Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Austria for a short break

Poster: A snowHead
I've been booking short 4 day breaks to France and Italy for years now and am thinking of something in Austria for a change next season.
I've only skied in St Anton and Mayrhofen in Austria and am not really sure where to go. I'm flying from Dublin so Munich is my best airport choice so any suggestions for somewhere not too far away with reliable snow.
It looks like end of January or start of March time too.

Thanks.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The obvious ones are SkiWelt area (exactly which resort depends on fine tuning of personal preferences) or Ski Juwel or Serfaus / Fiss / Ladis
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Schladming, Flachau, Zauchensee, Radstadt, Wagrain...
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Pretty much anywhere in Austria for the times you suggest. SkiWelt is near and huge. Kiitzbuhel is next door.

It really comes down to flight times - a 7.00 London departure has you skiing by lunchtime if you keep on the move. If you're flying later in the day then driving further can be an option due to it being a travel day rather than half a ski day.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks for the ideas.
We are pretty limited with flights from Dublin so Munich is our best bet with good flight times so if it's Austria it is defo from Munich.
I've skied extensively in France and Italy and probably fit best into the strong intermediate category so love to ski large areas and while not exactly a powder hound, I do like to ski off piste if conditions allow.
Apres is not a priority but we all like a few beers after skiing.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I'd head for the Zillertal.. Hochfugen & the Zillertal arena are pretty big areas with some fun to be had off the sides (especially Hochfugen)..

Don't know what day you'd be travelling, but the autobahn from Munich towards Salzburg can get quite busy on Friday afternoon/evenings.. I've done Munich down to Fugen via the Tegernsee to avoid it, could even have a cheeky afternoon at Achensee on the way through if you get time.. quite a fun little area NehNeh
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Depends on time of day. I usually hit Munich ring at about 9-10pm on a Friday after work, and the A99 ring, A8 and the Inntal autobahn are fine.
From there, pretty much anywhere... Zillertal, Ski Welt, ...
I tend to just stay in Innsbruck and go where I fancy (usually Zillertal), but there's more local stuff, and everytime I intend to check out places like Stubai, it's tanking it with snow so no point going up on to a glacier. Kaltenbach/Hochfugen for me when it snows... because there's a multistorey carpark by the lifts, which means no clearing snow off the car at the end of the day Smile (I expect there must be similar such carparks in Ski Welt etc.)
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
The difficulty I find with Austria are flight times for a long weekend. You basically have 3 airports: Innsbruck, Salzburg or Munich and only Munich gives you enough options that makes a Thursday to Friday ski weekend feasible. Even then you are leaving by around 1 pm on the Sunday to make sure you get back for your flight. It almost forces you to have an extra night just to get the 3 days in.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Any Snowheads living close enough to Stansted might be interested in a new route starting this winter. Eurowings are flying every evening except Saturday between Stansted and Salzburg, making short trips and weekend trips a possibility. The outbound flight departs 19.10; the return departs 17.25. Prices from £30 each way.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@quinton, ooooh!!!! Stansted express from liverpool st and bus home to Chelmsford. Thanks
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@quinton, that looks very interesting! Still need to wangle an early finish on a Friday afternoon though!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I can get flights landing in Munich at 10:20 and leaving at 20:10 so plan on getting a few hours the first afternoon if possible and ski until lunch the last day.
I'd prefer a transfer but have heard of a train from Munich airport to St Anton and was wondering if anyone has done it?
Another option is flghts to Zurich which last at 19:30 and leave at 20:10.
Thanks again.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Not heard of any direct trains from Munich Airport to ski resorts.
S-Bahn from the airport to either Munich Ostbahnhof or Hauptbahnhof, where there are trains to places like Innsbruck, Radstadt/Schladming, etc. St.Anton will almost certainly be a 2nd change (with the possible exception of a night train).
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I think you might lose the few hours of skiing on the first day by taking the train.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Andybomb, I think you may be right, hire car it is.
snow conditions
Also, don't worry about choosing a place until the week before. Many places won't take a short booking until that sort of time so you may as well go where the snow is best.

I'm a huge fan of SkiWelt which is super convenient for Munich but lacks on off piste. There is plenty to keep you busy for 4 days though.
snow report
Looks like St Johann in Tirol.
snow report
Zurich or Innsbruck would be closer to useful places if you have the choice.

I usually fly to Munich (I don't have the choice) and drive from there. The Munich section can be busy but it eases up. The bits of Austria I visit aren't busy in the early hours so the final bit is easy even if you're late.
ski holidays
My experience of doing Austrian short breaks (pretty much all I can fit in these days) is that anything crossing Saturday to Saturday weeks is very challenging to get accommodation for. The stock response to my Friday to Monday enquiries is "No but we can do Saturday to Tuesday!"

Re. the earlier advice on this thread - yes you absolutely can get short break late bookings very close to the date, but spanning a Saturday makes this exponentially harder...trust me from bitter experience. (By the way if you do this, and get stuck, Niederau is my awkward-days-short-notice banker resort, easily accessible from Munich)

Sounds like you're quite far along, and if you've managed to get accommodation on the days which suit you, well done. I'm very fond of St. Johann, having learnt to ski there aged 11, and have been back several times since. Taking away that nostalgic bias though, the skiing is really not that great and suffers from a major queuing bottleneck going up from the village. It's a nice town though, very pleasant to stay in even if you don't ski there. With a car you're 15 minutes from Fieberbrunn (hugely recommended!), 15 minutes from Kitzbuhel, 20 minutes from the Ski Welt, etc.
ski holidays
Kitzbuehel.
ski holidays
@JimiHendrix,
'suffers from a major queuing bottleneck going up from the village.'
Really? I've only queued for the gondola for longer than 5 minutes when the ski schools go up in the morning. Also there are new lifts going in to replace the long drags from Eichenhof which will serve the best runs on the mountain IMO.

'It's a nice town though, very pleasant to stay in even if you don't ski there. With a car you're 15 minutes from Fieberbrunn (hugely recommended!), 15 minutes from Kitzbuhel, 20 minutes from the Ski Welt, etc.'
Yes, we've done that a couple of times. I worked out you have access to over 800km of pistes within a 20 minute drive!
ski holidays
@Drammeister, great to hear re. Eichenhof - that is where I learnt to ski. I'll make a pilgrimage if that happens!
ski holidays
@JimiHendrix,
There's thread here about it.
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=3073823#3073823
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy