Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Meals to make on ski trips

Poster: A snowHead
@T Bar, I have seen it for sale in the Super-U in Bourg, but I have to disagree tripe is not lovely
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
flangesax wrote:
I'm a bit confused what the difference is for cooking on a ski holiday and cooking at home... have I missed something?
I was about to ask exactly the same. Apart from with the former, you're in chuffing Austria! (Rubs thumb and first finger together) Smile
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hurtle wrote:
I don't want to be spending too much time shopping (especially) and cooking )
Still no difference.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
johnE wrote:
@flangesax,
And you want something tasty that doesn't take a lot of time or effort to cook.
Still no difference.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Tarquin, I find that some extra time and effort sometimes pay dividends (but just for myself I'll stick to quick and simple).
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Tarquin, even chuffin Austria will be expensive if your skiing there for a season.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Nowt's for nowt eh! (Speaking purely for myself of course) Laughing
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Here are some of the basics we use having ferried dried and canned goods out of Blighty at the beginning of the season to be replaced with wine, olives and coffee beans at the end of the season:

"Chalet" Goulash:
Can of tinned tomatoes
Can of tinned stewing steak
Can of tinned boiled potatoes
Paprika or remnants of fajita kit seasoning, when available
- all heated together in a pan.
The remains of the morning's baguette (as croutons)
Grated cheese on top.

Corned beef nash:
Can of corned beef - cubed
Mashed potato (from canned if fresh not to hand).
Mint sauce
Any mixed herbs that happen to be around
- all mixed together and served with salad crème (although Mrs SL draws the line there).

Tinned haggis:
Remarkably adaptable, with pasta, rice, bread, fajitas etc - especially when lubricated with the water of life.

Skiers are of course renowned for their glamorous lifestyle.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Now that diet would make me depressed ! Tinned meat doesn't really figure on the scene unless it is confit de canard and do people really use tinned potatoes? Does Tignes not have any veg? You'll be telling me you used Smash next. Very Happy
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Hells Bells - We prioritise skiing over cusine. Our diet is a little more varied than just the above, despite Mrs SL and I being vegitably incompatible.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Ski lots, when do you stop skiing and when do you go to bed? Cooking a decent meal from fresh ingredients does not take long!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
under a new name wrote:
@Ski lots, when do you stop skiing and when do you go to bed?

Well, there's drinking, swimming, sauna, shower, hair wash and dry, etc.

Quote:
Cooking a decent meal from fresh ingredients does not take long!

Yes but it's the planning, shopping, (and there's always something you can't get so there's the indecision of what to substitute it with), not to mention the clearing/washing up.

It's why God invented hotels. (And now the kids have grown up and left home we can afford them! Cool )
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@maggi, yeah well but ...
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Hells Bells,
Quote:

Now that diet would make me depressed ! Tinned meat doesn't really figure on the scene unless it is confit de canard and do people really use tinned potatoes? Does Tignes not have any veg? You'll be telling me you used Smash next.

And faced with that why not just eat local bread, cheese, charcuterie, salad? Or make an omlette? Or knock up some pasta sauce from tomatoes, onions, basil and lardons?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Hells Bells, Don't you like corned beef? My OH makes the world's best stovies.... yummm
latest report
dode wrote:
@Hells Bells, Don't you like corned beef? My OH makes the world's best stovies.... yummm

Stovies are not, ever, made with corned beef. It is am abomination to try and rename corned beef hash as stovies.

Suggest you try the real thing, preferably using left over rib of beef. Real stovies are a completely different animal to the modern (and lazy) slop produced with corned beef (which did not exist when stovies were first made!)
snow report
zikomo wrote:
Stovies are not, ever, made with corned beef.

+1 Corned Beef? Bleugh!
latest report
I've done a roast leg of lamb in a microwave on a well known sH ski trip Puzzled
snow report
There is no comparison, corned beef stovies wins.
Stovies got invented, then they got improved wink
ski holidays
Trotters are like buffalo wings...can be tasty but too much effort. You probably lose weight eating them. If you have to eat offal.....liver an onions. Don't over cook it.

But I would have to second what @Frosty the Snowman said some weeks ago. You are there to ski. Keep it simple. Mince * 4 has you sorted for tasty variety for several days.

Although Shepherds Pie would be lamb rather than mince.... food heathen wink
latest report
@Thornyhill, are buffalo wings like chicken wings? I suppose the buffalo, like the chicken, is a bit too heavy to fly.
I like liver a lot and it's quick and easy to cook. Kidneys are OK but I am not really that kean on other ofal, such as brains, chitterings, pancreas, tripe etc. Are trotters ofal?
latest report
dode wrote:

I love corned beef, am with you there.

But sorry, it is not stovies if made with corned beef. What you are eating is corned beef hash which I agree is very tasty. It is just not stovies though.
snow report
I guess we are blessed with 'normal' supermarkets and regular stocks within.
Plus, I know what they sell inside out so can literally pop in after skiing, grab what I mean and prep the evening meal for you lot!
snow report
dode wrote:

I've forwarded your comment to my 84 year old mum. You now have a real enemy. I was worried just telling her.
Her answer: 'Corned Beef Hash is Corned Beef Hash but its no Stovies; Dis naeone ken whit Stovies is anymore?'
Nuff Said.
ski holidays
Loving the recipes here - some absolute crackers. Though for some of you who are inclined to not cook quite so often I came across these guys - https://hu.ski/ - has anyone had the chance to use them yet?
snow report
Student staple - sausages, pasta and gravy all mixed together. Stodgy and comforting...
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy