Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The All New 17/18 Weather Outlook Thread

Poster: A snowHead
@nozawaonsen, no sorry, it's too feckin close to home for someone like me (fatalities in La Grave yesterday etc) which frustrates me, you made a wrong call to be telling people that tomorrow could be "special" because of the sun!!

It's a basic heuristic trap and we've had enough tragedies the last couple of days without people like you advising that it could be a great day!

Just back track and admit what you said was not quite correct.

Past couple of days we've been skiing deep snow storm conditions (see Serre thread) and have been saying come the predicted sunshine that there could well be "issues" as people like you think it will be alright!

We're still trying to evaluate snow pack for tomorrow, croute oustide on the snow pack (due to late afternoon sunshine and warmer temps) on pretty well all aspects at 1400. so what will it be like above 2,000m these are but some of the questions we ask ourselves.

NB for most on here on piste will be superb rolling eyes

Sorry frustrated of Serre Che.................
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
This is a weather thread.

My comment related to the weather.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
As if someone would decide to go offpiste skiing based on a forum weather report saying it was going to be sunny rather than an avi report from experts. rolling eyes
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@DB, +1
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@DB, @Frosty the Snowman, if my comments make others bank it away in their grey matter for future reference then surely that is a goid thing?

Most punters will not refer to avi bulletins and will venture off piste without thinking.

Trust me, we will see loads today without the right equipment going in to questionable terrain.

And yes it's a weather thread somewhat focused on snow and weather in the mountains which should therefore reflect the potential hazards not just what might happen on the roads?

As I type this not a cloud in the sky, minus 8 and controlled blasting going on!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I think the majority of skiers ski on-piste, the majority of Snowheads ski on-piste, and i suspect the majority of viewers of thus thread ski on-piste. For all these what nozawaonsen posted is perfectly fine.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Jonpim, I know I'm on a hiding to nothing by being critical, but in the past @nozawaonsen, has mentioned the avi risk........... rolling eyes

Like I say if it gets a few of you thinking outside the box then that's not a bad thing.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Weathercam, I can see why you are sensitive to avalanche risk, but surely those you know around La Grave are experienced snow folk that appreciate the risk.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I read it as; it's a weather forecast thread and at last the sun will be shining after days of no sunshine. This makes for a great day skiing (whatever you decide to do).
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Mind you today chances are you're more likely to be taken out by a punter crashing into you in a lift queue rolling eyes
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Weathercam wrote:
@DB, @Frosty the Snowman, if my comments make others bank it away in their grey matter for future reference then surely that is a goid thing?

Most punters will not refer to avi bulletins and will venture off piste without thinking.

Trust me, we will see loads today without the right equipment going in to questionable terrain.

And yes it's a weather thread somewhat focused on snow and weather in the mountains which should therefore reflect the potential hazards not just what might happen on the roads?

As I type this not a cloud in the sky, minus 8 and controlled blasting going on!

I understand your frustration and yes it's good to point out the avi risk but don't agree that nozawaonsen is to blame for the stupidity or ignorance of others.

Stanton posted a clip with young skiers skiing offpiste in the St Anton thread. They were skiing down powder slopes all together, falling over and had no rucksacks = none had shovels or probes and most likely no transceivers either. I pulled him up on it but resisted a personal attack as it does nothing to help.

The sun can also have positive effects on avi risks - getting risk of surface hoar.

You too post a lot of great clips and pictures which will inspire people to ski offpiste probably more so that a sunny weather report, often you mention the avi risks but not always.

Maybe it would be better to put together a snowheads offpiste safety thread with real examples of where people have been caught out and what might have saved them - e.g. the recent "just offpiste" fatality in the Nassfeld thread springs to mind.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@DB, I wasn't blaming Noza "for the stupidity or ignorance of others" but maybe in hindsight the wording could have been something along the lines of "enjoy the sunshine but be careful with all the recent new snow" etc etc

Anyway here in Serre Che they had blasted the hell out of the more popular off piste routes, that said you could see so much natural activity out of the resort where we often go off the back, was quite alarming.

And saw this slide as we were hiking up, can you make out what had possibly set it off?

After seeing all the activity one big run we were planning to do we hit the nail on the head on that idea and whilst back home having a late lunch on the patio we could see four guys coming down the face.

Temps have been wild today, -10.5 first thing and now a balmy 9 degrees.

We did however manage some very sweet lines today, see the Serre thread Cool
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Weathercam

I believe this is a weather thread. Could you kindly keep the avi lectures, photo examples and q&a's for elsewhere please??
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Well... the sun came out...and... today was rather special.

Some good snow likely Tuesday and Wednesday too.

Looking at the back end of the week temperatures look like rising along with some unsettled weather. Early next week the freezing level is going to be key because depending where it is on Sunday/Monday there’s the potential for quite a bit of rain or snow.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:

Here are some ensembles...

The Arlberg

Chamonix

Cairngorm

Sestriere

Eastern Pyrenees

snow report
@Weathercam, you post some terrific photos and the ones of the dogs are charming. You seem to have a lovely set up in Serre Chevalier.

But you are quite unnecessarily rude and your endless boasting becomes dull. Which is a real shame on what is basically a pretty friendly thread.

Your reaction to my post that the weather was going to be special today was simply bizarre. And to be honest the repeated personal snipes season in season out are just weird.

I have repeatedly posted on this thread about the risks off piste on the first sunny day after snow. I’m well aware of it and certainly spend enough time in the mountains to be well aware of the consequences. You seem to think you have a monopoly on this which is also frankly a little odd.

The fact that I did not caveat my comment yesterday evening with such a warning was neither here nor there. This is a weather thread. The first post on the first page every year encourages people to read their local avalanche warning and I frequently post links to them.

It would have been perfectly reasonable for you to have followed it up with a note of caution, but you chose to lay into to me for no apparent reason.

Then to cap it all you put two posts up with photos about the off piste lines you skied in the fresh powder and sunshine today. Looked like you had a pretty special day to me and I’m glad you did.
latest report
@nozawaonsen, don't be so sensitive, so it's ok for you to have a subtle pop at me as in the Retour Est thread yet when it comes back you don't like it ?

And don't seem to recall putting pics up of our lines in any other thread apart from the Serre thread as I mentioned.

The avalanche pic is about a slide and not about lines skied, and hopefully (but evidently not) was posted as to be informative as to how fragile that beautiful looking snow pack in the sunshine can be.

But alas I've obviously got it wrong and no mention or advice should be given in this thread to avalanches rolling eyes

Good night - love ya really Razz
latest report
@nozawaonsen, nope, don't like those charts for my holiday. Do them again please.
ski holidays
Lots of talk about this having been an epic winter.

Of course this is all rather dependent on whether you were skiing smoking powder on bluebird days or shut in your hotel watching black flags flapping in the wind and at least as importantly whether your dance moves payed off in the bar that evening or whether you ended up on crutches.

But.

What do the stats say for Austria...

http://www.zamg.ac.at/cms/de/klima/news/winter-2017-2018-trueb-und-im-grossteil-des-berglands-viel-schnee

Some highlights.

- +25% snowier than average.

- -15% less sunny than average.

- February in the mountains -3.9C colder than average (one of the coldest Februarys in 32 years).

- Overall +0.8C for Austria for winter, though -0.1C in Tirol and only +0.1C and +0.2C for Salzburg and Vorarlberg respectively.
snow report
@nozawaonsen, or, not enjoying yesterday’s sunshine by being stuck in Edinburgh cos of a wee bit windybdrifting snow rolling eyes
snow conditions
Weathercam wrote:
nozawaonsen wrote:
Some terrific powder skiing round Verbier last few days. Tomorrow should be special as the sun arrives.........

That is so wrong, tomorrow is when it can be at it's most dangerous as people feel safe with the better viz, will probably still be 4/5, and with a bit of sun people will feel safe.

This is utter dangly bits. It was avi risk 3 in Verbier all week, including today, all the big lifts were open, and despite some wind loading the snow pack was stable with little visible activity. Guides were taking groups into backside Mont Fort, we also went in. As Noza predicted, it was special 😉
ski holidays
@nozawaonsen, don't listen to @Weathercam,

99% of his comments don't deserve a response
latest report
@Frosty the Snowman, I agree, different charts please Nozawaonsen especially for the NW alps.
latest report
GFS18z has Sunday mild.

And Monday cold.

So anticipate rain turning to snow. But too early to get a sense for where snowline will lie and how much will fall where.
snow conditions
First ski day is the Sunday so if you could bring it forward a little that would be appreciated.
ski holidays
Could be worse, I'll take the rain for one day if it's cold for the rest of the week.
snow report
Am I reading it right that weekend 0 isotherm threatening to go up above 2500m 😳. Would likely result in a lot of purging on the steeper slopes 😟 Fingers crosses it doesn’t happen.

Cold temps and new snow on Sunday/Monday more encouraging
ski holidays
@BobinCH, yes that certainly looks possible. Although we’ve obviously had a very cold end to February spring is hard on its heels. So expect quite a few swings back and forth.

On plus side there’s always John Lee Hooker and fresh snow midweek.

http://youtube.com/v/X70VMrH3yBg
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
My timing, as always this season, is terrible. Watched the snow fall on the webcams this weekend. Flying out tomorrow eve, back on monday first thing. Might grab some fresh snow on Weds I suppose...
ski holidays
I am off to Morzine on Thursday morning for 4 days, those charts above look like lots of precipitation and and very warm so will probably be raining. Am I reading this right, looks on another website that the snowline will be at the top of the mountain so potentially raining up high too?
latest report
@mheadbee, we are heading to Morzine on Wednesday till Sunday, not happy about these latest charts. Hate skiing in the rain - might have to be an extended bar session some days.
ski holidays
BobinCH wrote:
Weathercam wrote:
nozawaonsen wrote:
Some terrific powder skiing round Verbier last few days. Tomorrow should be special as the sun arrives.........

That is so wrong, tomorrow is when it can be at it's most dangerous as people feel safe with the better viz, will probably still be 4/5, and with a bit of sun people will feel safe.

This is utter dangly bits. It was avi risk 3 in Verbier all week, including today, all the big lifts were open, and despite some wind loading the snow pack was stable with little visible activity. Guides were taking groups into backside Mont Fort, we also went in. As Noza predicted, it was special 😉

Agree, was melodramatic at best, self-righteous at worst and then there was no climb down either. Noza was just saying, "Sunday is going to be epic" and he was right, not "Sunday go skiing off-piste without any care or usual precautions".

Avi was 3/5 in PdS too, fairly normal risk after a fall.

Maybe switch to decaf?
ski holidays
Agree. Most people ski on piste most of the time, and most of those who go off piste will know of the dangers.

Can't see in any slightest way that Noza was at all wrong and can't see how anyone can make an issue of him saying "tomorrow should be special as the sun arrives...."

And no apology as far as I can see.
latest report
And as of 17:00 yesterday avi risk in Valais was down to 2. Verbier didn’t get the same weather as further South and West and he didn’t even bother checking the avi risk before wading in 2 footed criticizing someone, who clearly knows a thing or 2 and is actually on the ground. And then posts pictures hiking on a slope where slabs were going 😳. It beggars belief...
ski holidays
Keep the forecasts coming noza and don't "rise to the occasion" mate... disappointing to see the rain moving in and freeze levels so high (3000 metres) over next few days at least in Arinsal.

I still have 2 weeks to go so hoping it's a temporary blip in proceedings Very Happy
latest report
@nozawaonsen, Keep up the good work mate, always appreciate your efforts. snowHead
snow report
Anyone with any tips on what's in store for Val D'Isere for next week? Forecast seems to be swinging rapidly on google search result sites!
ski holidays
Bennisboy wrote:
Anyone with any tips on what's in store for Val D'Isere for next week? Forecast seems to be swinging rapidly on google search result sites!

A bit of everything by the looks of it.
ski holidays
@BobinCH, right time to defend myself if I may Toofy Grin

I did not realise that Noza with that statement was only giving a local forecast for Verbier as I did not think he was concentrating just on his own back garden for that Sunday which is not something he usually does.

Across Savoie / Hautes Alpes local prefectures in advance of a perceived rush to ski off piste on a bluebird Sunday had issued strong warnings against going off piste (see avalanche thread in Off Piste section).

And if I were to post the main pic of that slide ( it's here ) you would see that we were hiking up a pisted track on a ridge that had been prepared for hikers (the vid in the Serre thread sort of shows that). That slide was on the out of resort side.

So as you have admirably demonstrated, people can misinterpret postings and jump to wrong conclusions, maybe without asking questions, resulting in making off the cuff derogatory comments Toofy Grin

Ciao
latest report
Well, sometimes the weather outfoxes everyone.
Just now it is snowing here in La Plagne.
But i have yet to find a single site to suggest that was going to happen.
Even local La Plagne site has cloud&sun for today, snow for tomorrow.
So maybe now the warm weather and snow forecast for the weekend will magically turn into cold and snowy - we can but hope.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy