Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Oldest ski jacket

Poster: A snowHead
Out on the slopes in Germany and looking at some of the clothes out here they’re close to the same age as me (so 80’s era). Got me thinking, what’s your oldest piece of ski wear that you still use?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Oldest piece I have is a decade old.
In fact, more than one piece, including a green jacket, there’s a Blizzard helmet, a pair of Billabong trousers, and a comfy base layer set.

One of the most relaxed and stylish skiers I’d ever had the privelege of meeting told me 8/9 years ago of the then 26/27 year old Italian bought, multicoloured ski suit (tuttifrutti all in one/ onesie) without which he refused to leave the chalet.
It was marvellous. Just like it’s owner.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I have a precision ski top and bottom from 1998, it’s lovely Maker gear !
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I regularly see people skiing in their '92 Olympics helper suits, the silver one with the rings on the back.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I still have a late 90's NF jacket that I don't wear, but it looks like a normal outdoor jacket, rather than a dedicated ski jacket. I doubt any of my current stuff is more than 5 years old.

Japan is the land of old ski gear, we hold a 'Ski Jacket of the day' competition. Their ski boom was the late 80's early 90's prior to the financial downturn, and many wear gear from that era.

This is typical, with matching Atomic Arc's:

ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I recall my favourite under-tights, nylon t-shirt and thin long-sleeve base layer (aka leotards with the poppers and sleeves cut off) being in my posession in my teenage years. That's, ho hum, late seventies. Tights still just about useable with a bit of darning, tops still going strong, all still worn every ski trip. They don't make 'em like that any more Sad .

On precise topic, my main jacket's only about circa 2000 - but it did only cost me £10 brand new. Think it'll last my lifetime.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Rodeo ski jacket (still looks great). I bought it in C&A in the nineties.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Phoenix Goretex/Thinsulate Neon Green Jacket, with Black and Purple bands of colour (and Neon Green Trousers).....bought in the 80s from a discount warehouse for about 60 Quid for the set. At the time, Phoenix stuff was making big money at either S&R or EB (can't remember which....maybe both).

Not worn so much these days....but will no doubt come back into fashion at some point (I did see some brighter Neon stuff in The States this year).
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
No jacket, but do have a pair of Salomon Force 9 gloves that are in great condition
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
skitech wrote:
No jacket, but do have a pair of Salomon Force 9 gloves that are in great condition

I've some Look (Blue/White) all leather gloves from about 1978...bought in Scotland. Make good Spring gloves, as there is little insulation in them (I suspect decent [non bulky/mass market] Insulation hadn't been invented - Thinsulate was first sold in 1979).
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I have an Event shell from 1986, in Yellow/Orange/Blue, but only wear it to the gym now.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
My favourite is a Nevica "Premier Neige" shell smock circa 1988

https://www.terapeak.com/worth/vintage-nevica-jacket-neon-ski-multi-color-wind-breaker-80s-90s-rare-coat-xlarge/281823330444/

Its just a cool thing to wear, I've also got the matching fleece for it but its not very warm, just cool.

I gave a away a pair of Salomon Boots .. SX92 equipe ... late 70's
My mate still wears them!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Does it have to be on-slope ski wear or could winterwear count too? I have a C&A long, down-filled puffa jacket that would now be considered Apres Ski - bought in the early 80s and has been in and out of fashion at least twice!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Have a black scania fleece bought in 1993 that is my go top for skiing as well as running in cold weather and under my drysuit for sailing. Haven't managed to find anything quite as versatile and well made. Will be a sad sad day when it finally gets retired.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Ha! Was thinking of starting a thread on exactly the same topic!

Still using my Couloir this week, from circa 1996. It was supposed to be outrageously expensive at the time, like 400 quid plus, but I went a long way to that shop to buy a certain fleece and when I arrived they didn't have one in stock, so they let me have the jacket at significant discount instead (means it was probably the previous year's stock). It has so many pockets that I keep losing things as I can't remember which pocket they went in. By contrast, I think my wife has had six or seven jackets since we started skiing together around the millennium, each time we come back she complains about it and wants another one. She wants me now to replace her Oakley Gore-tex thing as it has panels coated in clear plastic, and apparently I did something a couple of years ago (can't be the tumble drier, I know not to put GT in that) and the plastic melted Sad
ski holidays
Until last season was using Tenson jacket and salopettes bought in the mid 90s, had a bit of use then a long break in the 00s then back on the slopes this decade. Salopettes were black but now have areas of a brown tone, hate to thing what that sunshine is doing to skin if it bleached these out. Great gear and still have them hanging in the cupboard just in case spares are needed. Still use a pair of Helly Hansen base layers from then as well, havent found much better.
snow report
I am still rocking a full 1996 Peak Performance jacket and pant set. Pretty much all black - I believed that it would help me be like a ski ninja. All I can say is that that was the best 600 pounds spent. It’s never leaked, become sweat drenched or worn.
latest report
1987 blue with turquoise trim C&A ski jacket, with strange collar arrangement that folded across chest and clipped to press stud. Still wear for gardening occasionally.

Also a great Phoenix goretex jacket from 1992. Turquoise with purple trim. Very fancy jazzy design lining. Warmest jacket I ever had. Would take on ski hol if very low temps forecast.
latest report
I still have most of my kit from my gap year expedition to Svalbard in 96 including:

Scarpa Manta M4 leather boots (Mrs EWW says they look like a prop from The Hills Have Eyes)
Rab down jacket (no microdown then, that thing is BIG)
Various Turtlefur headbands, hats, neckwarmers
Sorel snow boots
Lined salopettes which are v. comfy and warm, but vetoed by Mrs EWW due to the "comfort" zipper from front to back.

If we ever get plunged into a mini ice age I shall be sitting pretty.
snow report
I still have a pair of Nevica salopettes with zips down the sides from hip to toe, navy with fluorescent pink stripes. Can't squeeze into them though Sad

Still wearing an Animal fleece top which I bought in 1995. In fact it's packed for a trip to Ellmau tomorrow Very Happy
ski holidays
An SOS jumper, purchased from Snow and Rock at the old Hemel dry slope in the very early 1990s. Still going strong!
snow report
Me and my monoski in Avoriaz 1988
snow conditions
That is awesome.
snow conditions
Old Fartbag wrote:
skitech wrote:

I've some Look (Blue/White) all leather gloves from about 1978...bought in Scotland. Make good Spring gloves, as there is little insulation in them (I suspect decent [non bulky/mass market] Insulation hadn't been invented - Thinsulate was first sold in 1979).

A classic Look glove, always wanted a pair but could never afford them.
snow conditions
skitech wrote:
Old Fartbag wrote:
skitech wrote:

A classic Look glove, always wanted a pair but could never afford them.

The fact they're still going strong, is testament to their quality.
latest report
Degre7 Fleece, purchased in March 1990, not worn it for probably 20 years, just can't bring myself round to parting with it.
latest report
Phoenix goretex jacket in turquoise from 1990-91 - amazing quality - great when v.cold.

Degre 7 green and purple fartbag - planned to wear in Alleghe but didn't.
latest report
@Skeet,
Quote:

Phoenix goretex jacket in turquoise from 1990-91 - amazing quality - great when v.cold.

@PeakyB,
Quote:

Also a great Phoenix goretex jacket from 1992. Turquoise with purple trim. Very fancy jazzy design lining. Warmest jacket I ever had. Would take on ski hol if very low temps forecast.

Do you think we have the same jacket? Imagine the embarrassment if we both wore it to the same society pisteside event in Gstaad, Cortina, St Moritz or such like? Embarassed
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@PeakyB,

My Phoenix gets worn quite a lot in Cortina. It fits rather well into the local timewarp - it's way newer than most of the lifts in the area!

Also, when I go there, there never seems to be any shortage of old codgers, wearing well used one pieces, of similar vintage.
ski holidays
I recently put both my 90's couloir jackets in the charity bag. One navy and purple, and well-worn as I had worn it out dog-walking for years. Then the other was white with purple bits. Loved that one as it was really warm, and it was still in good nick, but it was very 90's Lady Di style. Was probably this one I've just found on ebay https://www.ebay.com/itm/Preowned-Womens-Size-4-Couloir-Fusion-White-Ski-Jacket-Parka-Purple-Stripes-/161134186520
snow report
Phoenix Windstopper fleece pullover from 1990 ish. Perfect for spring days if I could fit in it again!
snow report
LOTA wrote:
An SOS jumper, purchased from Snow and Rock at the old Hemel dry slope in the very early 1990s. Still going strong!

Hi Lota, I've got a load of SOS stuff still from the late 80's
SOS Jacket in dark green with red bits. (second thoughts, I've lent it to my son in law so its probably be thrown out by now Sad )
SOS ski pants in bright yellow with purple bits
but also a pullover fleece from SOS in bright yellow, makes me look like an Easter Chick.

I've got a pair of Phoenix ski pants which must be 30 years old but never worn on the slope,
these are bright red.

My favourite ski pants are a pair of Degree 7's in purple, but I dont know how old they are I got them on eBay a few years ago.
snow conditions
Late February 1982 & still in great condition - a red/blue Killy Jacket with zip-off sleeves to use as waistcoat in Spring
Would have been very expensive at the time, but I bought it in a sale in sports shop in Pau on the way to the Pyrenees - just after French school holidays, so for them it was already end of season.
it did come with a matching salopettes - which dated much faster than the jacket - but I lent them to someone and never got them back!

Also have a Bermudes jacket bought in Morzine in Decemeber 1997 - with padded inner jacket and outer shell. It's flouorescent organge - and was ideal for dog-walking after being retired from the slopes
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy