Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Euro ski road trip - advice needed.

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
@admin, That new blue run that's FUBARED the drop into Orelle frinstance. Pretty much the definition of traverse road then flat valley piste.
Yep - but don't have to go down it.
Use the red / Blue from the top of Grand Fond or the Black off the Back of Cime De Caron.

The benefit of the piste you mention is that it keeps the nervous-nellies off the 'proper' runs into Orelle Toofy Grin

This is what I mean: the 3V is so integrated that even when there is a flat piste, there's usually at least one, more fun, alternative.

Anyway, I wouldn't entirely agree that it FUBARED that drop as U can turn right off it early, get the best out of the hill and actually benefit from the piste to get you back through the flat bit.

To me, the main negative impact of that development wasn't that piste so much as how the Funi-Thorens lift opened up the relatively unspoilt area between it and the Col to so many more people.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Oh the slope is a lot more trafficked now people have the security blanket of knowing there is a piste there. Where it used to be a legit case of I hope this line goes beyond those rocks.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
If you re going to do a French mega resort the three valleys is the largest. Valdisere offers a huge area and more advanced skiing. paradadiski is a fair bit behind those two and PDS not really in the same league although does offer Swiss skiing.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Any discernible difference between snowfall at one end of the alps to the other? If we started in Aosta/Cervinia/La Thuille in early January and finished in Austria in late January would it hamper our chance of skiing greatly? I know the Austrian hills have good snowmaking - what about those in the Aosta valley?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
sbooker wrote:
Any discernible difference between snowfall at one end of the alps to the other? If we started in Aosta/Cervinia/La Thuille in early January and finished in Austria in late January would it hamper our chance of skiing greatly? I know the Austrian hills have good snowmaking - what about those in the Aosta valley?

Yes, north-west Austria and east Switzerland generally get more snow than the rest of the Alps (which isn't to say they are as snow sure as some of the higher altitude French resorts). Dolomites (ok not technically the Alps) are generally the driest.

But this can vary massively season-to-season.

https://www.weathertoski.co.uk/top-10s/top-10-snowiest-ski-resorts-europe/

January SHOULD be good everywhere. Though the last three seasons didn't really get going until the first week of Jan, that isn't really normal IME (for Austria, anyway).
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
You never really know what you re going to get and when in the Alps.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
So I've been researching (valuable info on Snowheads - thanks) and I love the sound of skiing the Dolomites with all the opportunities to navigate circuits through picturesque towns. Is there any other region where this kind of skiing is possible?
Also I don't want to ruin the Dolomites by going in a low snow time - it would be disappointing if it were green and brown instead of white. Would leaving booking to the last minute (mid January) be possible? That way we could drive further north and ski over the Brenner pass if it's a bad year.

Also which town would be most suitable to ski the Dolomites if we want to do the Sella Ronda, Marmolada, Hidden Valley, the Sasslong thing in Selva and maybe a day in one off the offshoot towns like Cortina/Kronplatz?
I'm thinking Corvara or Colcofsco?

Thanks again.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Corvara would make sense, I like Arraba because of its easy access to the Marmolada as well as being right on the Sella for both directions but it would be some extra road miles.

I would not be too concerned about snow. They have a lot of snow making and are the best in Europe at managing the pistes with limited snow. It helps that the pistes are like golf fairways NO ROCKS.

I was disappointed when I skied Cortina the layout of the runs is not good and the areas do not connect well. I would do the Marmolada instead making sure to visit the war museum in the 2nd cable car terminus or possibly hidden valley/
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Is last minute booking in mid January risky or would we likely be able to find somewhere? Thinking Dolomites or if the snow is no good there maybe Arlberg or Zillertal areas.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
sbooker wrote:
Is last minute booking in mid January risky or would we likely be able to find somewhere? Thinking Dolomites or if the snow is no good there maybe Arlberg or Zillertal areas.

Pretty much the quietest time of the season.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@sbooker, The long term Bar Manager of the New Sheridan Hotel in Telluride is an Ozzy.. sure he will make you welcome & there are plenty of other long term Ozzys workomg & living in the area.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
sbooker wrote:

In Italy in the Dolomites the tourist office for the ski resorts ated as a clearing house for last minute accommodation. In some cases Arabba and Corvara for sure they had sign boards showing a map of the resort accommodation and red green lights telling you who had availability.

I don't know about Zillertal or Arlberg.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
sbooker, my family and I have skied the Sella Ronda many times so I hope I can help. This year we're plumping for Corvara - great access to the circuit and a big enough place to keep everyone happy. Lovely setting in a bowl too. Selva's ok but a bit strung out, if you stay there choose somewhere close to lifts (a warm up walk is great, valuable ski time on buses not so great!)

Re. other circuits in Europe: tourist boards love to claim they have 'circuits' but they often involve bus rides as links. The closest thing I've found to the Sella Ronda (keeping skis on in the main) is the PDS but it's smaller and lower - should be ok in Jan though. The kids might love the novelty of skiing from France into Switzerland and back again, and the villages are more 'chocolate box Alpine' compared to high altitude purpose built resorts. Conveniently close to Geneva too.

Other great mileage skiing to consider would be Monterosa in Italy (relatively quiet pistes) and in France I love Paradiski for sheer variety - tree skiing and high stuff too. It may be all in a line but the view's different on the way back! For intermediates I'd go for this over the Espace Killy where icy reds in Jan will feel like blacks. As ever though, it's all down to the snow. If you have the flexibility to go where it's best you're onto a winner. + 1 for doing the VB while you're here, it's like nothing else. You're right: planning is half the fun! x
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy