Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ortovox Rucksack to give away!

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,

I run(!) a small charity called Runners against Rubbish. Very briefly, we try to stop runners dropping rubbish on the hills, and try to promote people picking up bits of rubbish they see out on the hills / fells / parks / roads... and even Pistes!

We're currently running a series of competitions on Twitter, and we've been given some great prizes to give away. One of which is an Ortovox Powder Rider 16 rucksack from Ski Club GB (photos on our Twitter @Runnersvrubbish). As you will know, this is a quality piece of kit, so I want to give it away to someone who will use it as it deserves. However, I've not had many entries from skiers. So I'm here to ask if anyone would like to enter the competition and potentially win the rucksack. We're not talking 1000s of entries so you really do stand a decent chance of winning if you enter.

The prize draw will be today, or tomorrow if absolutely necessary, but if you are interested please do enter ASAP.

To enter, firstly you don't need to be a runner! All you need to do is...

1. Pick up a piece of rubbish
2. Put it in the bin and take a photo as you do so
3. Go over to Twitter and tweet us (@Runnersvrubbish)
4. If you can also use the hashtag #BeABinner, that would be helpful!

I hope that makes sense and some of you might take part. Please feel free to spread the word as widely as you wish!

All the best,
Stu[/img]
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
If I picked up the all the litter I see on the way home from work it would triple the cycle commute but I totally agree with sentiment of what you are trying to do. And as these are such great rucksacks I'll try and give it a whirl today!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Good for you @Shelf. I regularly stop to pick up litter from the paths near me on my way home, and find fellow runners/cyclists (especially in races) who drop the stuff annoying, so I'm glad you've taken the initiative to highlight people doing something positive about it.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Cheers guys. I agree picking it all up would sometimes take hours, but every little helps and picking up something or a few bits is a start! Hopefully other nice people see you and realise they could do it too Smile There were a couple of entries in the last few hours so perhaps one of them was you Layne!

I had a gap in work so have now made the draw (it'll be up on Twitter soon), but I've got another ski pack (a Dakine one) to give away in a few weeks so keep looking if you're interested.

Thanks.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Shelf, will pass it on tomorrow at work for retweeting, hope will aid visibility Smile
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I live on a route regularly used by big cycle races and, understandably, we get cyclists year round trying it out. There is a real problem with gel packets being thrown in the hedgerows as the hobby cyclists don't have support teams cleaning up the route afterwards! I love cycling, but the rubbish is becoming a real issue.

We pick them up all the time, but they can be lethal to wildlife and livestock.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@lynnecha, this is a big annoyance of mine (as a cyclist!). If the cyclist (or runner) is able to carry the gel to the point they need it, then they have the room to be able to carry the rubbish. I raced and always put the gel back in my pocket - yes the pocket might have been stickier, but at least there's no rubbish left behind.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
hammerite wrote:
@lynnecha, this is a big annoyance of mine (as a cyclist!). If the cyclist (or runner) is able to carry the gel to the point they need it, then they have the room to be able to carry the rubbish. I raced and always put the gel back in my pocket - yes the pocket might have been stickier, but at least there's no rubbish left behind.

And indeed this should apply to all situations IMO. Requires a complete culture shift. I'll get on it.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@lynnecha, +1

I'm a keen cyclist and ride sportifs, told a random guy off at the weekend for it, he wasn't happy I'd pulled him up but I said he should go an pick it up - he did and I think was embarrassed. I also live off a road (near you btw) in Nidderdale AONB where we get a lot of sportif traffic and the number of Gel wrappers I pick up is crazy....... along with McDonalds, Subway wrappers, KFC, cig packets, lucozade bottles, beer cans and other assorted chav food-stuffs is disgusting. I was tempted to say they wouldn't do it at home, but they probably would...... rolling eyes
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Layne wrote:
hammerite wrote:

And indeed this should apply to all situations IMO. Requires a complete culture shift. I'll get on it.

Yep. I watch a lot of rallying which means standing out in forests for hours, the number of people that drop litter (particularly drinks cans) really winds me up. In particular because it's difficult to find landowners that are happy to allow rallying on their land (usually the Forestry Commission), so by leaving rubbish behind these people are jeopardising the future of the sport. I usually go for the "You forgot this" move when they decide to leave. A bit condescending and 'holier than thou', but if they didn't act like c***s then I wouldn't feel the need to do.

Same happens on piste, particularly with cigarettes.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Last time I went up Blencathra, by the time I got down I had a carrier bag full of litter in my backpack. Lot's of those blooming gel wrappers, cans and bottles.

People who drop litter are the worst morons.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
SnoodlesMcFlude wrote:

Same happens on piste, particularly with cigarettes.

Litter in the snow is a bit worse than most places, the rubbish spends half of the year frozen so doesn't begin to biodegrade.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy