Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Jean-Claude Killy slams the safety of modern ski equipment

Poster: A snowHead
Speaking within days of the 2006 Winter Olympics, IOC member Jean-Claude Killy has slammed the risk of injury from modern ski equipment used by racers.
"You can't send a 20 year-old kid to have his knee ligaments redone three times in a row in three years. These repetitive injuries are not acceptable" he said.

Interviewed by Swiss newspaper Le Temps, Killy hit out at carving skis and elevated binding systems: "Currently it's like skiing on rails and it's almost impossible to deviate from them. At the slightest mistake, the knee lets go," he explained.

Jean-Claude Killy, who was raised in Val d'Isere but now lives in Switzerland, was the winner of three gold medals at the 1968 Winter Olympics in Grenoble.
In the interview, Killy also raises some apprehensions about the popularity of ski racing, and the possibility of logistical problems in Turin if weather causes delays to the big ski events.

[Source: TodayOnline.com]

Any comments on Killy's views?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
David Goldsmith wrote:

Jean-Claude Killy, who was raised in Val d'Isere but now lives in Switzerland

Any comments?

I assume he doesn't like the French tax regime?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Apart from returning to straight skis I am not sure what could be done to encourage more skidding/less carving, but I am no equipment expert. They limit sidecut on GS upward already don't they?

I like his point about longer races, the downhill runs do seem to take no time at all. But all athletes cover distances faster than they used to - look at Olympic swimmers today compared to what went on 50 years ago! Apart from moving the start gates further up the mountain, what can you do? If you make the courses more twisty-turny they become more like Super-G.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
In my ignorance, I'd thought modern skis/technique probably put less stress on your joints. The lack of rotational movement in a carved turn made me think this. OTOH, skis with big sidecuts can hook up in a way a straighter ski doesn't causing scary things to happen if you get in the back seat so I suppose he may have a point.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I've been at a race this morning - a FIS national junior championship slalom at Courchevel. One knee ligament injury right in front of me. These guys are supercharged, superfit, and as strong as oxes. Thigh muscles like some people's chests. They ski to the absolute limit, and their technique/equipment/skill/strength 'spits' them out of each turn in the search for acceleration. It's hardly surprising that the joints are occasionally not strong enough to handle the huge extra pressure if something goes wrong. They ratchet up the DIN to handle race pressures so the skis don't always release when they might. The course cuts up, and as you get further down the start list to the younger, racers with less FIS points, they are really finding it a battle just to stay in the race. Out of 130 or so starters, only 48 actually finished both runs.

Arno, that's exactly what happened to the young lad with the knee injury. Got caught in the back seat, tried everything to stay in the course, and paid the price.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Arno, I think they are safer for normal skiers. Certainly ski teachers have had markedly less knee problems since the carving ski came out, but at max?? I don't know myself for sure, but am not about to argue with my childhood hero.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
It's a very interesting ppoint being made but I wonder how much is to do with the danger of modern equipemnt or how much is due to the safety of it!! Let me explain.

When everybody skied in leather boots and cable bindings, the injury "de jour" was a broken ankle. With the advent of plastic boots, the injury became a broken Tib and Fib. Now, modern bindings have got rid of those injuries and the next weakest point is the knee. No doubt, once that has been sorted, the weakness will be the hip etc.

The next problem is that skiers today are trained so that their bodies are best suited to getting the most out of their sport. The mussle development and therefore the power available is far greater than in days gone by. It is known that in many sports, this knowledge of how to do sports specific training is leading to greater stresses on the body when in competition.

I am sure that carving skis are contributing to injuries but I think it is a grave over simplification to just blame the equipment.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
SimonN, that makes sense. What I was getting at really, when I mentioned the combination of "technique/equipment/skill/strength".
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
PG wrote:
SimonN, that makes sense. What I was getting at really, when I mentioned the combination of "technique/equipment/skill/strength".
PG
I am probably guilty of speed reading your post in my eagerness to make my point! I think we are in violent agreement!

However, it is s simple fact the knees are now the biggest concern and this is due to the equipment being better at handling other falls. I think it is about time bindings could handle this. If there is a movement that leads to the knee going, surely there must be a way of detecting it and making the binding release! I guess not, or it would be on the market Sad
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
SimonN, the trouble is they occasionally make such extreme movements to fight to stay in the course that an early release can lead to injury as well.

I missed the top part of this sequence today, but prior to the first shot, the racer had straddled a gate, fallen, somehow managed to stand up, then found himself skiing backwards (see first photo; didn't stand up for long though). He then slid down a good 100 metres of the course til he finally stopped - with both skis still firmly attached...

latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
PG, it would seem Anja Paerson doesn't have any trouble with this, as linked to by DG. Tough to tell an aspiring racer to hold back, but maybe knowing your body's limits should also be part of the training? I seem to remember something way back about Alan Jones kept on blowing up cars because he drove them too hard, whereas Villeneuve and Prost (? - I don't really know what I'm talking about here) were kinder on them so were more likely to finish a race.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
She could be the exception to the rule though. Many injuries happen during the probationary junior period - to know your limits you have to find them out the hard way. If you're very lucky, you get away with it. And I don't think even the training the Austrians are putting their squad through, despite all the technology involved, has really stemmed the flow of injuries. Think back to the pre-season, it seemed that a different team member was out of action with a big problem - often a knee ligament injury - every week. Some articles: here, here, here and here...
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I think the problem may be that knee ligament injuries are often suffered when the skier is well in the back seat. In this position the main force on the binding is upward in the toepiece which seems to be the one release direction that manufacturers haven't got really sorted
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
GrahamN, Prost was very sympathetic to his cars. Villeneuve on the other hand was a total hooligan who used to disregard wheels falling off etc! Great driver, entertaining to watch, ended up killing himself. RIP
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
the ice perv, Jaques Villeneuve is dead? How, when. Little Angel
latest report
SMALLZOOKEEPER, Gilles Villeneuve is dead.
snow report
... but not because of ski equipment.
snow conditions
David Goldsmith, richmond, the ice perv, I've been ill for days now, almost feels like i had been abducted, glad for Jaques. Little Angel
ski holidays
Ah yes I forgot there was/is more than one Villeneuve! The Alan Jones reference put me in an 80s frame of mind. I think it was he who used to knock GV's wheels off!
snow report
SMALLZOOKEEPER wrote:
the ice perv, Jaques Villeneuve is dead? How, when. Little Angel

Quote:
Gilles Villeneuve is dead.

Quote:
... but not because of ski equipment

But can you tell me the common link between Jaques Villeneuve and the British ski holiday industry? And its not just Jaques love of skiing, a sport he is rather good at!
latest report
SimonN, Fish? Little Angel
snow report
SMALLZOOKEEPER, Rubbish ... He Dared to Dive ... Little Angel
ski holidays
SMALLZOOKEEPER wrote:
SimonN, Fish? Little Angel
Puzzled

OK. So as not to keep you all in suspense (like you really were.NOT)

Jaques was managed for many years by one of the founders of Neilson Ski Holidays (and not a lot of people know that!!!)
snow report
eEvans, Very Happy
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy