Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

La Plagne - Summer - mountain biking.

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Anyone tried it ?
I'm out late August and want to give it a bash so looking for info on hiring bikes, preferably in Plagne Centre.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
They have some great down hill tracks from the Colorado chair - rent all gear from Allias in plagne centre.
Tracks are coloured like ski runs - blue to black - the blacks are quite full on with large jumps and drop offs.
If you're not so keen on pure down hill stuff then there are a ton of "all-mountain tracks"
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The "all-mountain" tracks, of course, being about 100x harder than the pavements referred to as "downhill" tracks!!!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
More details of Push biking in La Plagne here http://presse-laplagne.com/en/category/whats-new/
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Also I note that they are or have build a "pump Track" in Plagne Bellecote

For 2017, the commune of La Plagne Tarentaise wished to continue its investment in the development of mountain biking on the resort by creating a 1300 m² Pumptrack space in Plagne Bellecôte. Three magnificent courses will be offered this summer: initiation (300 m², length 50m) and sensation on two slopes blue and red (1000 m², length 200m). Sensation enthusiasts of all ages and levels will be able to discover this new playground in mountain biking, BMX, scooter, skateboard, roller or draisienne. In free access, the pumptrack is ideally located at the site of the former equestrian center near the car parks, accommodation.
Source la plagne tarentaise
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
More serious response - there is some seriously good mountain biking in La Plagne. As seems to be the norm for French resorts, what's marked on their "VTT" map is a bit patchy. The new DH stuff at the Colorado lift is pretty decent, if somewhat short and a bit lacking in challenge. The "enduro" (or "all-mountain", whatever they're currently calling it!) trails are unusually good, as they've mostly used existing singletrack, although again it can be a bit patchy - some stuff is great, some stuff not so great. The long red/black going all the way down from Plagne Bellecote to the valley is mostly really good.

The best trails by a country mile are the "natural" singletrack trails which are marked on the IGN maps but not on the resort's VTT or walking maps. Get a map and go exploring...
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I'm out biking the Les Arcs trails again this summer - they seem to have taken away one of the single-track routes off the Col de la Chal, but the 20km down to Bourg is still there. Is it worth making the Vanoise trip to La Plagne?

(Note: I am not a Black VTT'er, barely do reds actually. Will be taking own bikes as per usual, since I daren't risk having the brakes the 'wrong way' round: last thing I need is an instinctive grab 1/2 way down a mountain to find I've a full front lock on...)
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Arctic Roll, the "20km route to Bourg" (Route 66) is really not worth the bother. A lot of doubletrack and needless pedalling.

As in La Plagne, the marked trails in Les Arcs are very patchy. The best riding is on the "natural" trails.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@stevomcd, I disagree about the route down via Villaroger to Bourg. It is a nice touring route. starts with some tricky stuff down to to Arc2000 then a blast down the cascades piste to Pre st Espirit and fairly long boring road down to villaroger and and interesting pedal through the meadows to Bourg. It is actually a very pleasant excursion but could do with an open bar in villaroger. I like it. The only thing to be careful of is the risk of dehydration as it can get very hot in the valley.

The more direct route via 1800 has some more technical challenges and is also very enjoyable.

OK VTT is a marginal activity for me. I do a few runs and that is it. I normally prefer the climbing and the via ferrata in the summer and the odd trip down the Isere if we can muster a raftr full.

ps what is "double tracking"
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@stevomcd, a mis-understanding I think. Been doing the route 66 every other year for the past 12 years, so happy that it's a nice family outing. Technical at the top, effort free from Pre St Esprit on.
What I am really asking is, is it worth popping over to La Plagne to see what else there is?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@johnE, well, for me "touring", "piste", "long boring road" and "pedal through meadows" don't really fit in my MTB vocabulary! I'd get lynched if I took a group of my clients down route 66! wink

As @Arctic Roll says, it's a family outing, not an epic MTB descent as billed on the Les Arcs maps/website.

Double-track is any kind of trail which is wider than singletrack - i.e. landrover track, forest road, ski piste, etc., anything wider than about 1m. Generally dull to ride and to be avoided.

@Arctic Roll, I was just commenting randomly on route 66.... you can probably tell I have a fairly strong dislike for it...

As for going over to La Plagne, it depends what you're looking for. If you're after prepared tracks like Woodstock, then I would say no. The lift system and trail network are not well enough linked-up to make it worth going over for that kind of riding (and the trails just aren't that great). If you're up for exploration and you like riding natural singletrack then, yes, most definitely - I much prefer the riding on the La Plagne side to Les Arcs from that point of view.

The new pump-track sounds pretty rad though. A big pump-track is loads of fun. Also probably the best work-out you'll ever get on a bike and the best way to improve your bike handling skills!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks @charliee. Will check out Allais

Also found these guys who deliver throughout Tarentaise. May work as we're there til 4th Sept when it will be like a ghost town
http://www.startlinemtb.com/

The single track exploration is right up our street, but we will make the effort to get up to Bellcote to try the pumptarck before summer shutdown.

Can't wait Very Happy
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I was up in Plagne Bellecote today. Let's just say that if there's going to be a monster pump-track built in a couple of weeks' time, they'd better hurry up and start!

Rode from near the top of the Arpette lift down to the plan d'eau at Bellentre. Always a rad descent!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
If you drive up to Tignes , the lifts for the mountain biking are free.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy