Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

New snowboard

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi everyone.

Thanks for welcoming me to this friendly forum.

I've been going snowboarding every season for nearly 5 years now and have always rented equipment. I am finally looking into purchasing my own board, ski suit and snow boots and need as much help as possible. I'm headed out to a store in a couple of weeks to get fitted for boots and a suit and am open to whatever they suggest but want to have some idea about what type of board I should be looking into. I tend to prefer Freestyle or powder snowboarding although I do a little bit of everything, and would want a board that could cover as many bases as possible.
What board do you think I should be purchasing? Is there any particular brands that are better for freestyling boards?

Thanks in advance,

Paq

Edit- Thanks again guys for your help, I did some more research about the brands recommended(specifically Burton as I love their clothes) and then went shopping a semi-educated boarder. I found someone online who was selling a Burton Deja Vu on http://www.for-sale.co.uk/burton-snowboard so I meet up with them and tried the board out on the little slope behind his house and thought it had a great feel plus the pirce was good so I went with it! I was up on Snow Dome during the weekend and had a blast, plus I was able to get a couple more wobbly pops with the money I save on not renting!

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Tue 30-05-17 10:24; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Welcome to snowHeads @AlpinePaqou snowHead

I'm afraid the only advice I can give you on this is, "ski" but I'm sure someone more snowboardy will be along soon Wink
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@AlpinePaqou, welcome and please pay no mind to Admin, we love him dearly but he is rather set in his ways... Very Happy

To business - Firstly, get your boots sorted out. Try on lots of boots and work out what works for you regarding fit. Don't get too hung up on technical features or brands, the fit is key. Any boot you buy will be better that the boots you've probably been renting which will most likely be very 'tired' and worn, so the boots should fit quite snug at first as they will pack out and get looser as you break them in.

As for the board itself, the good news is you will have plenty of choice. Most of the brands in the market will have something in their range which will suit the needs you've listed, so really you'll probably be only limited by how much you have to spend. Look for a soft to medium flex all-mountain board and you probably won't go too far wrong. I'd suggest an AM board over a dedicated park board as if you're looking to do some piste and powder riding too, a good all rounder will work better there than a park board which could get a bit too twitchy at speed, and hold an edge better. If you are looking at a freestyle focused board, look for a twin-tip or a directional twin, as it'll give you an identical or at least very similar profile when riding normally or switch. For park and powder then you probably want to look at a reverse camber or rocker board, as it'll be more forgiving in the park and give you float in powder snow, although it will compromise on piste as it won't hold and edge like a traditional camber board, nor have the greater pop you get from a camber if you're hitting kickers a lot.

Don't ignore brands which you may not recognise - brands like Drake or Endeavour have some good boards at very competitive prices, and volume sellers like Burton have excellent end-of-season deals too.

Same suggestions for bindings; soft to medium flex. If you're planning on lapping the park a lot, then you may want to look at a quick entry binding (e.g. Flow) over a traditional ratchet binding, but be prepared to spend more, and they can be a pain in deep snow.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@AlpinePaqou, welcome aboard Very Happy

While I can't comment on freestyle boards, when I bought my 1st board this season these two buyers guides/tests really help define my thinking. The Good Wood guide in particular grouped by type.

http://snowboarding.transworld.net/product-category/2017-good-wood/#tmJcPBhquQCdeUsQ.97

https://whitelines.com/buyers-guide-2016-2017/snowboards#w1xUUaMZkZ4Q0E5A.97
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Richard_Sideways wrote:
@AlpinePaqou, welcome and please pay no mind to Admin, we love him dearly but he is rather set in his ways... Very Happy

To business - Firstly, get your boots sorted out. Try on lots of boots and work out what works for you regarding fit. Don't get too hung up on technical features or brands, the fit is key. Any boot you buy will be better that the boots you've probably been renting which will most likely be very 'tired' and worn, so the boots should fit quite snug at first as they will pack out and get looser as you break them in.

As for the board itself, the good news is you will have plenty of choice. Most of the brands in the market will have something in their range which will suit the needs you've listed, so really you'll probably be only limited by how much you have to spend. Look for a soft to medium flex all-mountain board and you probably won't go too far wrong. I'd suggest an AM board over a dedicated park board as if you're looking to do some piste and powder riding too, a good all rounder will work better there than a park board which could get a bit too twitchy at speed, and hold an edge better. If you are looking at a freestyle focused board, look for a twin-tip or a directional twin, as it'll give you an identical or at least very similar profile when riding normally or switch. For park and powder then you probably want to look at a reverse camber or rocker board, as it'll be more forgiving in the park and give you float in powder snow, although it will compromise on piste as it won't hold and edge like a traditional camber board, nor have the greater pop you get from a camber if you're hitting kickers a lot.

Don't ignore brands which you may not recognise - brands like Drake or Endeavour have some good boards at very competitive prices, and volume sellers like Burton have excellent end-of-season deals too.

Same suggestions for bindings; soft to medium flex. If you're planning on lapping the park a lot, then you may want to look at a quick entry binding (e.g. Flow) over a traditional ratchet binding, but be prepared to spend more, and they can be a pain in deep snow.

Hi, thanks for all your advice. I've got my appointment booked for next Wednesday for my boots.

I've been looking at all-mountain freestyle boards, medium flex and think the Burton Deja Vu might tick all the boxes. (Plus lets face it, it's pretty damn sexy)

What do you think? https://whitelines.com/snowboard-gear/reviews/snowboards/burton-deja-vu-2016-2017.html#GhBmzxRlPIF5dUIs.97

Thanks again!

Paq

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Sun 28-05-17 5:25; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Robin Agogo wrote:
@AlpinePaqou, welcome aboard Very Happy

While I can't comment on freestyle boards, when I bought my 1st board this season these two buyers guides/tests really help define my thinking. The Good Wood guide in particular grouped by type.

http://snowboarding.transworld.net/product-category/2017-good-wood/#tmJcPBhquQCdeUsQ.97

https://whitelines.com/buyers-guide-2016-2017/snowboards#w1xUUaMZkZ4Q0E5A.97

Thanks! These guides look great Very Happy
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I would add only that it's best if you can ride a board before you buy it. Sure, any board will work, but one reason there are so many boards to choose from is that everyone needs something a little different.

If you have no choice other than to buy something you've not ridden, then make sure you buy a board which is designed for your weight. You want to in the middle of the weight range, not at an extreme end of it. Note that board "size" is a combination of board stiffness, flex pattern, and length, which are engineered together for a specific rider weight/ ability.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
At this time of year, you can buy a whole quiver of used boards on eBay for the price of a new board.

I just bought a board on eBay because I wanted something specific and rare... and one came up. I have it now and it's in good condition. It was a third of what I would have paid for it new but were it a more common board, I may have got it at a cheaper percentage of the new price.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
My Dupraz D1 193 (6'3') arrived today Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Tankerdriver wrote:
My Dupraz D1 193 (6'3') arrived today Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Perhaps you should let the OP know how big you are. ⛷

PS how's the foot/ankle?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Tankerdriver, Dupraz boards breathe a rare gas, even in an extended quiver - May one enquire as to why you pulled the trigger on this biggest of guns?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I've got 2 6'0 d1 + boards would love a shot on the 6'3.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy