Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Carver/piste ski

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Yet another Which Ski question!

I'm off to Sauze for two weeks in January and have decided to get another pair of skis to add to my already existing collection of one!

I'm an honest advanced/expert and I gather that Sauze has a lot of cruising reds to offer so I'm after a pair of carvers with which to have some fun. GS plus short turns etc.

I'm a fit (mountain biking helps) 58 year old. Started when I was eight and did three seasons teaching before becoming a two weeks a season holiday maker. I then stopped skiing for twenty years but got right back into it three years ago.

So I'm nothing like as fast/agressive/stupid as I used to be but I can still put up a reasonable/wise fight. I've already got a pair of Sin7's which I love. Compared to the old 204cm gs Volkl I used to have they are a dream, especially in powder!

But I'm also looking for something with a bit more of an edge (probably not the correct modern parlance, for which I apologise) with which to liven up those cruisy reds.

I'm 73kg and 175 cm and my Sin7's are 180s which feels pretty comfortable. I would imagine that, for a pure piste ski I'll be looking more around 170cm. No doubt, the wisdom of Snowheads will let me know.

Anyone's input and suggestions will be welcomed with open arms. Oddly, even after all those years, I have a yearning for another pair of Volkl but please don't let me cloud your judgement.

Any colour will do! 😀
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Dynastar Speed Zone 12 Ti (best choice)

or Volkl Code Speedwall S (or L) UVO (if looking for Volkl)

or one of the Head iSuperhapes (Speed/Magnum/Rally), which are also good.

Size wise...probably 175ish
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Old Fartbag, That's interesting! I tried a pair of I Supershapes and found them a bit stiff/unresponsive. Maybe that says more about me than the ski.

Meanwhile I've been looking at the UVO but was drawn more towards the L84 (I think that's what it was called anyway). Maybe it's the old school GS in me.
Either way the S UVO seems more readily available. And I would imagine 170 should be the sensible option.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
esaw1 wrote:
@Old Fartbag, That's interesting! I tried a pair of I Supershapes and found them a bit stiff/unresponsive. Maybe that says more about me than the ski.

Meanwhile I've been looking at the UVO but was drawn more towards the L84 (I think that's what it was called anyway). Maybe it's the old school GS in me.
Either way the S UVO seems more readily available. And I would imagine 170 should be the sensible option.

I'm "Old School" and had Volkl Renntigers and VP19 SLXs in the past.....hired some of last years Head Magnums in a 170 (I'm 64kg and 179 cm) and loved them. They are changed for this year, so can't comment on that. I found them versatile re turn shape and easy to ski.

Have you by any chance, had lessons on how to adapt your technique to modern carving skis?
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
NO. I had an hours private lesson but it all seemed to be about washing off speed. I really did feel that I was missing a trick.

Wide underfoot and rockers is great but I'm still waiting for someone to explain how to transition from a relatively long ski that is almost a plank to a relatively short ski that has a waist the likes of which I used to dream of.

Maybe I'm worrying too much.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Having been through the whole "adapting thing", I can tell you that (imo) the most important thing you can do, is get some lessons (preferably from a BASI instructor) on some carving skis.

Things have changed for the better....but it is different. You can ski "old school" on modern kit, but it is making life harder than it needs to be.

As a good skier, it won't take too long, but you do need somebody competent steering you through the changes.....there is much less upper body movement / foot steering / up unweighting / skidding....and a more carving orientated technique, where turn shape dictates your speed. Skiing is now more two-footed, with the uphill ski mirroring the d/hill one.

To get a straight ski to carve, you had to be going very fast, with all your weight on the d/hill ski and have great technique....now a roll of the knees is enough to carve slowly, on a shallow piste.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
"with the uphill ski mirroring the d/hill one"

.Ah. There I think lies my problem. I always almost cherished the feeling of lifting the inside ski and using my outside ski.

BASI you suggest. I used to have one of those but it's long since lapsed. Would AMSI not do or is that a thing of the past?

Either way, a carving lesson sounds like a lot of sense.

Almost forgot.

Which skis? Though you've already answered that and I'm definitely starting to respect your opinions.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I recommend BASI, as it's the most "sensible", easy to understand, practical approach, that I've come across. If you were going to Val D'Isere, I could give you the names of some outstanding instructors...but the folks on here can usually come up with names, no matter where you go...like Sauze.

I would hire some Carvers, maybe trying out some different models, have your lessons and then make your decisions after you have gained an idea what you are looking for.

Modern carvers are very powerful...especially advanced ones, like I've listed....and take a bit of getting used to, especially if putting a bit of power through them. To start with, it's easy to get left behind and find yourself in the back seat....especially when pushing on.

It also becomes increasingly important that you are properly aligned on your skis, so you can change both edges at the same time and to the same angle.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Old Fartbag wrote:
esaw1 wrote:

I'm "Old School" and had Volkl Renntigers and VP19 SLXs in the past.....hired some of last years Head Magnums in a 170 (I'm 64kg and 179 cm) and loved them. They are changed for this year, so can't comment on that. I found them versatile re turn shape and easy to ski.

Have you by any chance, had lessons on how to adapt your technique to modern carving skis?

64kg and 179cm! Tha needs a few pies in y' lad!
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I find that the difference between old school scraped turns compared to carved turns is rather like comparing a speedway bike to a road race bike.
Or, with scraped turns you adjust the amount of edge and side slide to balance your body.
With carved turns, you set the ski on quite a rigid path, like being on rails and adjust your balance to the line that the ski is taking. On gentle slopes, as you tune yourself into the ski, you can simply lean forward with your shin giving constant, gentle pressure in the boot and simply rock your knees from side to side and the skis will carve the turns but remember to follow the ski with your balance rather than try to make the ski follow your balance. I still have Dell boy style falls when I misjudge the lie of the piste and the skis go a slightly different direction to my body Embarassed
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
+1 Dynastar Speedzone 12. Great ski.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
tangowaggon wrote:

64kg and 179cm! Tha needs a few pies in y' lad!

Ah, I am using Pi.....which only gives me 3.14285714286....I feel a trip to Cornwall may be the answer!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Old Fartbag wrote:

Ah, I am using Pi.....which only gives me 3.14285714286....

3.14159265..... last time that I looked.
Is that old style ski Pi, rather than the newer carving ski Pi? (Explains why they handle differently, obviously) wink
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Grizzler wrote:
Old Fartbag wrote:

Ah, I am using Pi.....which only gives me 3.14285714286....

3.14159265..... last time that I looked.
Is that old style ski Pi, rather than the newer carving ski Pi? (Explains why they handle differently, obviously) wink

Now that is where I was going wrong!.....it was Google Pi, so not fattening enough.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy