bus! Does car hire work out cheap?
ski holidays
Pedro del torro, I normally hire a car as my preferred access is to drive round to the Ardent bubble.

Try also http://www.alp-line.com

Location wise, I guess you're about 1km up the Avoriaz road. 10-15 minute walk isn't too bad though. Your nearest bar is probably "Le Garage".
ski holidays
great help as always - cheers!!!
latest report
Pedro del torro, Just got back from Morzine/Les Gets, had a great week of sunshine and not too busy with the school holidays either. Had 25 cms of fresh yesterday and although it was a bit wet nearer the bottom, slopes up at the top are great. When you go over try and get to the Swiss side via Avoriaz, some fantastic skiing adn boarding to be had. Anyway enjoy your hols and don't go down the black wall! snowHead
ski holidays
Just got back from Morzine too - although my Avoriaz-Swiss links experience went horribly wrong. Went to circle the Ports du Soleil and managed to get up to Avoriaz from Morzine, then over to Chatel, then got the bus to the other half of Chatel, up, over and into Morgins (where I got a kebab of all things!) only to find out that the link between Switzerland and Avoriaz was closed! So, having got three-quarters of the way round my circuit I had to double back! It was snowing constantly from Wednesday onwards, and on Friday it was snowing as opposed to raining at the bottom - fantastic conditions off-piste I suspect (provided you don't cause an avalanche, warning set at 4/5 when I left).
snow report
good to hear!!! Looking at the forecast it is just gonna dust over the next few days. Hoping for sunshine whilst there - feeling very grey at the moment - should be more than enough snow there now - hoping the wet conditions at low level improve -
latest report
If there are four of you I would suggest hiring a car try www.holidayautos.co.uk for a quote, Geneva swiss side tho.
snow conditions
http://www.powdercab.com/

this seems the cheapest option for the 3 of us.... anyone know any better?
ski holidays
 brian
brian
Pedro del torro, you should definitely get car hire for 4-5 days cheaper than that, try

http://www.fleeteurope.co.uk/main.aspx?page=wwh

or

http://www.carbookers.com
snow report
been a couple of times in the last year and got accom through chaletsdirect.com - try posting on the solutions room. When I posted gots lots of replies offers. The area was great skiing both times I went March05 and Dec05. transfers seem to be easy to arrange through the chalet owners we got both transfers included in the price. geneva about 1 hour.

Like another post we did a tour on Mothers day last March, fell off a t-bar in Switz , weather closed in zero visibility and ended up in Chatel @ 6pm and had to get taxi back for 200 euros. Good story to tell but want great at the time. Cool
snow report
Pedro del torro, I would hire a car for convenience. Budget are often cheapest.
snow conditions
Pedro del torro, I am out there next week as well.

I stayed at the Chamois in Les Gets last year, reasonable hotel run by a couple of Brits. I think they can also organise to get you picked up from the airport as they have a mini bus. It is a bit out of the way for Avoriaz though and staying in Morzine should be a better bet.

I think the forecast is cold for next week.

Hope you have a great time.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks for all the advice folks, got transfer sorted with Powder Cabs - €60 per person for the two legs - not bad!

Land in Geneva all being well at 09.25 - a bloke has kindly agreed to get them and leave in the apartment for us - so would like to be on slopes by midday.

Looking at getting private lesson - i've never had a lesson since dry slope skiing as a kid - any suggestions welcome.

Weather forecast seems to be a case of no sun factor required unfortunately - oh well - at least there is plenty of snow - was in Sauze last year so there will be a major difference.
ski holidays
Pedro del torro, there is a lot of snow apparently. My mates keep telling me so.

Private lessons - British Alpine Ski School or ESF would be my suggestions.

As we're still in french vacs, you might find ESF busy but they have been making huge efforts to improve their anglophilishness (?) - hiring english speaking instructors, etc. and trying to move away from the old ESF reputation.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy