Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How hot do you get? Is 2-3 layers enough for you?

Poster: A snowHead
How hot do you all get whilst skiing?
Is a ski coat a must in your opinion? or can you get by with a nice thick fleece as a top layer?
I get hot easily and am thinking a long sleeve base layer with a fleece over it will be enough?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@NewSki, in good weather sure, but what about when it is snowing?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@NewSki, it's the wind that will get you. If you get hot, buy a shell (hard or soft, depending on your preferences) and wear thin layers under it that you can remove or add if necessary.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I get hot skiing - a long sleeve merino top and shell jacket is good for me down to -5C and maybe a bit lower. Can get a bit chilly on the chair, but it's ok. Below that temperature I wear an additional thin-ish polartec fleece mid layer.

I've worn the merino base layer and a fleece/hoodie for spring skiing, but as mentioned above, any wind goes straight through it.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@NewSki, jacket essential I think. Water resistant, ideally breathable. Doesn't have to cost a huge amount.
Better to be a bit too warm than risk hypothermia.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@intermediate, not necessarily. If you get too sweaty, you'll get damp and can chill.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
"a ski coat"?

Oh, you mean the kind of coat that is waterproof and breathable, has venting zippers under the armpit, a hood to go over the helmet when it's snowing hard, 10 different internal and external pockets for everything from lunch to flask, even a special pocket for ski pass?

Total overkill!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Jacket of some kind best bet (for pockets and snow/water proofness if nothing else) - get a thin or shell one if you want to layer underneath. Venting is also good.
Controlling heat by head coverings, including helmet, face and neck buffs, scarves, balaclavas, gloves etc is also surprisingly important, as is what's on your legs.
The rest depends on weather, wind, temperature and your own activity level. Minimum I use is polyester t shirt then open thin ski jacket or softshell jacket. Maximum (about -15 before wind chill so far) is fleece t shirt, thermal wicking HD long sleeve low neck top, fleece high neck top, fluffy fleece jacket, thin to medium ski jacket. I was comfy to warm.
I have in spring skied in just a fleece, even just a t shirt, when it was a very sunny hot day ( back up jacket in rucksac) - but it hurt when I fell on crystalline snow, which is surprisingly cold and wet Laughing
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I live in fear of the day I decide it's too warm to wear my jacket that day and leave it behind.. head down the hill to the bottom of whatever run, and then realise my lift pass is still in the pocket of said jacket..
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
It is a "How long is a piece of string" question.

It is totally related to temperature and (as Scarlet said) wind chill....and how you personally react to exertion.

So layering is the answer, with materials that can effectively move sweat away from the body and then allow it to escape. The outer layer needs to be waterproof, windproof and breathable.....venting zips can be useful.

Avoid cotton and get quality gloves, with removable liners that can be washed.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Scarlet,
Quote:

@intermediate, not necessarily. If you get too sweaty, you'll get damp and can chill

True, but good use of jacket zip(s) should minimise that.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
sparklies wrote:
I live in fear of the day I decide it's too warm to wear my jacket that day and leave it behind.. head down the hill to the bottom of whatever run, and then realise my lift pass is still in the pocket of said jacket..

More likely you'll realise 10m down the run. But it's easier to ski down than walk up. I'm sure a liftie would be sympathetic. Or if it's a turnstile type entrance to the lift, duck under or step over.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Themasterpiece wrote:
sparklies wrote:

More likely you'll realise 10m down the run. But it's easier to ski down than walk up. I'm sure a liftie would be sympathetic. Or if it's a turnstile type entrance to the lift, duck under or step over.

I dunno.. out of sight, out of mind! That said, you're right about the sympathetic liftie. Crystal screwed up with activating our lift passes this year, I didn't realise and I was stranded with my ten and eight year old. The liftie spoke about as much English as I did French (as in, we could probably both ask the way to the town hall but not understand half of the answer!) but between us she ascertained I was probably genuine and let us on! I don't know if she would have if I'd not had two sad looking children with me though!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I ski hot, tend to use a thin base and an unlined softshell on top. Often end up in just the base though.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Layers are overrated to be fair.

http://youtube.com/v/EPMqJkxA8sU
latest report
@NewSki, you have never been skiing in proper mountains have you?
ski holidays
@under a new name, so what? He has asked a question and got answers. Did you mean it as a joke? it comes across as being unnecessarily snarky.
snow conditions
All of my friends who like to ski in just a fleece carry a waterproof / windproof shell - essential if you will travel some distance from your base - and that means taking a rucksack of some description.

I prefer skiing without a pack, so wear a ski jacket with ventilation zips and plenty of pockets.
snow report
@holidayloverxx, it's useful information.

Beginners often use way more energy by being inefficient.
snow report
@under a new name, agreed, so perhaps the question you meant to ask was "have you skied in the mountains before"
snow report
Here we are having lunch on the Glacier Tsanteleina right next to the Col de Tsanteleina at 3154m near the Val d'Aosta, Italy. The air temperature must have been below -5°C and there was a very strong breeze so we sheltered behind a bit of moraine. I'm on the left and cool but comfy in: Aldi merino base; Salomon thin fleece; Mountain Hardwear fat Powerstretch fleece; Rohan Windshadow wind/showerproof; Mountain Equipment Liskamm pants. My Rab Generator, Primaloft / Pertex jacket was still in my sack. On the right, Mrs A was wearing everything but was still cold.

ski holidays
@holidayloverxx, perhaps.
snow report
under a new name wrote:

Beginners often use way more energy by being inefficient.

To be fair, the OP did ask "how hot" does everybody gets.

Perhaps there's enough information that the OP was inefficient in his/her movement. But the answer lies whether the OP will be cold when sitting in a long chair back up to the top.
snow report
Zips are the answer!!! quick and easy to open / close as the need arises, I really hate being hot & sweaty and the armpit and main jacket zips get opened as soon as I feel slightly warm, I've always worn cotton as a base layer but in reality it's never got wet because I've always stripped off / opened up before getting that hot and I do run hot, often just skids and a t shirt under my jacket / salopettes when other guys with me have more layers than Shrek
Unless you are staying within a minute or two of the village / shelter, always carry a wind proof outer shell.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy