Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The All New 17/18 Weather Outlook Thread

Poster: A snowHead
The latest GFS run goes for some pretty crazy snowfall totals across the UK between now and next Friday evening. Would be pretty historic if that comes off.

snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
they ve been getting very excited on netweather forum all week about it.....no major forecasters have been as forthcoming,........probably for fear of creating panic for it not to happen.

BBC have been playing it down......then will issue a warning 5 mins after it starts snowing!!! LOL
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
waynos wrote:
nozawaonsen wrote:
@Handy Turnip, some thoughts from Liam Dutton

https://twitter.com/liamdutton/status/966653244805181440

Apparently not gonna be good snowman snow Sad

Can't be very often that people complain about dry powder on a skiing forum!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Some more from Liam Dutton.

http://youtube.com/v/KJsZ7Thu1_U

The UK won’t have as intense cold as the Alps, but it looks like holding onto it for longer. In the Alps there is a likelihood of snowfall at the end of next week as the intense cold is disrupted.

Meanwhile some terrific cold and sunny conditions in the Dolomites today after some light snow first thing. Off piste was light, but not deep. On piste was very good. Pasta was excellent, hot chocolate outstanding!
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
hoping for some decent pennine snow Smile
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
kitenski wrote:
hoping for some decent pennine snow Smile

This would do it.

latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Still plenty more to come on the French Italian border.

And some interesting figures showing up for the UK.

Dolomites bathed in sunshine this morning.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
What's that Romford bus doing in the Dolomites - did he just follow his Sat Nav or something?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Forgot to put winter tires on it...
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Extended Summer Holiday...
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Watch out! Cliff!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Whagwan, Laughing
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Terrific conditions in Dolomites today, sunny and quiet.

Interesting watching the temperature dropping steeply as I headed North and East this evening into the cold...

Temperatures fell several degrees crossing the Brenner then several more approaching Salzburg.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Here’s a link to Met Office weather warnings for those keeping an eye out for snow in the UK.

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/warnings
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
nozawaonsen wrote:
Meanwhile some terrific cold and sunny conditions in the Dolomites today after some light snow first thing. Off piste was light, but not deep. On piste was very good. Pasta was excellent, hot chocolate outstanding!

Ah yes, the hot chocolate in the Dolomites is so rich and thick you can rest a teaspoon flat down onto it and it won't sink. Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
@Alastair Pink, you should try it in Spain. As I recently discovered, it's even better than in Italy. Shocked
ski holidays
Interesting link there nozawaonsen: it seems to be warning of Yellow snow (see pics).
snow conditions
@Jonpim, could be worse. Red Snow would be an altogether more explosive scenario...
snow report
Agreed nozawaonsen Toofy Grin .
And if you are looking at those maps, it is well worth checking the details.
London and the South East are included in the Yellow Area, but the Graph of Likelihood has us down for low risk.
Indeed our local map from the weather centre has the risk of precipitation as less than 10% for most of the period, except for early Wednesday morning when it rises to 32%.
snow conditions
@nozawaonsen, can you explain why the weather forecasts are showing such a change from Wednesday to Thursday in the north western alps, megeve and chamonix are showing -15 Wednesday but +4 on Thursday with rain. Will it really change that quickly? Is this due to an Atlantic front hitting the Eastern one?
ski holidays
@Ajn12345, if you look at the chart below you can see a low pressure system crossing over northern Spain. By Thursday this is drawing warmer winds up from the south across the Alps (starting in the West). Remember broadly speaking (in the northern hemisphere) winds move anti-clockwise round low pressure systems.

So rather than the current cold weather in the Alps driving in from the east, the winds from the south will become more dominant.

ski holidays
@nozawaonsen, thanks for that, I'll take a good book for my long weekend in megeve then, in case of rain! Bit disappointing when I literally arrive as it changes after they've had great weather and good snow conditions for the past couple of weeks, but no controlling what the weather gods throw our way, just obsessive watching of how it all unfolds on your daily updates.
snow report
Is This warm temperatures going to last till 5-8 March?
latest report
@toro, GFS 12z suggests cooling down from 07/08 March.
snow conditions
Marvellous just about time I'll leave.😔
ski holidays
@toro, slightly warmer spring conditions may be more enjoyable than extreme cold.
ski holidays
I love cold smoke type of skiing...
Seems this year it not my lucky one.
Hopefully not rain...please!
latest report
@nozawaonsen, I agree that warmer conditions are preferable to Siberian ones, but some warm early spring sunshine would be nicer than rain. This is all presuming I can make it out of the uk where heavy snow is now forecast for Tuesday so the whole country will most likely grind to a halt after the first flake has fallen.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
For goog skiing and snow quality you need cold...
latest report
@toro,
Not necessarily true. If it’s fresh snow I agree but if it’s old and over skied then I think warm is better.
snow conditions
Broadly similar pattern on ECM.

Milder weather pushing into the Alps at the end of the week (Friday), but by Wednesday cooler weather returning.
snow conditions
@nozawaonsen, any new snow forecast for that week...5 March.. .?
latest report
damn,.. hope this is wrong.. arrive 2nd in Cham and leave 6th !!
snow report
https://longrangesnowcenter.blogspot.com.au/2018/02/europe-on-long-term-26th-feb.html
My latest long term outlook for the European Alps. -NAO for next 2-3 weeks, and then a possibility of a +NAO developing Mid-Late March. Charts show plenty of snowfall left for those still out there. This covers the 8th of March and beyond.
snow report
Some very cold weather for the next few days before milder wear their arrived at the end of the week on both GFS and ECM this morning. The milder spell should last till at least the middle of next week.
ski holidays
nozawaonsen wrote:
Some very cold weather for the next few days before milder wear their arrived at the end of the week on both GFS and ECM this morning. The milder spell should last till at least the middle of next week.

Yup...after a almost perfect season snow wise so far, it seems that as the French school holidays end and the slopes are relatively empty again that we will unfortunately be blessed with a solid week of mild weather with rain. Sad Sad Sad
snow report
toro wrote:
For goog skiing and snow quality you need cold...

You've clearly never skied perfect corn!
snow conditions
@kitenski, perfect corn yes you right...🤣
latest report
06 GFS predicting a snowy weekend for the UK.

snow report
snowheads68, for a weather-techy innocent, how does your map predict a snowy weekend for the UK?
I presume the numbers on the isobars are pressure, but what are the numbers on the colour array along the bottom?
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy