Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Kappl?

Poster: A snowHead
So I've a chance to bid at a charity auction for 10 beds in Kappl for next winter. I'd be thinking of the "boys trip", but from what I can see, the main skiing is in Ischgl, a bus ride away, albeit the local hill has 40km of piste, and there are options for skiing at See and Galtur on the same/similar free bus route.
Or, if we have cars with us ( presumably we would have to have rental car / minibus to get from an airport?) St Anton.

Looking for feedback, on people's experiences and thoughts - of the area, the distances involved, the lift systems, the variety of skiing available : the boys' ability ranges from "OK on reds" to "gets bored if blacks not tough enough" - and any other information that would help me decide if it's worth going after (PS would be staying in the Dorfstatl hotel apartments - anything on the place also welcome - Trip Advisor rates it highly).

As always with Snowheads the wealth of help is legion, and legendary: and I am aware that other resorts are of course always available. But right now, am specifically looking at supporting this charity: so let's keep the thread on track - please!

Thanks,

AR
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Kappl is a small area, but I like it a lot. Great offpiste, and it hosts FWT qualifiers every year. Fun piste skiing, but obviously not as much as Ischgl, which has some really great skiing too.

Can't imagine you'd really want to drive from Kappl to St Anton (it's at LEAST a half hour drive) when Ischgl is just up the road.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Arctic Roll, based on your description of your group the Ischgl ski area sounds perfect. I also really liked the Kappl skiing too, but it is much smaller. We used to stay up in Kappl and mainly ski in Ischgl via ski bus. The buses work pretty well and I don't remember it being an issue. The one at around 4:30 used to be pretty busy but that was just a good excuse to stay in Ischgl for a bit of apres before heading back for dinner. My only caution is that Kappl is pretty quiet - there's not really any apres/nightlife in the village, so you'd have go back out to Ischgl for that.

And yeah: I also can't see any reason to drive to St Anton... I much prefer Ischgl to St Anton.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Arctic Roll, Go for it, you won't regret it. Tons of skiing to suit all types. We only skied Kappl during the day and I imagine it is not as party mad as Ischgl. Pretty sure the Kappl/St. Anton link won't be up and running by next winter wink

Bus service is really good and there are always taxis if you have nights out in Ischgl.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks everyone! - sounds like it's got legs then Now... how much to bid?!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
No idea. Presuming you'll divide what you pay between the 10 of you how about setting an upper limit of +20% of the standard price?
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
It is good little area. Imo nicer than Ischgl.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Have been there twice with the family and heading back again this January. Kappl itself has a nice wee ski area and of course Ischgl just a stones throw away. Not much happening in town at night although we've had some great apres in the Schaffstahl and 'Schupfa (at the base station). Have not skied See or Galtur yet purely because we were more than happy with Kappl and Ischgl.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I'm another Kappl fan. I went there for quite a few years with the family, staying there and mainly skiing Ischgl though we skied Kappl a fair few times as well.
The Kappl skiing is pretty good as stated above but it is South facing and the pistes can suffer in sunny weather.

Ischgl has a pretty good variety of piste facing most directions and plenty of variety for everyone though the people liking blacks at the harder end of the spectrum will need to go to the ski routes marked on the map for the more challenging marked runs.
If you are there on a boys trip and want to party it does not look like its exactly party central though on family holidays we didn't investigate. WE drove up to Ischgl most days and parking was straight forward. I never got the ski bus at busy times and can't advise.
The skiing up at Galtur is north facing and generally very good though a fairly small area and very cold in the depths of winter.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@T Bar, @boabski, @halfhand, et a; Thanks for the feedback. I think we have a plan.

Don't worry: boys trip does not require party central - just a bar and access to beer / wine / cocktails ( preferably all three) before during and after the meals.

AR
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
This about Kappl on another forum

http://youtube.com/v/ZTr0sACQbS8
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I would say go for it, Ischgl is near enough but there is fun skiing in Kappl too, it is less crowded and the lift ques are shorter, good off piste, and although the blacks aren't hard they can be lot's of fun. Food in Hotel Post is quite good.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quick update: got the 6 bed apartment: paid a decent price, but also contributed a large part towards a great charity event yesterday.

Now... how do I get there? Closest airport I assume is Innsbruck: any others worth considering? What about trains and if so from what hub? Does going to Landeck plus transfer work? Is a drive sensible (we're based SE, exactly 100 miles from the chunnel)?

What have you lovely people done in the past? (I shall be asking the owners too!)

Thanks, AR
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Arctic Roll,
Congratulations on getting it.
I've usually driven from Munich which is around 31/2 hours from memory but can get very busy on a Saturday.
I've also driven from Zurich many years ago and think it's about the same.
Having a vehicle can be useful if you're wanting to ski the other areas.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Ischgl is 15 minutes on the free ski bus Galtur another 5 mins [ This assumes you have the Silveretta area pass ]

Fly to Innsbruck for sure as it is the closest. Easyjet goes there.

Transfers well with 6 I guess a minibus will be the cheapest but check out the trains as there is a direct line from Innsbruck

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Mon 29-05-17 18:02; edited 1 time in total
snow report
@TQA, thanks - saw that the trains from Innsbruck (well, maybe it's the summer timetable) they run just three a day - 05.42, 06.43 and 07.45... I think you'd not wanting to be planning on catching those .

@T Bar, ta. Saw that they were both on the radar - and yes having a vehicle of some description may give alternatives. But Innsbruck probably the closer option then.

(Going to have to change my snowHead "location" info for this year... although I think we'll still get a couple of Arc1950 weeks in wink )
snow report
@Arctic Roll, Yup Innsbruck definitely closer but not always the easiest airport to fly to depending on where you live.
latest report
Innsbruck without doubt the closest. www.ski-flights.com can be quite handy. First year we went via Munich (horrendous traffic as was NY) and flew back from Memmingem which was around 2.5 hours. We flew to Innsbruck second time round and it was a doddle. Flying there again in January.
latest report
@Arctic Roll, you've also got Friedrichshafen around 2 hours away and Memmingen around 2h15. Quite a few flights from the UK to Memmingen. Not sure about Friedrichshafen these days - used to be a flight from Stansted but then they fell out with Ryanair.
snow conditions
@Arctic Roll, MUC and minibus transfer if you are in a group I'd suggest. EJ/ Monarch/ Flybe times are poor into IBK (have tried it many times but in vain) and they all charge heavily for skis and bags, Lufthansa into MUC don't. Never had issues with traffic on route to/ from MUC, done it 20+ times and it just works, civilised too.

In an ideal world IBK would work, but despite loads of times I've costed it and looked at timings it doesn't for us (based in the north of UK), maybe does from SEast though (and if you aren't taking skis) Gatwick Monarch. You've also got the small chance that IBK gets closed in bad weather, MUC doesn't its east of the Alps not central. I'd rather travel a couple of hours more and be sure I'm getting there rather than have the risk and paying through the nose for it, £200+ more per couple into IBK, you get a hire car and fuel ex MUC for much less in my experience.
latest report
@Markymark29,
Quote:

Never had issues with traffic on route to/ from MUC, done it 20+ times and it just works, civilised too.

What day of the week and time of day have you done it?
In my experience it can pretty bad on busy Saturdays. Sammerberg Sue who lived in the area used to post about how bad it was and how to avoid it .
ski holidays
Took me 5 hours to get to kappl from munich but traffic was horrendous (until Zillertal cutoff). Have done st anton a couple of times and was generally 2.5/3 hours, so would think Kappl the same under normal conditikns
latest report
@T Bar, Generally late Friday evening 10pm leaving MUC airport, arriving for stop over at Innsbruck overnight by 12.30am, ie quiet time. Also Saturday evening leaving Arlberg 18.00 after skiing for stop over at MUC airport Novotel, never much traffic, 20 mins at the border maximum. Last March we stopped over in IBK overnight, had pizza lunch with Clarky999 and left there 3pm ish on the Sunday. Traffic was worse then than ever before but we allowed an hour for delays and arrived MUC airport in plenty time, motorway was stop/ start but no major issue. Have done it in bad weather and good, nothing like the hold ups we get in the UK. We don't travel school holiday weekends, perhaps that's a factor?

For us the fact that you can fly into MUC via Lufthansa from Manchester for £140 pp return including bags/ skis and ski Sat-Sat, ie 8 full days rather than 6 or at best 6.5 days with IBK options is a winner, a bit of minor traffic is a given I'd say, but no big deal, we're always skiing by 10am Saturday after a cheap and super clean hotel stop-over with quality breakfast, and get a full day skiing and a good evening meal the following Saturday. MUC every time for us, have tried ZHR but times don't work as well and its very expensive. Like I said above if IBK flights were by a scheduled daily carrier, and bags/ skis were included we'd be super-happy but it isn't going to happen is it?

We used to train it from MUC to St Anton but 2-3 changes in Germany is no fun at busy weekends, nobody helps you, folks just stand there gawping - nightmare.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy