Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Rude skiers

Poster: A snowHead
SMALLZOOKEEPER, Uh oh, I'm running for cover Shocked
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
SMALLZOOKEEPER, "The Low-Down Exposed Bum Club Inc" perhaps? Toofy Grin
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Chamonix, or rather Argentierre at the bus queue back to Chamonix and we were beaten back off the bus because we observed some sort of queue. Yeah, I know, silly us, but we took our place at the head of the new queue and waited for the next bus.... when Germans rushed past us again and looked liked relegating us to the next bus I just grabbed a hat from a few of them and threw it to the back of the queue. Normally I wouldn't do that sort of thing but I was a bit pissed off, so stuff them...!!! or words to the effect... Twisted Evil
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
SMALLZOOKEEPER wrote:
snowbunny, I shoot any chap that got close to my backside. Little Angel

Well, I don't mind any chaps getting close to my backside!! wink
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
jb1970,
Quote:

Well, I don't mind any chaps getting close to my backside!!

C'mon, you need to pick and choose these days, be just a little discerning Laughing
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
SMALLZOOKEEPER, Pre op or post op Puzzled
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
boredsurfin, eh? Little Angel
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I was standing at the top of a chute with a friend (both of us boarders), and before even dropping in a group of older skiers behind us yelled "gonna leave us some snow?" We didn't respond, just droppped in and put in some nice clean lines, only to stop at the bottom and watch the skiers fumble and scrape their way down snowHead Easily the best run of the day.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Rude encounters

1.Geneva aiport is fairly rude- (see thread about best & worst airports)

2. Being a member of an ethnic minority I found Austrian resorts(Kitz and Mayerhofen) in the late 80's fairly rude too- and have never been back- any better these days- or are unreconstructed Nazis still overrepresented?? I'd love to ski in St Anton but wouldn't want to have to ut up with the looks of disgust and comments again- not something I have ever experienced on such a scale elsewhere.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
edsilva wrote:
Being a member of an ethnic minority I found Austrian resorts(Kitz and Mayerhofen) in the late 80's fairly rude too- and have never been back- any better these days- or are unreconstructed Nazis still overrepresented?? I'd love to ski in St Anton but wouldn't want to have to ut up with the looks of disgust and comments again- not something I have ever experienced on such a scale elsewhere.

That sounds awful to have to have put up with. We have just got back from Saalbach and had a great time, no signs of racism (Mr C is black). In fact we haven't had any problems, comments or anything anywhere we've been skiing. Of course our knowledge of various languages is fairly limited so people could be saying anything but certainly no overt racism. We also went to Mayrhofen a couple of years ago & no probs. I'd give Austria another try if I were you.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Good- glad to hear things are better/normal and hope you had a graet time- will get out stuff for next year as really like the lok of St Anton
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
JT, neat ploy...
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
JT, go u!!!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
David Murdoch, crazy_skier_jules, Very nearly fighting talk but we were as mob handed as they were so a few insults and surly looks and it was all over.....
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
SMALLZOOKEEPER wrote:
snowbunny, My 'BUNNY RIFLE'....................... Little Angel

Pump action is it?
snow conditions
I think a trip can be spoiled by one incident but I can't say I've ever had someone have a real go at me. I think that sometimes people forget a little courtesy goes a long way. Having said that people in the Alps don't queue like us (damn them!) so nice one JT, . Strike a blow for the courteous! Very Happy
snow report
1) Many years ago in the Londoner pub in Kitzbuhel, having spent at least 30 mins gradually getting to the bar to get a drink, go there and was bodily picked up by a large German and thrown to the side!

2) Worst incident ever: I had a small french girl of 4 years old skiing in my class in the summer (she was tiny, but a parallel skier); we were politely queuing for the T bar when a large Italian man picked her up and literally threw her to the side of the queue. the French in the queue were apalled - I was speechless (a very rare occurrence), and the guys in the queue took his skis off and threw them to the side!

3) Bizarre incident about 2 weeks ago, I and my client went through the priority channel (as we're allowed to do) at the whilte eggs first thing in the morning. We are behind a man about 40 and a girl about 17 (don't know relationship). they fail to get into an egg with 2 spaces, so I say in french "they're for 4 people, you can get in" - no response so I say the same thing in English - no respons, so my client and I get into the egg (we did have to push past these people who were blocking us). At the top the girl comes up about 2" from my nose and starts having a go at me for being rude to her(???), then up comes the man and starts berating me for being a queue jumper (with clenched fist BTW). I try top explain that this is official, and we're allowed to do it, but all he does is yell at me that he's paid the same for his liftpass as me (he should be so lucky!), and I'm a queue jumper, meanwhile she's also screaming at me and her parting shot was "just becuase you're old" - astonished french everywhere - how embarassing to be british!

4) this week, me and my class wait for a lady to go on in front of us (very clearly side slipping slowly), she gives us a filthy look and does eventually ski on, so I said (politely) "thank you would be nice" - of boy ..... she starts screaming at me to f88k off and continues to do so for about 5 mins and as she skis down and when she gets to her friend at the bottom she's still screaming and waving her arms. We were doing her a service - what's the matter with people?

Will I hold my class back again for someone? NO WAY - will I be polite - NO - why should I???? Puzzled
latest report
In Courchevel recently a group of French kids were doing some kind of race training. One of them, about 14 or 15, pushed into the queue (not using the priority queue, which would have been fine by me) and then pushed past. I tried to block him but he persisted. Short of picking him up or chinning him, which I didn't think I should do, there was nothing I could do so I let him past. The kids and I had to content ourselves with teaching him a bit of English (what's French for 'funny fellow', BTE?).

My kids, and my friends' kids, would never dream of pushing into a lift queue in a million years.
latest report
richmond wrote:
what's French for 'funny fellow', BTE?

literally "branleur", but it's not used (as per the states). A better insult is "Connard" - the phrase is "Soyez pas connard" (pronounced Swa-Yea Pa Connard - Yea as in "oyez", town crier styleeee, and no "s" on the end of "pas"), meaning "Don't be a c***" (ladies' bits)
ski holidays
I prefer the very rude "...votre mere a un visage du cheval"

The rudest people I come across are Swiss/French kids between 5 and 10 years old. Last week I had to almost fall backwards to avoid one of the little brats from skiing over my tips after jumping the queue through a fence of all places. I was so astonished I couldn't say a word!
snow report
rude English lad treating me like s**t and ignoring me after his mum was really nice and welcoming. In La Clusaz. Spoilt the day. If i coudl find him now I would slap him round a few times, then knee him where it hurts! My kinda revenge!
latest report
So, from what I've read here we often respond to rudeness with almost equal rudeness. That sounds like a good approach.

'Bon ski', as they say in an Alpine equivalent of Peckham.
snow conditions
i hate pervertes in busy lift queues and believe me you do get them especially old french men who just seem to get to close for comfort, and you have to somehow give them a push in a discrete way to get them away from you its disgusting.
ski holidays
I don't just think it's a foreigner thing on the kids front... kids of ANY nationality will attempt to get away with whatever they can. I've often seen 5-14 year olds of different nationalities trying to push into lift queues, nip under ropes or somesuch. Sometimes they get away with it and sometimes they don't. If they try it with me, I just loom menacingly and glare... (6'5" of menacing loom is quite effective, I find...)
latest report
carled, the extra 3" you have over me obviously makes all the difference then Twisted Evil
ski holidays
Sharkymark, more likely the extra 2 stone... wink
snow conditions
...I'm going to start stuffing pies now
latest report
I understand from friends in the business that the Simpsons' international division had a terrible problem translating

"Cheese-Eating Surrender Monkeys"

(one of Homer's better known phrases of love and respect for his fellow man) into French.

It has now gone into family folklore as the ONLY thing to mutter under ones breath at the latest display of arrogance and rudenes on the piste. But in English.

But if any of the Francophones on the board could give us a hint at a translation, I think it might be fun to... Laughing
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
With a little help from Google...

"Des Singes de reddition qui manger des fromages"
snow report
David Murdoch, shouldn't it be mangent???
ski holidays
JimW,
Quote:

Cheese-Eating Surrender Monkeys"

I just heard an MEP for UKIP say this on TV Shocked Laughing
snow report
Didn't know they could do 'joined up' speaking snowbunny, Confused
ski holidays
Lorraine, Maybe they are Simpsons fans Puzzled
latest report
too intellectually challenging for that lot! Little Angel
snow report
Today, a French skier guy without looking put his arms up top push whoever was to the side of him out of the way whilst he ferried his group onto the chairlift.

His hands push - nothing moves he turns round and says "excuse moi, enfants"

Now if folk have kids especially small ones I normaly use my mass as a blocker to allow folk to get through Little Angel - the fact he laid hands on me without looking, got me a tad grumpy.

I advised him to get manners before touching people, he said "f*k you" Shocked , so then I didnt make way in the way I normally would. Sad

I waited at the top of the lift and offered him a moment of my time when he came up Twisted Evil , which he declined, however I think the point was made. rolling eyes

carled, Sharkymark, being the shorter of your 2 and only 185cm - personally I find wearing Ice hockey equipment makes people think twice on piste (lift queue) - or it is the fact I have slimmed down to a mere 120 kilos, but I can dead lift 335 kilos and apparently I look like it too Smile
latest report
easiski, I will bow to your superior wisdom!
snow report
obelix67, I may be taller but I have a weight problem...I'm only 73kg Very Happy
ski holidays
Sharkymark, do people mistake you for a slalom pole ?
latest report
obelix67, would you like to come out drinking in the East End of London?

At 170cm and a weedy 62kg, I sometimes find it useful to have backup!

Then again I can ski faster than most so retribution can be effected with a quick get away.
snow report
richmond wrote:
In Courchevel recently a group of French kids were doing some kind of race training. One of them, about 14 or 15, pushed into the queue (not using the priority queue, which would have been fine by me) and then pushed past. I tried to block him but he persisted. Short of picking him up or chinning him, which I didn't think I should do, there was nothing I could do so I let him past. The kids and I had to content ourselves with teaching him a bit of English (what's French for 'funny fellow', BTE?).

My kids, and my friends' kids, would never dream of pushing into a lift queue in a million years.
French ski racing club kids are NOT entitled to use the priority queue, with or without their trainer, whatever they might say. That is the priority lane for ski schools only, not ski clubs, and is the case in all French resorts.

They do sometimes use their nimbleness and sliding skills to edge past, which is annoying. Knowing the system as I do, and knowing what they are and are not permitted to do, plus speaking the lingo, I have been known to give kids a piece of my mind, especially when actual physical contact occurs.

They are only allowed to use the priority lane on lifts shared with tourists when that lift serves a race (not a training session).

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Sun 12-02-06 18:15; edited 2 times in total
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy