Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Newbie Questions!

Poster: A snowHead
Perfect, thanks Smile

Hes about 180lbs. That's good t hey sort you out properly when you're there. I remember boot fit was so important, they're so bloody unconformable from what I remember, they have probably improved in the last 12 years though!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
surfcfc wrote:
I remember boot fit was so important, they're so bloody unconformable from what I remember, they have probably improved in the last 12 years though!

I'm saying nothing Madeye-Smiley wink
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Given you are in MK I'd go to the fridge to check it out but sometime over this summer when it is quiet as the last thing you want is to be in crowded indoor space as every numpty decides that they'd better warm up for their holiday in 2 weeks. That will then reassure you that there isn't a major problem. Plus indoors you can ask for short skis and low DINs without the prospect of a long walk home if your DIN really is set too low.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@surfcfc, It's handy using Crystal for ski hire, especially if they have an offer - This year, I got a half price offer on ski hire / lift pass...and the quality of the advanced skis was very good - but you don't have to go through them.

IME. It's essential do do your homework, a) so you know the general pricing of hire in the resort and b) You know the price of the Lift Pass (and Lessons) in Euros, as I have seen Crystal milk the exchange rate. With the fall in the pound, the exchange rate Crystal use, may or may not work in your favour. One way to check, is look up the same Holiday on Crystal.ie, which keeps things in Euros.
Living in NI, I always price the holiday both ways, as I can fly out of Dublin....the differences, either way, can be substantial.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Wed 7-06-17 10:59; edited 3 times in total
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Haha ok so they're still uncomfortable then!! Tbh that'll be the least of my worries Smile

I'm in Cornwall, and just checked the closest real snow place is in Tamworth, 5 hours away. I'm thinking it may be worth it though to head up there.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I think the price I got for everything was £2300, inluding boots, skis and pass. This was for half board at a hotel too, which I don't think is a bad price? Would be worth me checking with the local shops at the resort about ski hire costs though for sure.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
surfcfc wrote:
I think the price I got for everything was £2300, inluding boots, skis and pass. This was for half board at a hotel too, which I don't think is a bad price? Would be worth me checking with the local shops at the resort about ski hire costs though for sure.

That looks about right....I usually spend about 1.1k-1.2kGBP per person, including spending, to a hotel in a decent French resort.

It's quite simple to check the Net on Hire/Lessons/L.Pass in Euros

or check this website for Euro prices: http://www.crystalski.ie/search/sr.1
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@foxtrotzulu, FTZ and Sophie - I don't really agree with 'any half decent shop....' if I had a trashed ACL (and I do) then I would know my DINs (and I do). I come across too many shops which are cursory in setting DINs - despite all the litigation and insurance issues - and often the DINs are set too high. I would get advice from Jon at the Piste Office. On length, pre-ordering can give rise to real problems - this too is still a reality - the views of some adolescent in a shop in resort is nothing to rely on if you have a trashed ligament. Sophie get some advice from a good tech on what kind of ski you should be on - wide waisted skis exert loads more pressure on the knee. Hence my advice about SLs if you are a beginner; the skis basically want to turn by themselves. It's really not that complex - know your DINs and know what kind of ski and the length you want to be on. Sorted. It's all too easy to end up with something entirely wrong by relying on 'a half decent shop' - a lot of them aren't.

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Wed 7-06-17 11:41; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I'll have to do a lot more research on what kind of ski I need. Even then I guess I cannot be guaranteed the shop will have that type to give to me? The more knowledge I have though about what I need is definitely better than going in blind and replying on someone else to potentially give me the wrong equipment all together. So is the lower the DIN the more it will release from your boot?!
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@surfcfc,
Quote:

Even then I guess I cannot be guaranteed the shop will have that type to give to me?
Ski hire is a bit like car hire. You go on the website and choose a VW Polo. You turn up at the resort and discover that they've never had any sort of VW in their life and the Polo is just 'indicative' of the type of car. You end up with a Citroen C4 Cactus if you are in France, a Fiat if you are in Italy, a Seat in Spain and so on. Ski Hire is much the same. They will have the perfect skis for you and your BF, but if you go in with your heart set on a pair of 170cm Head i.GSR Rebels with a turn radius of 14.4m then you will be disappointed.

Quote:

The more knowledge I have though about what I need is definitely better than going in blind and replying on someone else to potentially give me the wrong equipment all together.
True, but there is a fine line between that and the fact that a little knowledge is a dangerous thing.

Quote:

So is the lower the DIN the more it will release from your boot?!
Yes, but remember that a binding that releases too easily will actually cause accidents. It's not rocket science. Just check some of the website calculators and compare that with what the rental guy is suggesting. If it looks wrong then query it. In my experience most shops use a computer to calculate DIN settings so they are unlikely to be that wrong.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Haha yep, we ended up with a Cinquecento once...that was a struggle for my BF!

I wouldn't have my heart set on any type of ski, I don't know enough about the makes/brand etc. so as long they are the right 'fit' for us that's all I'm worried about Smile

I have done a couple of the online calculators, 5.5 or 6 seem to be what I am getting.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
albob wrote:
I've stayed in the Terra Nova and would be happy to go back. Ski in/out (the 'boot' room takes you straight on to a piste!). I've been with Crystal several times without any problems (they are part of the TUI group), although the 'reps' can be a bit hit and miss..

We stayed at the Tera Nova three years ago and like 'albob' I'd happily go back. In line with most ski hotels the rooms aren't huge and unless the place has had a refurbishment decor wise it was OK rather than pristine. Food was decent enough, if you aren't overly fussy. It's main attraction is its ski in / ski out position, right on a green slope leading to two lifts going different directions. It was fairly quiet too, but only a 5min walk to the main shopping/bar centre.

As for Crystal, well everyone's experiences vary. We've always found the reps great but after 2 poor experiences in 3 years we're going DIY. Last year they changed our accommodation 5 days before we traveled, the La Plagne year we arrived a day late due to 'snowmageddon'. Now they can't be blamed for the weather but the organisation was chaotic to non-existent with the poor reps literally being left in tears. They then overcompensated on the return (no snow forecast), leaving us sat in a dangerously overcrowded Chambery airport for more than 4 hrs.

Maybe we've just been unlucky but we'd rather do it ourselves now to at least have a degree of control.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Sounds perfect, Terra Nova is on my list at the top at the moment.

I think I would definitely consider DIY-ing perhaps if we go again, but for the first time definitely going with a TO. When did you go? Hopefully March won't be too snowy!? :/
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@surfcfc,
Quote:

Hopefully March won't be too snowy!
Now that's a phrase you don't often see around here!

The snowiest times of the season in recent years have seemed to be the very end of March or even early April. But that could just be my imagination and every season is different. Last year I spent two weeks skiing in/near La Plagne during March. Week one (1st-7th) had heavy snow every day and it was a bit miserable if I'm honest. Visibility was rubbish. Week two (7th-14th March) had perfect snow, blue skies and sunshine every single day.

If I could choose when to ski out of all the possible weeks, then I would go for March. After the French have gone back to school (c.3rd March AFAIK) and before the Brits break up (around 24 March for private schools). Greatest chance of the best weather, best snow, least crowded resorts, as well as longer days and better prices.

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Wed 7-06-17 12:53; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Haha ok, I shall re-phrase to say not too snowy as to get stranded, but snowy enough for good skiing!! Very Happy

I honestly don't like it when it is constantly snowing, due to as you say the poor visibility. I remember losing all confidence completely.
snow report
@surfcfc, @Dave of the Marmottes, ..man speaks the truth.... spot on

@surfcfc, if you are just doing piste skiing then go for a short easy turning ski - SL or one with good tip rocker (basically a more lifted edge section at the front) - Dave OTM is saying things which are really sensible - go the the Fridge and 'talk skis' to someone knowledgeable.

DINs - basically yes, lower DIN, easier release. But the physics makes it slightly more complex, longer boots (boot sole length) require LOWER setting since they exert more force on the knee. But to make it simple ... just use a DIN table and modify for age, ACL damage, type of skier etc - which is best done by someone really trustworthy (Colin in Bicester, Jon in Nottingham). Simply go to someone good, state clearly your ACL issues, and then remember your DIN.

All the comments about 'early release from too low a DIN is dangerous'... not really applicable in your case, since you will be a low speed beginner, and ACL damage more likely from low speed, twisting accidents where too high a DIN is an established, recognised danger and which results in many ACL injuries.

And in poor viz, everyone new tends to lean back and it all goes horribly wrong. Either retire with a good book to the cafe, or make sure you have some excellent goggles - yellow or orange tint for low light (cat 1) - and that makes a hell of a difference to confidence - you can see! Get used to wearing goggles all the time, in my view, good for your eyes, good for your skin, good for dealing with different conditions. Even in very high temps I wear googles - all year, everyday - just have got SO used to wearing them. Get some spherical Bolles or suchlike - some very good Bloc ones are very cheap - around 35-40 gbp on fleabay, new.
snow report
@surfcfc,

Goggles possibilities

Bolle large face - emperors. Smaller face - quasars
Bloc large face - evo series.
Smith - large face IO. Smaller face - anthem & heiress
latest report
Watch for the rental shop employee on autopilot re DIN setting. Using the shop DIN calculator my setting is DIN 7 which is what I have my good side set to. But the side with the dodgy knee gets set to 4. NB if you insist on a lower setting the shop will often ask you to sign a waiver.

Something about ski choice which is often ignored is the weight of the ski. My damaged knee is held together with muscle. It gets tired faster with a heavy ski so I look for a lightweight ski. These are often described as ladies intermediate or recreational skis, I am not proud, I will ski on pink skis with kitten faces if it allows me more time on the white stuff.
snow conditions
surfcfc wrote:
I'm in Cornwall, so nothing like that ever gets as far down as us!

Got running water yet? NehNeh Laughing
surfcfc wrote:
the closest real snow place is in Tamworth

Similar situation for me (although I'm Exeter way so a bit closer. Hemel is reasonably straightforward to get to and I found it best to combine it with something else in the London-ish area. My mate lives in Guildford so if I'm making the 3 hour drive to visit him I sometimes make the effort to go the extra hour to Hemel. There's also snowdomes in MK and Manchester...but realistically you're looking at 3-4 hours from Exeter to some fake snow.

From what I understand it's worth visiting over the summer as is likely to be a lot less crowded. I think that by about October it starts to get a bit busier as people want to polish up on skills...by January/February it can be pretty packed.
ski holidays
Quote:

@surfcfc, Tamworth does not have the best surface... if it was me I'd have more lessons at a nearest dryslope. Is Christchurch doable ?
latest report
@ski, Plymouth would be closer and has reasonable length...but as others said might not be best for first time back on skis since ACL.
snow conditions
@surfcfc,
Quote:

I honestly don't like it when it is constantly snowing, due to as you say the poor visibility. I remember losing all confidence completely.

Another good reason for booking late, eg no more than 3 or 4 days before departure. Benefits: you know the snow conditions; you have a rough idea of weather forecast (though should be treated with caution); you're likely to get good value deals.
If you're planning on going mid March and there's only two of you, there'll be plenty of availability in places like La Plagne and Les Arcs. But if the snow and/or deals happen to be better elsewhere, you're flexible.
ski holidays
@SnoodlesMcFlude,
Quote:

Plymouth would be closer and has reasonable length...but as others said might not be best for first time back on skis since ACL.

The best protection for @surfcfc, 's ACL would be very sound technique. The way to get that would be lessons in the UK before the trip away, and the more of them the better.
snow conditions
SnoodlesMcFlude wrote:
surfcfc wrote:

Got running water yet? NehNeh Laughing
surfcfc wrote:

Similar situation for me (although I'm Exeter way so a bit closer. Hemel is reasonably straightforward to get to and I found it best to combine it with something else in the London-ish area. My mate lives in Guildford so if I'm making the 3 hour drive to visit him I sometimes make the effort to go the extra hour to Hemel. There's also snowdomes in MK and Manchester...but realistically you're looking at 3-4 hours from Exeter to some fake snow.

From what I understand it's worth visiting over the summer as is likely to be a lot less crowded. I think that by about October it starts to get a bit busier as people want to polish up on skills...by January/February it can be pretty packed.

Haha yeah just about; still waiting for electricity though! Razz

Everything is so far away from us down here, we only went up to Nottingham a few weeks ago to see a band so should have gone to the one in Manchester then!

Thanks for the tips on Goggles valais2, I shall look into them!
snow report
surfcfc wrote:
Quote:

Quote:
Got running water yet?

It's called the Atlantic.
snow conditions
@surfcfc,

I don't think you need to over-complicate this!
Early March is a great time to go - especially as a beginner - reliable snow and milder weather.
A hotel near the piste in any of the high French resorts is ideal - minimal hassle and you don't need a huge number or variety of pistes as a beginner. I don't think it matters which resort really.
Don't sweat about equipment hire - any shop will find you something suitable for beginners.
I think you could chose not to buy googles and only buy them in resort if the weather requires them - you might very well manage with sunglasses all week (although I personally prefer to ski in goggles many do not and overheating is perhaps more of an issue if you are travelling slower and hauling yourself up more as a beginner)
Have a great trip
ski holidays
@surfcfc, To save you some searching : on my Crystal ski holiday this year, they (crystal) were charging exactly the same price as the shops in resort
ski holidays
Not a goggles fan personally. I don't like the restricted Peripheral vision and the lack of air. Essential when snowing though.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
ski wrote:
The best protection for @surfcfc, 's ACL would be very sound technique. The way to get that would be lessons in the UK before the trip away, and the more of them the better.

Agree, but not sure that the unforgiving nature of dryslope would be best for first time out. I'd say that some time in a dome to get used to being back on skis, followed by dryslope....but I'm no expert.
latest report
Quote:

@surfcfc,

I don't think you need to over-complicate this!
Early March is a great time to go - especially as a beginner - reliable snow and milder weather.
A hotel near the piste in any of the high French resorts is ideal - minimal hassle and you don't need a huge number or variety of pistes as a beginner. I don't think it matters which resort really.
Don't sweat about equipment hire - any shop will find you something suitable for beginners.
I think you could chose not to buy googles and only buy them in resort if the weather requires them - you might very well manage with sunglasses all week (although I personally prefer to ski in goggles many do not and overheating is perhaps more of an issue if you are travelling slower and hauling yourself up more as a beginner)
Have a great trip

Absolutely correct. You don't need to worry about DIN settings, you dont need to buy goggles before you go, you don't need Goretex clothing, special socks, multiple special layers of Merino wool. You don't need a helmet. You can do all these things if you wish but as @jedster, says you absolutely don't need to overcomplicate this. You definitely aren't the first person with an injury that might require a fraction more care when setting up the skis. Bearing in mind how far the nearest fridge is to where you live I definitely wouldn't bother. Save your time and, more importantly, save your money for a few extra drinks bathed in sunshine on the terrace of a mountain restaurant.
snow conditions
Amen @jedster, @foxtrotzulu,
snow report
Jedster and FTZ - only up to a point, Lord Copper.

three things

She has a trashed ACL - what price just acquiring a bit of knowledge?

It will take but a few minutes for a good tech to advise her on DINs. Yes, she lives in Cornwall but obviously wants advice from knowledgeable people on here. And dig deep into your souls, surely you also know that you just can't rely on busy hire shops in resort? Know your DINs - simple.

Same goes for skis and ski type. Have you never come across the 'this is what we've got' problem? What if this happens to her and the shop tries to inflict something mad on her. Again, it does happen. Know your ski type and length - simple.

A number of people have talked about good technique - solid advice. Easy solution. Buy some private lessons early on in the vacation. Simple.

And finally, she says she hates bad viz. Flat light is grim too. So spend 30 gbp on some good goggles. Recommended here, simple.

None of this is more complex than following a recipe for scones, and may save her ACL from further damage.
ski holidays
valais2 wrote:
None of this is more complex than following a recipe for scones

You should have seen my few attempts at making scones. 'mare.
ski holidays
@valais2, but seriously the list was piling up in this thread. Many of the regulars on here, me included, can be really anal when it comes to skiing matters. Which can be off putting or mind blowing to newbies. And in reality, things can be done very simply in the first instance.
ski holidays
@Layne, entirely agree.

And sometimes something simple can be at the heart of quite a big problem. Friend of mine had a horrible accident - really bad. We worked out what lay at the heart of it: cr+p goggles. In poor viz he missed a 2m drop to a cat-track. Broken hip, punctured lung. Busted ribs. All for a 30-50 pair of decent goggles.
snow report
valais2 wrote:
@Layne, entirely agree.

And sometimes something simple can be at the heart of quite a big problem. Friend of mine had a horrible accident - really bad. We worked out what lay at the heart of it: cr+p goggles. In poor viz he missed a 2m drop to a cat-track. Broken hip, punctured lung. Busted ribs. All for a 30-50 pair of decent goggles.

Evidence entirely circumstantial - there is no way you could be sure the goggles were the sole/main cause of the accident. Are you sure he wasn't just skiing like a numpty. I often try to blame my kit, the snow, the alignment of the stars when I ski like a plonker.
snow conditions
@Layne, yes it's an interesting one. I agree that conclusions can be quite cursory and wrong. But I always recall Joe Simpson's thoughts about what lay deep at the heart of the accident on Sulla Grande - not taking enough gas (it's interesting reading). And so we did a lot of forensic discussion about the skiing incident - and we spent a lot of time (and not too much beer) getting all the details on the table - yes, he does ski too fast, and he was skiing too fast for his viz on this occasion. His goggles were indeed really rubbish - scratched and misted. His own conclusion was 'I could see enough to try to hammer it, but didn't make out the change of level in the flat light and with my goggles misted...'.
snow report
There are lots of things you don't need for skiing. Yes, some people tend to over complicate the activity, equipment and clothing.
Yet some things make the whole experience safer and more enjoyable. Especially when you get a snowy, bad vis, flat light, bitterly cold day.

Understanding skis and settings costs nothing and might help avoid a pressurised techie fobbing you off with rubbish. Taking your time getting good boot fit, if renting, well worth it too.

Wearing a helmet seems very popular these days, costs little.
Taking goggles in case needed, rather than spending at least double on a pair bought in resort, seems common sense. Personally I go sunnies most of the time with amber lens goggles for poor vis.
Gloves and outer layers that keep you reasonably dry don't have to cost the earth.
Not forgetting a whistle, a cheap safety device, handy for attracting attention, eg when your glass is empty on a sunny mountain restaurant terrace.
I personally think private lessons are a bonus if affordable. Group tuition beneficial at much lower cost? Smile
snow report
Seriously, thank you all so much for your advice; I really appreciate it and have taken it all on board. I think I'll be sensible and opt for decent goggles. I prefer goggles to sunglasses anyway as they just feel more secure. Definitely gunna go for lessons, maybe not before we go but when we are there. I just hope like someone said above that I will get some good advice and equipment from the shops due to me knee. As you said, I'm not the first nor the last person to go skiing after blowing out my knee so hopefully they will be used to this to an extent.

Before we go I shall do a but more research into what type of skis, DIN, etc. would be best for me, and I'll likely pop back on here to go through all the info you have given me again!! And probably ask more questions! Very Happy
ski holidays
I think my problem about seeking advice before you go from the Piste Office or whomever is that while you might get a bit more of their time on the phone than you can do in some rental shops you will always have the problem that DIN settings can vary according to the brand of binding, the size of the boot and your physique (and possibly the type/size of ski too?). I'd suggest you spend a few minutes looking at an online DIN calculator to get an idea of what to expect, then simply make sure you pick a good rental shop and go in at a quiet time when they can talk to you in detail.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy