Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Where is the biggest rip off resort?

Poster: A snowHead
richmond, I will always recall my first trip to Saas Fee in 1991, when I ordered two gin and tonics and a half pint of beer in the hotel bar. The bill came to £18!! and that was when a groat was still worth having.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Peter B, was that 'groat' or 'goat'?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
richmond, quite agree with your sentiments re the Swiss, IMO if they could find a way to charge you breathing their air they would.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
jab10001 wrote:
Having just returned from the Trois Vallees, I am wondering if this is the biggest rip off in the Alps? In Courchevel 1850 we were being charged up to 9 euros for a beer, and another guest in our chalet was charged 14 euros for a pint of coke! Can anyone top this?

As Rob says the trick with Courchevel is not to buy at the first place you see. 1850 is in general expensive and as you say can be VERY expensive. But compare the prices above with 'The Bar' in 1550 where it's 2 euros for a demi beer.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
David@traxvax wrote:
richmond, quite agree with your sentiments re the Swiss, IMO if they could find a way to charge you breathing their air they would.

Reminds me of skiing in Cervinia for the first time, we went for a weekend as we did not live too far from there at the time. We got caught in a white out above the connection to Zermatt, we did not know this at the time BTW. We only had Cervina passes and yes we managed to work our way down the wrong way in next to zero visibility following piste markers/poles.

Arrived at a T bar to be greeted by the lifty who proudly announced that he was standing on ( his words not mine ) 'nice clean Swiss snow' and we were standing on 'dirty Italian snow' - He charged us all 2,000 Lira each to use his cr@ppy T bar and also advised us if anybody fell off it we be another 2,000L.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
CP, what are you complaining about? 1 Courchevel strawberry buys you two rides on that lift Laughing
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
La Plagne last week €7 (£5) for a bowl of twice cooked fries & and can of fanta. needless to say we did not eat there again.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
aseeto,
Quote:

I am in Verbier which is probably one of the more expensive Swiss resorts and I have found it surprisingly inexpensive.

Wish I knew where to go before hand. I am just back and thought the skiing great, but the prices ouch! Shocked First time in Verbier and I could not find anywhere cheap to eat in the evening, especially if you want wine with your meal. It may be reasonable if you know where to go but those who don't and want to eat out will find themselves contributing heavily to the Swiss economy. Sad
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Courchevel 1850 is certainly the biggest rip off area I've ever visited - especially the Chalet des Pierres (one very snowy day we had 4 hot chocolates, one vin chaud and two brandys for £35!!! Evil or Very Mad); however 1550 and 1650 are not so bad.

I've always thought Zermatt the most expensive all round for eating on the mountain, but the huts are mostly so nice it seems churlish to complain!
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Verbier I thought was expensive £18 for two Bloody Mary's, mind you they were fantastic and served by a very attractive lady. So you win some you lose some.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Lizzard wrote:
Courchevel is ridiculously overrated - expensive, lacking in facilities, not very interesting skiing (yes, I know it gives access to a big ski area but that's not really the point), full of strange people wearing dead dogs. It's only a so-called 'top resort' because Hello magazine says so and for some reason we all believe it.

I completely disagree - Courchevel has a great array of piste and I came across loads of nice people there. The reality is that all the "Hello" people hide themselves away in their ultra expensive chalets and you never see them. Most of the time its a normal resort and there are cheaper places to go if you look - The Jump Bar is right next to the Croisette and isn't expensive.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
My understanding is that thye worst ripoffs happen very (too?) close to home. Most of the poor girls I know frequently subject themselves to such horrors as leg and bikini waxing. Although I appreciate all these efforts very much, it's not only an expensive, but a painfull rip off too!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
David Murdoch, Have you not tried the W, B & C ?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Frosty the Snowman, what is W,B and C ? or did you mean S, B and C ?
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
richmond, my brother had a few days in Verbier before he met us in St Anton the other week, and while he liked the place itself, and the skiing, said the whole resort was full of, and I quote: "Pretentious Tossers and fur coats".

For the reputation Switzerland has, personally I've been to Zermatt, Wengen and Grindelwald, and found them all to be excellent value. St Anton I found to be ridiculously cheap. IMO the biggest rip-off in the Alps is France. Been 3 times to Chamonix, and while it was quite cheap for France last year, this year (according to most of the people at the Daily Mail ski show) it was one of the "IN" places, and when we were there at xmas, the prices showed as much too. It was also becoming far too English, with groups of drunks fighting in the streets, dropping half eaten takeaways anywhere, and emptying bin bags all over the streets. I love Chamonix, but it isn't a place I'm in too much of a rush to go back to. I've also done La Plagne numerous times, and found it to be quite cheap for France, while a bit of a concrete eyesore.
snow report
Charlatanefc, as long as it's fur coats, nae knickers (properly waxed too) I don't mind too much...
snow conditions
Nells wrote:

I'm sorry, its my speech impediment. Very Happy
latest report
Frosty the Snowman,

Thats what happens when you try to use more than one finger...!! Laughing

I find St Anton very annoying with the Auzzie ski bums making their racket for coat charges. I know its only a few clods but it just gets to me...
snow report
David Murdoch, Wink Are you referring to their ski's, or their anatomy when you say properly waxed? Laughing
ski holidays
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
Nells wrote:

I'm sorry, its my speech impediment. Very Happy

have you tried it yourself then? Smile
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy