Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Self-Improvement

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I completely agree with the philosophy that the best training/exercise is the one you do. I.e. it matters much less what you do, and much more that you enjoy what you do, and keep doing it whatever it is.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I was away for a few days so only catching up now...

under a new name wrote:
@Tom Doc, remember that your consciousness is about half a second behind reality...

Exactly - we need to train our sub-conscious to make quick and appropiate corrections within that half second. i.e improve balance, which I think is something we can improve off-snow.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Mike Pow wrote:
Set realistic expectations for your ski trip.

It's a holiday, not a Calvinist crusade.

Take time to have a lie in, a mid morning coffee, lunch with a view. Enjoy apres and trying new cuisine at dinner.

Stop to take in the views when you're skiing.

Do those things and you'll find you'll be happier and more relaxed.

And those two things can transform your time on snow. It has for the vast majority of my students and friends.

Absolutely, but if your enjoyment comes from improvement then...

I'm teased for being laid back, but I do get bored quickly doing any activity once I stop improving - you always reach a level with any new sport where you plateau unless you increase time spent doing it/receiving coaching. This isn't competitiveness - other than with myself. I'm also aware as I age that improving existing skills and learning new ones help keep you young! (hence the slack line).
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Old Fartbag wrote:
under a new name wrote:
@Peter S, i don't think that works for everyone.

I find skiing behind an expert skier is mostly good for tactics (type of turn and reading the terrain).....but I find that I don't necessarily have the observational skills to spot the subtleties of what is really going on re timing/weight/edge/twist/balance etc. If I could do so successfully, I'd be teaching. snowHead

I tend to be too defensive, so following the guide/instructor's turns helps me ski more fluidly.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Tom Doc wrote:
Mike Pow wrote:
Set realistic expectations for your ski trip.

It's a holiday, not a Calvinist crusade.

Take time to have a lie in, a mid morning coffee, lunch with a view. Enjoy apres and trying new cuisine at dinner.

Stop to take in the views when you're skiing.

Do those things and you'll find you'll be happier and more relaxed.

And those two things can transform your time on snow. It has for the vast majority of my students and friends.

Absolutely, but if your enjoyment comes from improvement then...

I'm teased for being laid back, but I do get bored quickly doing any activity once I stop improving - you always reach a level with any new sport where you plateau unless you increase time spent doing it/receiving coaching. This isn't competitiveness - other than with myself. I'm also aware as I age that improving existing skills and learning new ones help keep you young! (hence the slack line).

To combat that very same boredom, I'm more inclined to take up related new sports instead. Telemark, xc skiing, maybe even snowboarding Shocked

Improvement in picking up a new sport tend to be more noticeable. Bigger reward for the same time spent. I'm surprised how much learning new snowsport helps in my enjoyment of existing activities though (alpine, xc). It even help to improve it too!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@abc, I'm not at the stage where I need to take up another sport - my 2 weeks of skiing/year isn't enough that I'd sacrifice any of it. But I do know that if I go and conditions aren't great then I'm better in lessons than pootling about on my own or with friends.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy