Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Want to buy a new board for winter?

Poster: A snowHead
I have had my board a long time, I got it when I could just about leaf down a mountain.

Now after a season in NZ and 6 weeks in Japan and a week in Mayrhofen I think I am ready for a new board.

My old board is pretty stiff, so can't butter and has little pop. I want to ride all mountain but love hitting little jumps and small rails.

So what the best thing to do here are my options

1) Go to a snow done (I live in Cornwall) and try some out

2) Take my board on next hols and spend a day testing then buy one whilst I am away ( probably going to Mayrhofen again in march)

3) rent a board for a week, also test out a few.

4) buy new board and just hope for the best
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I'm also in Cornwall and I tend to pick 4) after doing a bit of research. So far I've been very happy.

I have rented boards for a few days but never found quite what I was looking for because, in reality, you can only try a few boards from a limited range and there are hundreds to choose from. I think committing to an informed choice works, there's no point in getting too hung up on detail.

My latest purchase is a Rossignol Jibsaw which I haven't tried yet, but sounds like it is the sort of board that might suit you. I'm not into park at all, mostly carving (old school surfer) and powder on my other board; the Jibsaw is for use on hardpack and ice and for learning switch and maybe a few jumps.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks for that I have a rossignal scope buts it's a 2007 model. Very stiff, but I am 6ft 2 and 16 stone.

Might do some research and then check the sales.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I've tried 1, 2 and 4 of your options.

1. demoing in a dome can be useful but is a bit limited if you are mainly going to be riding mountains. It's good for feeling how poppy a board is, pressing, ollies, etc. Not so good for seeing what it is like in powder, on steeps or at high speed, etc. Having saying that, I bought a board (skate banana) after demoing one in Hemel a few years ago and still love it (just not on high-speed steeps). That may be more down to luck rather than judgement as my riding has changed since buying it (to more fun stuff).
2. Testing boards on a mountain for at least a day is a great way to test it in a variety of situations. I have tested a few and discarded ones that on paper I may have bought. I did buy a board after a day's demo (burton process). I still take this away for more of a tour round the mountain, as it is great for steeper terrain and is good at speed. It still has enough flex for buttering around and lots of pop for ollies, though. The downside is that you may not get a lot of choice of what to demo in a resort.
4. i was in a similar position and after having my first board, which was very stiff, for several years wanted something a bit more flexible to see what else I could do. I did a lot of research and went for something that was a little less stiff but not too soft (k2 believer). It was OK but turned out not to be the board I really wanted so it is now a shelf in my loft.

Research can be good at narrowing down the board you are after (there are loads out there) but demoing gives you that real feel for how it behaves. I'd recommend finding a resort with good snowboard shops where you can demo/hire boards but do some research to narrow down the choice before you go. Mayrhofen, Morzine and Tignes have some very good snowboard shops (I'm sure other resorts do, too), stocking better boards than your standard Intersport, etc. Some chalet companies even have their own snowboard test centres.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Great info thanks
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
The thing is, for me at least, that the difference in adjacent models of *the same board* is quite important. So the right length I will either like or not like, but if the length is wrong then I won't ride it. I mean, I'll swap out a board immediately if it's the wrong size. It's that obvious. In powder, if it's too small then you sink (you have difficulty balancing side-to-side and you're tail is stuck in the schmoo). If it's too large then the tail feels like it's "kicking you out" of the snow, especially in the turn. You can stamp it down a bit, but it's obvious to you and anyone watching that you're doing that. On piste it's of similar importance.

So if it was my money, I would try a board out first, and expect to try a couple before you know which the best size for you us. Sure, it's not easy, but the alternative is to hobble around for a season or two on something which is not fun. Some people buy cars without driving them: not me.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Yeah I guess you are right. I am looking for a board for more on piste as my old board is great in powder.

I guess the main thing is I just feel I should change and get something more modern and less beginner board.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I was watching this and it looks good with great reviews. Tried to find a place in the UK that demo GNU boards. NONE.

http://youtube.com/v/RVuBicQSw6s
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
So after a lot of research the riders choice seems a good board for a good price.

I will try and get a ride on the 161.5 when I can.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@KernowRed, If it's stiff and you can't butter and say it has no 'pop' then it's almost certain that you were too light for the board, what do you weigh? A stiff snowboard should be able bounce you over a Fiat if you can bend it . . . though some of us find it all too easy to bend a board Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Yeah I am 16st 7lb so it's pretty stiff
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@KernowRed, Shocked jeez! What is it, a scaffold plank with angle iron screwed to the sides? If you can't ollie it with your mass and experience, there's no hope for any lesser mortal wink
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I can Ollie it but it's pretty stiff. It a 2007 all mountain model. Great in the powder I just feel I am missing so much more from a board. The tech has improved massively since then.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
KernowRed wrote:
I can Ollie it but it's pretty stiff. It a 2007 all mountain model. Great in the powder I just feel I am missing so much more from a board. The tech has improved massively since then.

Hmmmm . . . not so sure about that. The quality of materials for many has improved as have the internal structure designs to make snowboards torsionally stiffer whilst easing the longitudinal flex (along with 'muuuchbrainfartboogeringaboutwith' camber and base profiles) . . . so I can see a little way to how you're thinking. I am surprised that after a season or so your original board hasn't softened up. I can almost touch tips on my old 'Peter Line'.

However, it's 9 years old, you've got an itch to scratch, so the best thing to do is go a play on some rental boards and find summat that feels good for you . . . though I wouldn't toss the old board, sounds like it could be fun on early morning corduroy Toofy Grin
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I think your right, I am definitely just after a new toy, but looking to add to my quiver than replace a board.
snow conditions
Deposit paid on a new board.

Gnu riders choice 161.5
ski holidays
Board tech has changed a lot in that time my 98 Sims is a world away from my 2015 bsod. Generally in resort rental boards are limited if you can get to Tamworth on the 15th-16th October for the snowboard test. They'll have plenty of different kit to try and although it's not as good as testing on a mountain it's better than pot luck. As for boards to look at Burton Flight Attendant, Signal Sierra series, Slash ATV, YES typo or optimistic, Slash Brainstorm, Jones Mountain Twin are all worth a look I've tested and revieded them all and they're good bits of kit.
snow report
Just noticed your above post about the GNU the CRC profile will feel different to your previous board, hope you like it.
snow report
Yeah thanks was going to try a test Dy but none had gnu boards.

I am hoping it is different to my old board otherwise might have just not bothered and saved myself a few quid.

I am sure it will take a few runs to get me up to speed. No less than a rental board would.
snow report
The board was noticeably different, I wish it had more flex for butters but it's really nice to ride. I found it more forgiving than my old board and lush in the foot of fresh snow we had on the last day.

Pretty please with it.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy