Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Hiring ski equipment: warning about using Ski Set

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
To be fair on the ski manufacturers I don't think they are necessarily trying to pass off the rental version as the same ski - there is usually some special markup designation going on like a "Speedzone X" or changing the number slightly. Not enough to cause an average rental customer to think they aren't getting a real deal ski but enough so someone looking to demo knows not to bother.

Mind you I question whether anyone who rents really cares what they get. From my scouting of rental shops even in a place like St Anton which has a pretty good selection ( at eye watering price) my requests for a powder ski got me some laughable suggestions. Fortunately my luggage turned up around midnight.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
if punters self certify who knows how many punters would be asking for refunds on ski hire and lift passes because they're a bit knackered after a few days or conditions are crap.

But why should it matter what the reason is for returning them early? The point is you've given them back, so they can be hired out to someone else.

The hire car example is different. If you've had the vehicle in your possession, it can't be used by anyone else, regardless of whether you've driven it or not.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
HoneyBunny wrote:
.....But why should it matter what the reason is for returning them early? The point is you've given them back, so they can be hired out to someone else.....

In reality they can't really be hired out to someone else as the vast majority of skiers are renting for a full week so skis being returned mid week will sit is the rack until the new customers arrive in resort the following weekend.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
HoneyBunny wrote:

But why should it matter what the reason is for returning them early? The point is you've given them back, so they can be hired out to someone else.

The hire car example is different. If you've had the vehicle in your possession, it can't be used by anyone else, regardless of whether you've driven it or not.

Because the model is built around a 6 day rental Saturday to Friday night. If a punter returns the skis on Monday they are likely dead stock until the following Saturday. It's exactly the same with rental cars if you take advantage of a low prepaid rate you are unlikely to get a refund for returning the car early.

I'm not saying ski rental isn't a bit of a rigged market against the customer but I do understand how restricting ability of customers to ask for a refund on a whim helps to keep prices for all competitive.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Not convinced about the whole week thing. I've spent many a week switching and swapping...and no complaints from the shop...

The Ts and Cs were published, caveat emptor.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
A good shop, particularly with a demo fleet, will of course allow free swaps. But they'll only let you swap for what's on the rack.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
under a new name wrote:
Not convinced about the whole week thing. I've spent many a week switching and swapping...and no complaints from the shop...

The Ts and Cs were published, caveat emptor.

Exactly, I've skied with loads of people who swapped their skis all the time - and not everyone skis for a week. There are loads of reasons someone might hire just for a couple of days.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Swapping isn't the same as giving a refund. If you have stock in the racks allowing a free swap is just good customer service with very marginal cost. Giving a refund is directly reducing your bottom line.

Sure if customers are prepared to pay a premium for a fully refundable rental let them have it but like airfares and train tickets etc most punters I suspect prefer the cheaper option and risk.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Dave of the Marmottes, yeah, that for sure.

I think the root of the problem is that the shop erred insaying it would be fine, and it wasn't. Whether or not SkiSet is a poor supplier (or not) is moot in this discussion.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
under a new name wrote:

I think the root of the problem is that the shop erred in saying it would be fine, and it wasn't. Whether or not SkiSet is a poor supplier (or not) is moot in this discussion.

I would have said the opposite. If it had been a direct booking and the shop had said "fine for a refund", then they would have got a refund. The direct root of the problem is that the the booking was made with a third party.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Gämsbock, at a discounted price.

Often, you get what you pay for...
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy