Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Bansko

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
It's obvious that I need to do some home work.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The other option is a diy holiday. Self catering and apartment.

You could rent an apartment for 4 in France for 500 ish off season. Lift passes for 4 for maybe 650 - 700. if you drove and used the ferry then maybe 450 quid on tolls, fuel and ferry.

You could probably do a fairly parsimonious holiday in most alp resorts for less than 2k.

p.s. not in half term. The kids would have to throw a sickie.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
As someone that has done both resorts. I prefer the Bulgarian experience - simply because of the rowdy alcohol and good looking women (Banskos best ski bar is called "Happy End"). As a family you should go to Andorra - given the fact you're beginners you'll get better VFM in Arinsal/La Massana than Grand Valira. Enjoy.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
If you are not tied to school holidays then bansko is great. Been lots of times. No point going in school hols as queue is ridiculous as many have already said. Best time for Bansko is early/mid march. Lovely and quiet and great snow.
I have done Borovets too. I thought I was ok, but bansko gets my vote.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Mon 29-05-17 21:27; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Went to Bansko 3 times this season; Dec (over xmas), Feb and March by myself. December was great with most of the resort open, cost me £650 for a great HB hotel, skis, lift pass and lessons. Feb cost £550, same hotel etc but the gondola queue was in full effect. By myself I could get up and around early and avoid queues but for families, I could imagine it would be a nightmare. March was the best trip by far, nearly empty and the skiing was great - stayed AirBNB and the whole week cost was about £500.

I did get skis from a different shop (Ski Mania) than the ones operated by the TO, the kit was better and it opened earlier.

For me Bulgaria doesn't have the pretensions of other countries though you have to deal with some the consequences of it being cheap. Personally, I think it's underrated and gets a hard time for being busy and people not managing their expectations.

I notice Neilson is no longer going to Bulgaria and the hotel I stayed at is now considerably more expensive... could be a sign. However, I'll be booking a DIY trip there for next March.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Bansko is not the most family friendly resort I can think of, but it is excellent value. Borovets is similar, but the ski area is a bit more varied there. For example, you get strip clubs (are there any other ski resorts with strip clubs?) and people outside restaurants trying to get you in to eat as you walk by the British-style pubs. It's totally safe, it's not dangerous (although watch out for holes in the pavements); it's just not 'chocolate-box' ski resort. Don't believe the pictures in the brochures...

Family friendly places I've been to where you might pick up a late deal: Morzine (might be expensive); Montgenevre, Mayrhofen (staying outside of town or even a different town), Courmayeur.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
You get what you pay for.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
You seem to be assuming fly-drive/transfer? Have you priced self-driving down to France? Yes I know it will be very busy but I just wondered if it was a viable alternative. After a nightmare TO transfer, we switched the family ski break to self-drive and self-catering apartment to keep costs down.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

(are there any other ski resorts with strip clubs?)

Soelden in Austria
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
johnE wrote:
Quote:

(are there any other ski resorts with strip clubs?)

Soelden in Austria

well now I know...
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Chamonix had a lap dancing club, but now it's a restaurant.

Just FYI
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
marodo2712 wrote:
What do you reckon?

Puzzled

Terrain is ok, even some decent off trail if you're into it, lift system state of art, old town interesting, grub and pubs cheap ........ but .......

Can get insanely busy, slopes and gondola, and I imagine it could be a nightmare as a family.

Also conditions can be patchy, early season, so if you're still determined to go, book last minute and go with BH as a package. I'd be surprised if you can't get a last minute deal cheaper, but if you're the type that needs one 'in the bag', sign up for emails and see what comes up.

Did a last minute cheapie to Pamp/Chep in late Jan for about £390 HB all in (no lessons), but deals earlier in Jan were about £70 cheaper IIRC. More laid back than Bansko, still some good terrain, especially Mechi Chal, short bus to slopes mainly. Main trunk lifts are express 3-6 seaters, but the old two man over the back is archaic and slow ...... take a flask.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy