Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

knac+++red feet - my own solution right here, right now

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
A look at my feet and I feel like I am looking at an accumulated history of physical neglect. My father had polio and had badly malformed lower limbs. One might have thought that I would look after my feet rather than abuse them.

Overtight ski boots - for a week of 10 hour per day low temp skiing. Result: vascular damage due to marginal frostbite.
Bonkers small climbing slippers - it was the fashion until Leo Holding stepped straight in at E grades with a borrowed pair of slipper two sizes too big: Result: toe bunions and more vascular damage.
B2 climbing boots 15 years ago almost always too narrow but you just applied Rule 5 - occasional frostnip and frostbite: Result: more tissue damage and a persistent cyst on one toe.
Tight cycling shoes for road and mtb: in winter, numb toes for hours of long hauling up hill.
Genes: increasing hammer toes due to tendons pulling toes out of shape when putting huge pressure on the joints when doing the 'gripping the earth' thing whilst skiing in the correct position.

Overall result: very messy.

Skiing boots: 102/100 last blown out at toe box on the inside - lange, technica, atomic.

But I recently discovered 5.10 cycling shoes - fat and wide Impact model with flatties rather than SPD - (partner) '...makes you look like you've got Hobbit feet...' gee thanks. But oh so good on the soul and sole. And then some 5.10 approach shoes (Tennies) arrived this week - so so wide, padded, supportive and immediately comfy. So they may not be a solution for everyone, but suddenly there are appearing shoes which can cope with damaged feet. And for climbing, Salewa new last models and La Sportiva Nepals - nice and wide. Hmmm....lovely.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Climbing 'boots' (shoes, slippers) have a lot to answer for Sad As do Sportiva Trango lasts (though they are still the best fit for my narrower low volume feet) and cowboy boots. My own bunions attest to this - and I never went for the they're not tight enough if you can still walk comfortably in them school of thought.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Grizzler, ...walk?...we used to hobble around the belays with the gait of John Wayne ...

...and do you live somewhere near Hope or somewhere near hope? Or Barnoldswick (Hope Components)?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
5.10 MTB shoes are great, but I've become really fed-up with the durability. Switched to some Giro Jackets last summer, which have been much better.

Important clarification - I'm a full-time pro bike guide and I ride a LOT. 5.10s were lasting me about 8 weeks!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@stevomcd, yes I read about durability...going to monitor that but from the reviews you are not alone....
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@valais2, Hobble? Bloody luxury! We used to crawl and thrutch even to find a belay rolling eyes
And that'd be as in hoping not to fall off Stanage, etc.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Ha, done pretty much exactly the same to my feet over the years and guess what, 5:10 impacts for MTB, Tennies for approach/Via Ferrata and climbing shoes sized comfy with a thin pair of socks Very Happy
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy