Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Can't choose what resort to work in!?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hey guys!

I'm looking for some help deciding where to do my first season. (Sorry if this is in the wrong place).

I have offers from companies in Val, Verbier and St Martin de Belleville but can't choose! The jobs are all chalet hosting roles with more upmarket chalet companies so wage-wise they are all roughly similar, although Verbier is slightly higher. Standards/amount of work is probably : Verbier/St Martin/Val.

I'd say my standard of skiing is advanced-intermediate : I ski all pistes but my technique has a tendency to go out the window on particularly icy blacks!

I loved the apres in Val last time I went, don't know much about the apres in Verbier and as far as I'm aware, St Martin is a much quieter scene...

Just looking for some opnions/experiences from working in these resorts.

Thanks!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
St M would be very very quiet compared with the others. When you say Val do mean Val d'Isere or Val Thorens? If a party scene is what you want, then avoid St M (which is my fave resort out of all three, but my dancing on the tables days are well behind me). St M just has a couple of bars, then the rest of the nightlife is restauranty. I worked up the road in Les Menuires for a season. I think on the plus side there may be a better community spirit amongst staff in St M. The others all offer plenty to keep you entertained at night. Verbier being Switzerland mean the cost of living will be higher.
My advice, take the job with the least demanding role and maximise your on mountain time! Val D'Isere would be my choice if I wasn't quite so sedate these days!
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
SMDB is very quiet for night life. SO I think tat would rule it out straight away for you. Spent 8 weeks there in 2014 and it is good for getting access to the 3V, but that's it's only real advantage. As above, Val D'isere or Val Thorens? Either has good nightlife and great skiing. Verbier is the same but will be massively more expensive that the French resorts.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
If all other things are roughly equal, chose the resort that allows you to access the maximum skiing (both in itself &, if possible, nearby ski resorts). You cover a LOT of ground during a season! snowHead
Also consider access from where you are living and/or working to the slopes - if you've only got a couple of hours between shifts you don't want to waste time slogging to & from the slopes - especially early & late season when you'll probably have to get up high for the snow.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
PM me with details of who is the Verbier company.
You might have a lot of work, you might not....depends on the company.
You might get a LOT in tips (multiples of your pay), you might not...depends on the company.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks for the responses!

By Val I meant Val d'Isère, should've specified.

Accommodation wise, I believe they're all in the centre of the towns and so should be easy access to the slopes - the third company also gives employees access to their drivers when clients aren't using them so shouldn't be a problem.

Work-wise, I am very happy to work hard and to a high standard as long as I still get some time skiing - I purposefully didn't apply to the big English TOs because I'd prefer to work for a company at the top of their industry.

I've sent you a PM, rungsp.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
PM reply sent
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Val d'Isere is the best for apres/nightlife, but don't ignore Tignes. Accom is cheaper, there are a lot of businesses based there and it's the same ski area.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I'd choose Val D.
Great night life, fantastic skiing. Have a great time.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
My son, who's done seasons and odd weeks cooking in (very) high end chalets would choose Val d'Isere in a heartbeat. He disliked Meribel, in contrast. He did feel that he wanted to get out into the sunshine, by the end of the season - Val d'I being so surrounded by big slopes!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I'd choose Verbier on the basis of skiing and the people I might be able to ski with. St Martin second for the cruisey laid back scene (& plentiful safeish off piste around VT and Orelle if you know what you are doing). Val last because of the higher concentration of the sort of people I tend to avoid ( no offence intended to Val residents or fans - the skiing is obviously fab).
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I dislike Val d'Isere, personally, but I do think it's a good place for a season - my son shared a (tiny, weeny) flat with a top British ski instructor and had an absolute ball. He started working for a British TO but fell out with them very early on and freelanced the rest of the time (hence the tiny flat, which he borrowed money from me to pay for - all repaid ultimately).
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@bonnax,

From what you've said don't go to St Martin!

Val d'Isere better linked piste skiing than Verbier. Nightlife good in both but Verbier more expensive (although probably not significantly).

2 of the best resorts in the world. You won't go wrong with either!

Enjoy
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
We don't have every single resort listed, but we review a lot of companies and the areas they work in on our site chaletcouple.com that may help you in your decision.

(Obviously, it's aimed at chalet couple's but the information can be used by all!) Cheers and have an amazing season when it comes! Smile
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
If you want apres, strike St. Martin off the list straight away, used to be fun with Brewskis but I believe that is gone now, otherwise it's a nice little town to work in and has good access to Meribel. If it were my choice I'd go with Verbier, good mix of nightlife and some great skiing.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy