Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Bindings mounted offcentre on my Gotamas?

Poster: A snowHead
I treated myself to a pair of Gotamas last week and had them fitted with a pair of Rossi Scratch 100 turntable bindings.
They looked fine, but after reading on the net about people getting their skis with the bindings mounted offcentre to one side I got curious.
Upon looking closely they did indeed look offcentre. I thought it may be the light so got a tape measure and indeed both skis are the same, being 3mm more of a gap one side than the other.
If any of you guys and ladies know whether this is acceptable or not, what may have caused this, and whether this will affect the performance of the skis would be very grateful for any feedback.

Thanks,

Chris
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
rockyrobin, having a good time then?

I'm interested in the answers you get for the same reason as you.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
marc gledhill, Hello mate. I have had a great time but sadly have not been skiing much the last 4 weeks! Sad
I needed to take 2 weeks break waiting for shin splints to heal, then had a week off with the flu, then got bronchitis from all the runny nose settling on my chest and getting infected. In the past month have probably only done 3 or 4 days skiing.
Conditions were great beginning of the season skiing bottomless powder but now things are getting a bit grim compared to what we had so may as well get my illness for the season out of the way now before we get a big dump. We need more snow!

You sound like you've been buying skis too recently? Have you had your bindings missmounted too?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
rockyrobin, Sorry to hear you aren't getting out much. Still, plenty of season left though snowHead

Yep Jon noticed it on a pair of 8800 I got. Not as bad as yours, though still irritating Evil or Very Mad
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I can undertstand them doing it if they make a definate left and right ski... otherwise I would want then dead centred
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Doesn't sound like human error as it would be surprising that the skis would both be exactly 3mil off. I think the mounting plate that was used must be off centre rather than the technician doing anything wrong
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Viceversa, Have a feeling that you may? have touched on the answer.Recently bought my youngest some skis,and noticed that the mounting plate used was particular to the binding,not the ski.Asked the ski tech about this,and he said thats always the case?Have just checked her skis,one binding is dead center and the other is about 1mm out.Easy to see how a bigger margin could occur on a wider ski.Looks like its down to the attention to detail employed by the ski tech?SZK should have a view on this wink
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
there was a fad for this on the old super-fat skis like to atomic powder plus. it new seems to be a bit of a nono. i guess this is mainly because it creates a definite left and right ski. what with modern technique using the edges of both skis, it seems a bit strange to make it easier to find an edge on one side than the other.

so... i think the tech got his binding jig off centre which would account for the consistent difference. you didn't ask for them to be done like this so i'd take them back and ask them to sort it

nice to see another fat ski convert wink
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hello again, took the skis in today and had a chat with the guy who mounted them. It appears that Look/Rossi don't feel the need to produce a drilling jig wide enough for fat skis as they deem there to be not enough demand! The only jig that was capable of doing the 105mm waist was the Salomon jig. The guy was very apollogetic about it.
So i've asked them to whip off the Rossi bindings and pop on pair of Salomon 912Ti instead to guarantee dead centre.
Fingers crossed when I pick them up tomorrow will be a happy bunny again Smile

Arno, I wouldn't say I was a convert, just I needed a pair of powder skis as nothing else in my quiver is any good in bottomless powder. I doubt I would like to ski them with the conditions we have over here at the moment Sad
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
rockyrobin. It sounds like a serious blunder, and you sound like a very nice guy to accept re-drilling of a ski. You were sold a 'system' which the shop effectively manufactures by mounting the bindings, so technically the shop supplied you with something that wasn't of merchantable quality (under UK consumer law, anyway).

You'd be entitled to fresh skis, on that basis, though re-drilling shouldn't affect performance.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
David Goldsmith, I guess I just felt sorry for the guy as they must get bored stiff slaving away in their little bunker mounting skis etc. I'll be happy as long I get them back ok, and like you say the filled holes won't affect me so i'll let it slide.
I think next time I buy skis I may have to learn how to mount my own bindings.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
rockyrobin,

You-re too nice - I'd have demanded new skis!
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
rockyrobin, Sorry to hear you're having a rough time Chris mate. Skiied with Jenny 2 weeks ago and had a great day. Is the responsible ski shop at the top, middle or bottom of the route du Medran?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Arno, modern technique both edges of ski? not that old chestnut again wink

beanie1, leaving a nice redrilled pair to be bought cheap by some deserving ski bum!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
beanie1, I know (sigh), I guess with me still feeling ill with bronchitis and feeling sorry for myself not being able to ski I haven't got any fight in me at the moment.

Steve Sparks, Hello mate. Yeah, Jenny said she had done some sliding with you. Looks like you got in there before things got really dire. I went into Col de Moosh the other day with a friend of mine which was fun. Now I'm told its almost impossible to get in safely and the rocks are rearing their ugly heads! I do hope we get some snow soon or I may be forced to go looking for an alternative pastime till the next dump arrives.
The responsible ski shop is below Place Centrale.
snow report
rockyrobin,

Currently looks very snowy on the webcams? Is that a mirage?
latest report
beanie1, Those cameras are probably strategically placed to show it at its best. Looking up the mountain from my studio the areas of brown snow do appear to be growing. I know my friend feels that if it gets much worse he will find it hard to raise the enthusiasm to go up there each day.
After skiing powder early season, skiing the hardpack piste can get boring real quick and the moguls are getting very scraped plus the itineries are deteriorating Sad
I did notice that Savoleyres was closed today. The signs said due to wind? Can't say I noticed any wind. Must be the lack of snow on that side I reckon. That side of the resort looks just like when we came the first week of the season when it was also closed.
snow report
Hey, rockyrobin, more snow there than there is here and the lift system is certainly better.
It will come and when it does it will be epic.

In the meantime, try a bit of touring will probably finally defug your chest. Stay in cab mt fort one night and walk up at dawn to the top of chassoure. Go up the valley to the dam at mauvoisin, skin round and stay in the cab de chanrion.

And all the time remember how privileged you are to be in one of the most beautiful places on earth.... Very Happy
ski holidays
Steve Sparks, Your right, its easy to get complacent and not see the wood for the trees Wink
All the people who have done seasons here before keeping saying that late season we'll have more snow than we know what to do with. Guess I need to be patient.
The guy who owns the chalet i'm in has stayed at the cab mt fort so i'll ask him about staying there next time I bump into him and will see if i can put together an excursion touring.
Your right, we are privileged. It's going to be real hard for me when end of April comes round Sad
snow report
I think Rocky has got this spot on. Whats the point in going in and causing a fuss when the tech has obviously done the best he can with the tools available. It doesn't even sound like the shops fault. I think this is the manufacturers problem which they have passed on to the shops by not making a jig big enough. If the guy has drilled the skis by eye and only got 3mil off i think thats pretty incredible. Id like to see any of the snowheads so called 'experts' try and drill holes into a ski by eye and get that close. I think you got a good ski tech there stick with him.
snow conditions
Viceversa, Shocked The binding companies make the jigs, not the ski manufacturers. If I can get a 130mm ski mounted, you can be sure you can get a standard 105mm ski moutned here in Verbier. Every second pair of skis is a pair of gots. The ski tech needs shooting.

rockyrobin, be concerened. Look make a very wide jig. The person who mounted your ski either a) knows NOTHING about skis or b) lied to you. You can't use a Salomon jig to mount Look bindings either. Which shop drilled your skis? More importantly who?

Even free hand you use a template, so a gap of 3mm means that the dude must have been drunk.

Have you had the skis re-drilled already. If no PM me NOW. If yes, Cool

I know it no longer matters but at 3mm I would have had them remounted, 2mm and I doubt you would have been able to tell.

Now we just need some snow... Twisted Evil
ski holidays
rockyrobin. Your snow contacts could be correct.

I skied Verbier when I was around 16 (that would be around 1969) in April. The snow - in the village - was lying so deep that there were trenches around every chalet to let the light into the windows. That was when we arrived.

It then snowed for two weeks solid.

On the way back to Geneva, on the road on the French side of the lake, a massive avalanche had come down from the high slopes, blocking the road.

I've never seen snow like that again in my life. Must check the records sometime and get it all documented.
latest report
parlor, Ditto. Tchhh. I does seem the guy took a little responability and we all make mistakes. Robin's call. Twee Twee. Little Angel
snow report
Hi guys,

Just picked the skis up. As they are mounted now with the Sally bindings my boot midsole mark is about 1.5cm behind the "Freeride" centre mark.
I've been used to skiing germanic skis with the bindings set well back on the skis in comparison to the likes of French skis like my B2's.
I have found this to make the skis more stable at speed, but losing a little manouverability when being lazy at low speed.
I'm just wondering what the goat skis like in this kind of config? Should I be concerned?
If we get a few more tipples of snow i'll try my best to show them the hardpack next week and see how they behave if i'm well enough and will entertain you guys by letting you know how I get on Laughing

parlor, You've got me all worried now Sad Fraid with the dirty deed having been done I just hope it will be Cool
Looking up the Attelas etc from home this afternoon the brown does seem to be subsiding. Just next week being half term I hate to think what its going to get like up there with only flurries to freshen things up Sad

David Goldsmith, Yeah, fingers crossed they know their stuff. I have a friend who came out here last year in April and he reckons the snow was a LOT better than it is now so guess just patience required.
If we could have conditions like you describe I would be one happy bunny/robin Cool

SMALLZOOKEEPER, If I take the skis out for a slide and find them too much like hard work due to the bindings being behind the centre mark do you reckon I will still have the right to demand them to put things right even though i've skied them?
snow conditions
rockyrobin, -1cm from the freeride postion will be sweet for a powder set up. I've skied the goats at freestyle and freeride, the tail is IMO a little on the soft side but it's a great ski. No more need to worry. Very Happy
snow report
parlor, Cheers for the reassurance mate Smile
I'll have a go at doing some braquage with them and see if they perform ok. I was just worried that they would be all tip gripping with me being so far back on the ski and I would end up trying to kiss the tips to make them behave Laughing
snow conditions
rockyrobin, I had my Explosives remounted this winter, they're now around -2 or 3, initially it was weird skiing them with such huge tips but now I'm used to it I don't notice too much. That, and I can't sink the tips in soft snow, awesome.
snow conditions
parlor, Sounds good Smile I have my B2's mounted on the line and if I had them done again I would definately have the bindings popped back a bit as they feel so squirrely compared to my other skis.
It will be nice to ski in a more aggresive forward stance than having to lean back before my tips dive.
Looking on the weather forecast I have a high hope we may be in for a big dump sometime next week. Guess I will find out soon enough if the weather plays ball Smile Usually snowforec@stdotcom downgrades just before we get the fluff, though this time they seem to be ramping up for a change. I think I will cry if they downgrade again to 1cm a day at the last minute.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy